Topic: Experience and Error [D&L Entry]

Directory Link

Experience and Error

Youtube

Every new event we undergo in our life broadens our comprehension of the world around us and the world we knew before shrinks.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Re: Experience and Error [D&L Entry]

Great job, I especially loved the twist at the ending, radical!  Also the build up was awesome.

My profile picture is deep fried lol

The sound design in this film is top notch. It drives the film. The tiny details are what makes it stand out. Great use of minimalist set so you focus on the characters. Also that electric fence animation looked really cool. Great idea. Personally the inception sound bothers me from its over use. Also the end is really clever. Spoilers.

I really love this entry. The shot with the guy running away is amazing, I just love that one. Also the flash of light when the knight smashes really drives home that effect.
The sound design is really good, it really made me feel each bit of the film.

Overall, fantastic film! Good luck!

Great work nswihart!

This film has a really neat feel to it. It was actually rather intense at parts. It took me almost until the end to get what was actually going on. Really quite a clever concept with a nice moral.

Spoiler (click to read)

That forcefield effect... WOW!

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Superb! I was wondering what would happen next at every second of the film. The effects were great (especially the force field). You have a very unique style, and I like that. Very clever story. This is one of the best entries to D&L.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Brilliant work, Nate. It must of been so difficult to of animated those minifigures without any bases. Completely flawless 10/10!

This is one of my favourite entries. As with your previous film, the sound work jumps right out. Everything looked crisp and the black expanse was a great effect. I loved the theme interpretation and really thought it was smart when I figured out what was going on.

Amazing concept! The shot of the horse at 2:38 is impressed me. The animation and the lighting are pretty well achieved.

Spoiler (click to read)

If I'm honest I felt like the characters at the beginning: I did't know what was actually happening. But that last shot explains everything. Good job!

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8545/28902888022_9f0ab167b0_m.jpg

Wow. I realize I've been saying "one of the best entries" a lot, I didn't think there would be this many good ones.
It didn't take me much to understand what was going on, but that's not a critique. The way it is presented is very clever, and finding out what's going on is rewarding. I found the ending too abrupt, but that and the "inception sound" are the only flaws I can think of. Also, a second viewing is not as effective, it loses some of the mystery that makes it so intriguing the first time. I really enjoyed it though.
Great job and good use of the theme.

The sound design in this film is top notch. It drives the film. The tiny details are what makes it stand out.

Thanks AquaMorph, that means a lot to me coming from you.

The sound design is really good, it really made me feel each bit of the film.

Thanks MW, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

It was actually rather intense at parts.

It was intense for me too BrickCrazy. That first high pitch build up sent chills down my spine when I first found the sound effect, I knew I had to use it!

You have a very unique style, and I like that.

Thanks Rio, I'm not sure in what way I'm unique, and if you could comment on that more, it would help me establish a better foundation for my films. I film based on what I feel is "right" so any comments that help me zero-in on my own style would be appreciated! mini/wink

It must of been so difficult to of animated those minifigures without any bases.

Thanks William, I owe a lot to being patient.

This is one of my favourite entries. As with your previous film, the sound work jumps right out. Everything looked crisp and the black expanse was a great effect. I loved the theme interpretation and really thought it was smart when I figured out what was going on.

Thanks Penta! I really enjoy your films, and that means a lot coming from you.

It didn't take me much to understand what was going on, but that's not a critique. The way it is presented is very clever, and finding out what's going on is rewarding. I found the ending too abrupt, but that and the "inception sound" are the only flaws I can think of. Also, a second viewing is not as effective, it loses some of the mystery that makes it so intriguing the first time. I really enjoyed it though.
Great job and good use of the theme.

I appreciate the review MPfist0. I take it as a compliment that it didn't take much to understand what's going on. It means I'm doing well at communicating visually. I personally find it irritating when a film is too visually abstract to be able to understand the characters and story in it. I feel everyone needs to master communicating visually in their films FIRST before they attempt abstraction. And I agree that the ending was abrupt. It was an unfortunate result of not being able to finish the full scope of my idea. I had to find a suitable ending to meet the deadline. However, I am committed to this story, so I will finish it fully after the results are announced. You are also right about the second viewing, though that too may have been a non-issue had I been able to complete the whole story.

Thank you all for your comments.
Keep Filming everyone!

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

So, first off, I love the visuals of the film. The minimal sets, the various colors, everything.
Second, the story wasn't too clear until that last shot, but at that point it all clicked and sprang into awesome mode.
Others comments have covered most everything else.

I'm very impressed, and I'm sure it'll do well in the judging.

Very good work with the entire film. It was a great story with a nice twist at the end. I had the feeling of suspense throughout the whole thing and finally understood when the queen came and killed the knight. Wow. And the sound design. I cannot think of a word other than on point. Great job on it, and congratulations on 3rd place.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

semicolonstudios wrote:

Very good work with the entire film. It was a great story with a nice twist at the end. I had the feeling of suspense throughout the whole thing and finally understood when the queen came and killed the knight. Wow. And the sound design. I cannot think of a word other than on point. Great job on it, and congratulations on 3rd place.

Semicolonstudios, I really appreciate that, Thank you!

My favorite thing about this film was the sense of suspense and fear and build-up. You made it into a compelling, dialog-free story that was from the perspective of the pawn, and it wasn't obvious for quite some time where he was or what was happening, despite which it all works coherently in retrospect. Really a neat concept, and I thought it was cool to see an approach to the theme that wasn't just literally about light and darkness, though you put some effort into giving this film interesting lighting that helps tell the story.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png