Topic: Lego The Transfiguration [D&L Entry]

Directory Link

Lego The Transfiguration[D&L Entry]

YouTube

A stop motion animation, based on the Biblical passage, the Transfiguration, in which Jesus Christ becomes radiant in glory upon a mountain. It is my entry to http://www.bricksinmotion.com/ Darkness and Light Contest 2015.

Please rate and post your comments!

Last edited by William Osborne (September 1, 2015 (03:17am))

Re: Lego The Transfiguration [D&L Entry]

Let's just ay that I wasn't expecting something explicitly teological around the theme of the contest.
The concept was good, as animation worked out well too. The literal use of the dialogues from the Bible is also something I've already met before, though It's unexpected. My only complaint is the audio/picture quality. Overall, not bad. Not bad at all.

Yes, I thought with the theme Darkness & Light, I thought that it sounded spiritual. About the audio quality: my mic doesn't kope well when it comes to loud, echoy voices, particularly when God is speaking. My webcam quality may not be as good as most peoples, but then again, webcams aren't as good quality as LED cameras, and I can't afford to buy a brand new LED. Thank you for the good feedback, though. All helpful comments are appreciated mini/smile

I thought that was pretty entertaining, you really treated the source material with respect.  However at some points I saw a bit of light flicker, and the animation was rather choppy, I'd suggest hiring your frame rate.

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Hi. I made this quite a while back and have since upped my frame-rate to 12fps. The latest film I animated was Brickfilm Test. The light flickering on the mountain was deliberately matching the voice of God, just in case you thought that was a mistake. Thanks for commenting.

Animation was a bit choppy, but in most places it wasn't too bad. I would also suggest raising your framerate. There was some light flicker, but it, too, was not that bad. Personally, I think it would have looked better if you had not done the mouth animation, it looked a bit pixelated.
There were a couple shots that were not quite in focus, you'll want to watch out for that.

I really liked the little shrug from the spectator when he was talking about being raised. Great little addition. mini/bigsmile

This was a great video which I enjoyed a lot, the choppiness didn't bother me as the story had already got me at that point. I was entertained throughout the film and really enjoyed the calm atmosphere that the film takes.

Good job, William.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Animation was a bit choppy, but in most places it wasn't too bad. I would also suggest raising your framerate. There was some light flicker, but it, too, was not that bad. Personally, I think it would have looked better if you had not done the mouth animation, it looked a bit pixelated.
There were a couple shots that were not quite in focus, you'll want to watch out for that.

I really liked the little shrug from the spectator when he was talking about being raised. Great little addition. mini/bigsmile

Hi. As I said earlier, since I completed this early last month, I have upped my frame-rate to 12fps. About the mouth movements, since my first brickfilm I've animated the mouthes. Many people have said they like it, especially in my earlier films, but as I gradually started to raise my frame-rate, the mouth movements became questionable, especially in Lego Frozen - For the First Time in Forever. After that, I've simplified the quality of the mouth movements to make it look more consistent, but as you said, it does look a bit pixelated. I'm still struggling to find the best way to animate mouthes.

I'm glad you like the spectator's shrug face. He is supposed to look like that, because he's Judas. mini/smile

Divine wrote:

This was a great video which I enjoyed a lot, the choppiness didn't bother me as the story had already got me at that point. I was entertained throughout the film and really enjoyed the calm atmosphere that the film takes.

Good job, William.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it mini/wink

I am pleased with all the positive comments. It came out much better than I though it would.

Anyone else have anything to say?

It was cool to see a another Biblical entry! I was surprised how well the mouth/blinking worked. The chroma key also worked surprisingly well. Although the animation could be smoothed out, not the frame rate upped just the animation smoothed [Most of the top studios often animate at 12fps or 24fps in twos].

But over all I enjoyed it keep up the good work!
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Please don't double-post. Bumping your own threads isn't encouraged.

Because of bandwidth issues at home I haven't been able to watch any of the Darkness and Light entries yet, but once I get back to university around the 19th I plan on sitting down for an hour or two and watching/reviewing as many entries as I can mini/smile I'll make sure to try and give you some constructive feedback.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

@osomstudios Great, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just wanted to say, I am currently working on my next brickfilm at the moment and although I don't want to sound like I'm bragging, I am pretty pleased with the results. I think it possibly may look quite a lot smoother than my previous work.

@jampot Sorry for dubble posting. I will try to avoid doing that in the future.

-William

You had some neat sets and I think it's a solid representation of the scriptures around which it is based.

If I were to offer some critique I'd say I don't think you benefited from using greenscreen in this. Color backdrops or even printed sky images would have probably yielded a more convincing result. Color keying is hard to do well, especially when the depth of field is shallow. All-in-all, it shows promise. Keep working to refine your craft!

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thanks for commenting. I do agree with you about the green screen issue and I will definitely not use it again for a competition entry. I will try using colour backdrops in the future. Many Thanks,
William.