Topic: The Blue Snowball

Hello! Recently, I have been thinking about purchasing the blue snowball for audio recording. If you have one, what are the pros and cons about it? I am hoping I can come to a decision after this. Thank you! mini/wink

Re: The Blue Snowball

It's good and it's cheap. Get it.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Thank you for your recommendation!

I recently got myself the Snowball iCE, refurbished for about $45. It works great, and I had enough money left over to get a pop-filter, which I highly recommend. I don't know how much more the regular Snowball is, but for VA purposes the iCE works just fine.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

What is the difference between the snowball ice and the snowball original anyway?  mini/confused

From what I've heard, the main difference beween the Snowball and the iCE is that the iCE has only 1 setting whereas the regular snowball has 3. There's also the price, which I believe is about a $10 difference.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

semicolonstudios wrote:

From what I've heard, the main difference beween the Snowball and the iCE is that the iCE has only 1 setting whereas the regular snowball has 3. There's also the price, which I believe is about a $10 difference.

Ok. Thank you! Is there anything else I need to know about the blue snowball?

All that I know is that (at least for the iCE) a pop filter isn't absolutely necessary right away. I've used mine for awhile and it seems to work fine without one. I'll probably end up getting one at some point, but I don't exactly see the need for getting one when it works perfectly fine without.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

I recommend the Blue Snowball, or the iCE. They are both good microphones. While a pop filter isn't necessary to start, once you get one, you'll realize how good it is, and won't want to record without it. You can make one DIY style too, if you want.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I have used the Blue Snowball and the Blue Yeti microphones. And, honestly, it all comes down to what price range you can afford for right now.

If possible, I'd recommend looking into the Blue Yeti. It's just a bit better than the Blue Snowball in quality, however, it has many more settings and volumes that can make recording with it a breeze!

However, I decided to save up some money for more LEGO at the time I originally opted for the Snowball, and, I still don't regret it to this day. Sure, the Yeti is better, but, the Snowball is a perfect mic, especially if you're tired of having sub-par audio in your voices.

If you're even considering the Snowball, I'd go for it, and get a pop filter as well. (some are pretty cheap, around 6 dollars, on Amazon) A pop filter essentially allows you to sit closer to the mic, thus picking up more of "your voice" and less of the room's ambient noise. While it's not necessary, it does make editing voices a WHOLE lot easier on yourself!!!

Overall, if you're looking into Blue microphones, you can't really do wrong. They are a great brand that I constantly use, and would definitely recommend! However, while mic-by-mic quality differences might not be drastic, the features that each mic has really do make a difference. It all comes down to what you can afford, and how little you want to have to have to fool around with the tracks after recording them to get them pristine.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I don't have the pop-filter, but I have the Snowball. It is a great mic for a (relatively) low price. Even without the pop-filter, I don't get a lot of feedback when I do voice work. I would definitely recommend it as a high-quality hobby microphone. You might want to upgrade when you start needing a mic for professional gigs, but till then, this mic is great. I record all of my music using a Snowball.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Raptor Studios wrote:

What is the difference between the snowball ice and the snowball original anyway?  mini/confused

As previously stated, the Blue Microphone has more settings while the Blue Ice has one.

The other major difference is the microphone stand. The Blue Microphone has a better quality stand than the Ice.
They had display models of both microphones in a local retail store. I discovered that the Ice's stand was already cracked.
(I assume from being dropped, handled or assembled/disassembled a bunch.)

IMHO, if you're going to put the microphone together, leave it out on your desk and not move it around a lot, then the Ice is the way to go. If you're going to be putting the microphone away when you're done or moving it around a lot, then I highly recommend the Blue Microphone. It's worth the extra few bucks to not have the possibility of a broken stand in the long run.

I recently picked up the Blue Microphone and it's great. I highly recommend it.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I'm also not too terribly impressed with the stand for the iCE, but not because it's cracked; it's just too short. I do have a friend who has a microphone stand (one that you would use on stage), and the iCE screwed right onto that and it was great. If I were more of an audio nut I'd probably invest in one of those.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

A basic mic stand is about $15, you might want to get something a little fancier with a boom, the basic stand is fine if you are standing up for recording, a boom might be more manageable if you plan to sit while recording.

Wow. Thank you for all the comments! I like to get a lot of different opinions. mini/smile