Topic: Film Scoring Challenge?

Taking on from the "Animation Challenge", this thread will hold a weekly or monthly challenge for those on this site who's strong point is in composing music to picture.

The challenge will not start just yet so we can discuss the rules and regulations thst would be taken for this challenge.

If you have any ideas/ suggestions regarding the challenge, comment away!

This is just a discussion thread and will not be used for the weekly challenges.

Last edited by megagill74 (September 27, 2015 (03:31pm))

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

Re: Film Scoring Challenge?

A few questions on my mind that we could discuss before starting are:

Can animation supplement the compositions?
            If so, will there be any requirements/restrictions that the clips should have? If not, what sites should our weekly or monthly compositions be uploaded to - Youtube, Soundcloud, or other sites?

Should there be a time restriction limit on the entries?
            I love a full symphony as much as the next guy, but, for scoring purposes, a limit - like, say, 5 minutes max, would certainly keep things more concise.

How will the entries be judged?
            As I understand it, the animation challenge works like this: A host is chosen (previous winner, or moderator/admin, such as myself) who then sets the first theme or topic. Then, the host chooses a winner - who becomes the new host.

Should we also follow this example? It seem pretty concise and well thought out, especially when moderators are overseeing it doesn't end up like the old Animation Challenge thread...

I certainly would love to see this done! mini/smile Especially if it was done weekly. Keeping up a constant workflow would certainly help us improve as composers! The only thing that may fault a "Film Scoring Challenge" would be a possible lack of interest among the few composers on this site to begin with...

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

You have no idea how hard I've thought about starting something like this. Thank you Megagill!

I totally agree with Dyland that the entries should be judged like the Animation Challenge. Winner sets the theme, then picks the next winner, etc...
I also agree that tracks should be limited in their time. Any realistic film scoring event will only have around 11 minutes (At most). But for our purposes about 5 minutes should be the norm.

I wonder if we might get Animators to donate short scenes for us to score? This is, perhaps, a bad idea, but I'm throwing it out there.

I am definitely interested in something like this, but we would need at least four people... hopefully more.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

I would gladly do a short scene for you guys to score.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

I agree with all of the above, but what I suggest we do is compose to the well known blockbuster's. That way we can show that we can compose for difderent genres of film and bring out more emotion that you can't really do with lego figures. mini/lol

Another option to begin with would be to compose for a style of film without the picture. This would help us improve our music and creation of atmosphere, without the stress of spotting or hit points.

Another good option is to compose to cartoons, animations or pixar films as the transitions between emotions is so quick that you'd have to be very skilled to capture all of the moods. This would be a get starting and learning point.

Regarding the judging, I suggest we vote on who's music would fit the film the best based on some set criteria.

Any thoughts?

megagill74 wrote:

I agree with all of the above, but what I suggest we do is compose to the well known blockbuster's...

While this isn't an all-out bad idea, megagill74, it would certainly be a large road-block to pick blockbusters that are universally known, and would attract composers to this challenge.

For instance; I hate Guardians of the Galaxy, and consequently, Marvel as a whole... So, most any superhero genre film I'd probably drop out on. Also, films like "Citizen Kane," "The Terminator," and even "Titanic" - the second highest grossing movie of all time - may not have been seen by every composer on this site, even though those are all certainly well known films...

It would be hard to choose films that are guaranteed to have been seen by every possible entrant, unless, of course, all films chosen were on Netflix... But even then, we're not guaranteed that everyone has a Netflix account to begin with.

megagill74 wrote:

Another option to begin with would be to compose for a style of film without the picture... Another good option is to compose to cartoons, animations or pixar films...

While I'd personally love to do these sort of challenges, others may not. And, especially since only 5 or so members of this site would likely participate in this contest from the start - we don't want to exclude anybody purposefully.

megagill74 wrote:

Regarding the judging, I suggest we vote on who's music would fit the film the best based on some set criteria.

While I'm usually a full-on advocate for a democratic judging contest - this is usually better suited for entire contests, not weekly/monthly challenges. Besides, I think that the closer in formula that this contest is kept to others on Bricks in Motion (like the animation challenge or the screenplay challenge) the better!

And the current-held formula of "host picks topic... host picks winner" has proven its strength as a judging system.

The problem with judging a film score is that music is, at it's core, a subjective/emotional experience.

While this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va8NR3JkV3M
and this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NMKOa4KY9I

...both capture the emotions of their (very similar) scenes incredibly well, which one you might pick as a favorite, is completely based on your personal preference. That said, as long as everyone knows that this contest is really just about having fun and not about winning, the "host picks topic... host picks winner" option should be fine.

As to Dyland's dislike of Marvel... I think we could still make blockbuster scenes work. As composers, we have to write to scenes that we've never seen before, based solely on implied/directed emotion. As long as a YouTube link to the specific film clip is provided, I think this is still a viable option. As are the Pixar scenes, or cartoons.

Our biggest challenge remains finding enough consistent entrants. I know that a full time University schedule will probably prevent me from participating on occasion.

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Ok!
Suggested plan:
- Host picks topic and judges the entries
- Weekly contest for short clips and monthly for longer scenes
- The host selects any scene/clip from a any movie
- Winner becomes the next host

I am excited too participate, this will be a great challenge for me because I definitely need to get better at making movie scores!

Real Love is Sacrifice, a choice to Love others more then yourself and to put their needs before yours.

The contest will begin on monday the 28th of sept and end a week later, so see ya in a bit.

megagill74 wrote:

- Host picks topic and judges the entries

Perfect! I assume you'll start as the first host, megagill74, since you were kind enough to start this challenge in the first place. mini/smile

megagill74 wrote:

- Weekly contest for short clips and monthly for longer scenes

Two contests at the same time? I'd prefer just a weekly one, but, sure, for the first "round," a weekly and monthly contest can do. I'd love to see how this works out.

megagill74 wrote:

- The host selects any scene/clip from a any movie
&
- Winner becomes the next host

Just to clarify: These mean that the winner (and, thus, next host) chooses the next topic scene/clip, and not the previous host, right? mini/yes Some clarification would be nice there.

Overall, I'm excited! Can't wait to see what the next theme will be. (I suggest you start a new topic for that, megagill, just so this "discussion page" doesn't sit at the top for newcomers of the contest to see)

Last edited by Dyland (September 27, 2015 (02:05pm))

THE SUSPENSE I KILLING ME!!!!!...