Re: Frederator Network

My contract comes up for renewal September 27th, and I'm not sure whether to stay or whether to go.

My channel was monetized before I joined with Frederator, so I have essentially lost 30% of my earnings in exchange for...nothing. My current Frederator earnings (so after their cut) is $82 roughly (and you don't get any of it until it goes over $100, just as youTube does), however my YouTube earnings are about $110. So I'm not sure what I've got in return for -$30.

My channel has expanded massively since last August, but I have little doubt that it's because of how I've broadcast my animations across social media and other forums myself, and by appealing to new audiences; it doesn't seem to be because of Frederator at all. They did retweet Vampire Owls last year...and it made another 20 views.

I sent my Frederator contact an email a few days ago saying that I was considering not renewing and this was the reply.

Hey Jack,

Thanks for the email and writing to me about this. Apologies for the delay on my end.

I see that your contract re-news on September 27th, 2015, so that would be when you'd get released from the Channel Frederator Network if you do decide you'd like to leave. However, I'd be interested to hear how we can make the network a better place for you. We do have a number of other LEGO and stop motion related channels. I'm very interested in coming up with ways we can tap into that community of creators and how Frederator can best help and support the brick film community. Do you have any thoughts on this?

By the way, have you had the chance to check out the updated version of the community? It's much more organized than the previous version and I think you'd dig it! Here's a direct link:https://community.frederator.com/ Just be sure to click "Sign in with YouTube"

Please let me know what you think.
Best,

-Cade

No doubt because I mentioned leaving, this reply seemed more helpful than they normally are. It was only a few days ago so I haven't replied yet, I'm still trying to decide how to respond. I may not end up leaving, I'm not entirely sure yet. I do really want being partnered with them to be a good thing, but I haven't seen any benefits.

One of the things which they've never mentioned before which suddenly crops up here is the idea of a kind of Frederator sub-community for stop-motion, and I'd be interested to know who these animators are (I believe SlothPaladin and spastikchuwawa are among them) and whether there might be any potential for collaboration through Frederator.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Do you think that Frederator is responsible for WB and LEGO gaining attention of you and sending you the Scooby Doo sets to film with, or was that just out of your own video popularity? If you think that are taking your money in exchange for nothing, I'd say leave them, especially if you're not getting much traffic from them. I know nothing about networks, but from what I understand, their goal is to grow smaller channels, correct? If your channel is growing apart from them, then you probably don't need them anymore, so you can keep all the ad earnings to yourself.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yeah, I did join Frederator, although there does not seem to be a stop motion specific Frederator community, I know they have posted at least two of James shorts on Saturday morning cartoons, right now I feel like the content I have uploaded does not fit into the format of the show. Right now I feel the best part about the network for me is access to the whole Audio Micro sound and music library. I have never had of 200 subscribers to any of my YouTube channels so at this point I feel that even the tiniest boost in numbers is helping the channel.

rioforce wrote:

Do you think that Frederator is responsible for WB and LEGO gaining attention of you and sending you the Scooby Doo sets to film with, or was that just out of your own video popularity? If you think that are taking your money in exchange for nothing, I'd say leave them, especially if you're not getting much traffic from them. I know nothing about networks, but from what I understand, their goal is to grow smaller channels, correct? If your channel is growing apart from them, then you probably don't need them anymore, so you can keep all the ad earnings to yourself.

I really doubt Frederator was involved in the process, considering that I appear to be the only animation-based channel to have taken part in the Scooby Doo thing (if you take a look at this playlist, I at number 76 seem to be the only brickfilmer).

To be honest, it does feel like they're taking money to no reward. My traffic has almost entirely come from self-promotion or traffic from some higher-profile friends on teh interwebs.

SlothPaladin wrote:

Yeah, I did join Frederator, although there does not seem to be a stop motion specific Frederator community, I know they have posted at least two of James shorts on Saturday morning cartoons, right now I feel like the content I have uploaded does not fit into the format of the show. Right now I feel the best part about the network for me is access to the whole Audio Micro sound and music library. I have never had of 200 subscribers to any of my YouTube channels so at this point I feel that even the tiniest boost in numbers is helping the channel.

I was never actually made aware that I would have access to Audio Micro. I've logged in with my YouTube account - is it just sound effects that are free, or is there some way of getting the music too?

I think I may not renew my contract after September. I'm going to ask them a few questions just so that I've considered this carefully, but it really doesn't seem to be for me.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I've considered joining once I turn 18, especially since it is targeted to animators.  I think there should be a stop motion specific Frederator community. When I joined fullscreen 3 years ago, I was part of motionpxl, a sub forum for animators. Then 6 months later, they got rid of it, and merged everyone together. I didn't renew my contract after that.

Really helpful replies - thanks.  My channel is probably the smallest on the internet, its not monetorised so at this point I'm thinking I have absolutely nothing to lose by this deal - except to "lose" control over my channel settings for 12 months - whatever that means.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

togfox They can edit things but from what I can tell, Frederator takes a really hands off approach, they do set up regular 'channel audits' which are first come first serve, I have not participated in that but I believe it's one on one they look at your channel and try to help you make it better or something.

jampot if you follow the community link they sent you and check the resources tab and you can get access to the sound and music libraries free of charge, which is a huge boon to me, on the forums you could also directly request that one of your shorts be played on Saturday Morning Cartoon, I've seen a lot of folks who ask get featured on there, however they did not ever feature Beyond the Eleventh Dimension, but I feel the length and tone of Beyond is a bit unwieldy for program like that. Who knows, I feel like your Scooby Doo short would be a great fit for that program.

Not trying to convince you to stay but those are some resources you might find worthwhile that you haven't been utilizing. I've found that as I have avoided franchise and IP related Brickfilms it has been hard for me to really get much recognition outside of the Brickfilming community. I had 19 subs when I joined the network a few months back and 100+ now, but I feel like the subs I have got from Fredorator have just been me participating in the community there, so really boils down to my own leg work still, I'm still hopeful that I might get a bit broader audience and am interested to see where I will be at the end end of my first year of the contract. [But I really do think access to a music and sound library is the greatest benefit]

I have heard of "Animonster" and "HuHa" which are also YouTube networks for animators. Apart from being dead channels, can somebody point out how they differ to Channel Frederator, and why they don't put out content anymore?

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Kd2000 wrote:

I have heard of "Animonster" and "HuHa" which are also YouTube networks for animators. Apart from being dead channels, can somebody point out how they differ to Channel Frederator, and why they don't put out content anymore?

HuHa is certainly dead. I don't even know whether it was a network or some collab channel. Never heard of animonster though so not sure.

I've been partnered with Channel Frederator since early June. During June and July I received 30.2K views, earned 20 US dollars, after the split I have 14.57 in my pocket, they earned 6.24 USD from me. This month my views went up ergo I think I'll get another 12-20USD just for august alone but it's not enough to turn this into more than a hobby. And no they haven't been advertising me nor anything has changed. The views I got was from me advertising on social media and specific forums so it's all my hard work. They earned 6 bucks for doing nothing. It's not worth it.

P.S. The channel I partnered with Frederator is LS Animation mini/smile https://www.youtube.com/user/LSanimationTV

SlothPaladin wrote:

jampot if you follow the community link they sent you and check the resources tab and you can get access to the sound and music libraries free of charge, which is a huge boon to me, on the forums you could also directly request that one of your shorts be played on Saturday Morning Cartoon, I've seen a lot of folks who ask get featured on there, however they did not ever feature Beyond the Eleventh Dimension, but I feel the length and tone of Beyond is a bit unwieldy for program like that. Who knows, I feel like your Scooby Doo short would be a great fit for that program.

Not trying to convince you to stay but those are some resources you might find worthwhile that you haven't been utilizing.

Since you posted I've looked into those, and I still don't think they're enough of a reason for me to stay. I've taken my time, considered my options, and I'm not going to renew.

Thanks for the input guys! It's really helped to be able to talk this through with others.

As of today, I am no longer with Frederator mini/sunnies my contact at the network was really nice and cordial, and helped me through the split, for which I'm grateful. I should also have close to £400 of earnings from the last couple of months coming into my bank account soon (£560 roughly, minus Frederator's 30%), which is also a bonus, so I may actually have a tiny tiny tiny budget for the live-action shorts I want to do this academic year.

On a different note, animators and animation fanatics over the age of 13 can be apart of the network...

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

jampot wrote:

As of today, I am no longer with Frederator mini/sunnies my contact at the network was really nice and cordial, and helped me through the split, for which I'm grateful. I should also have close to £400 of earnings from the last couple of months coming into my bank account soon (£560 roughly, minus Frederator's 30%), which is also a bonus, so I may actually have a tiny tiny tiny budget for the live-action shorts I want to do this academic year.

So how were you able to leave? I've been trying to contact both Cade and Jennifer for days prior to my contract expiring and neither has sent me a reply... which is infuriating because my contract was renewed on the 5th of November when I contacted them roughly two weeks before asking to leave... The last email I got from Jennifer was on October 21st and I have sent her three emails since then and she has not replied to any of them. Cade though usually good with responding back to me, never responded back about this. I feel like my YouTube channel has been taken hostage (at least my pay anyway) and it's frusterating that I can't get anyone in the freaking Network to respond back to my inquiries! I'm to the point where I am about to threaten legal action...

Crypto6 wrote:

So how were you able to leave? I've been trying to contact both Cade and Jennifer for days prior to my contract expiring and neither has sent me a reply... which is infuriating because my contract was renewed on the 5th of November when I contacted them roughly two weeks before asking to leave... The last email I got from Jennifer was on October 21st and I have sent her three emails since then and she has not replied to any of them. Cade though usually good with responding back to me, never responded back about this. I feel like my YouTube channel has been taken hostage (at least my pay anyway) and it's frusterating that I can't get anyone in the freaking Network to respond back to my inquiries! I'm to the point where I am about to threaten legal action...

That's really unfortunate to hear. I'm still in quite regular contact with Cade, he normally gets back to me quite quickly. I just asked him to leave and after the usual responses of "are you sure we can't tempt you to stay?" he said they wouldn't renew my contract. He even sent me confirmation on the day (which I believe was September 27th) that I had left the network.

If you PM me your email address and the name you're signed up to Frederator with, I can email him and try to prod him into responding to you, though now that your contract has auto-renewed they might say they can't do anything for another year. If so, threaten legal action. If they're anything like Fullscreen they'll roll over to avoid that.