Topic: Ideas to Screenplays

--- I looked back through over five pages of topics and I only found one that was similar to this one. If there is another topic similar to this one, I apologize. ---

Recently, I have been noticing that the most difficult part, for me, of making an animation is the process of going from an idea to a screenplay. I noticed this most during THAC when it took me about 30 minutes to come up with an idea and two and a half hours to actually write it down. (Than I scrapped it because it would have been two much work and did something else, but that's besides the point)
    I have been doing some research to see how people write their screenplays (see below for some links), but I was also wondering how you guys write yours.

My question is:

• What is your process of putting an idea in Screenplay format?
    Also, if you have any resources that you think would be helpful, feel free to add a link.
    If you use any specific software, please let me know that as well.

I will go first: Currently, I start by writing my idea down as a story. Once I have written the actual story (in a book like format, not screenplay format) I story board it and try going from there. However, this usually ends up as heavily narrated and difficult to translate into a screenplay.

Resources that I have found:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … creenplay/
http://thewritepractice.com/screnplay-process/
I might have read a few other things, but I don't really remember...

Last edited by Rivvm m (January 5, 2016 (12:22pm))

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

Re: Ideas to Screenplays

I'll tell you how I do mine.  it might not work for everyone, it's what I do.

Some years ago, I used to be part of a small student theater group, and sometimes we did improvised comedy.  And nowadays, when I write scripts, I do it more or less using similar guidelines of improve comedy, thinking it up as I go along one line at a time.  Although, I usually start with at least some rough setting, and sometimes I try to direct it to a specific ending, but not always.

Usually, of course, I revise it afterwards, sometimes a lot, and sometimes very little.

Some of my films are actually just stories I had previously improvised which I just wrote down.

Of course, that probably wouldn't be best for everyone, but if you want to write using that technique, it would probably be good to look up some general guidelines for improvisational acting, as many of them are still applicable to writing (sometimes).

Now I'm not a super great writer or anything, in fact I'd say it's the part of film making I struggle with the most as well. I'd suggest that instead of writing the story out book style first, just outline the story; get the main plot points and settings written down first, and maybe any jokes you want to be sure to include (if it's a comedy). Then go back and write it as a script, getting the setting a little more specific and actually writing dialogue. I can't help you much there, I'm still figure out how to do that well myself. I try to not worry to much about what the sets will look like or how I'm going to block scenes until I'm actually in production.

MY PROCESS

The writing process isn't easy, but I've come to find it as my favorite part of brickfilming. 

I begin with my idea.  Then I ask myself if there are other ideas that I have that fit together well with it, and I can combine those ideas into a single story.

After I have my story idea, I outline the plot.  This is actually a fun part of writing because you get to put down the creative stuff without all the dialogue, scene directions, etc.

When I work on the plot outline, I think of the twists and conflicts that can come about.  And I always try to think of a second possible twist, and a third, that can replace those I thought of initially.  For the first story twists tend to be stock, cliché devices.  Additional thought usually lets you come up with something better, because the answer is more subtle, deeper, and unexpected at once.  This can be hard to do for two reasons: 1) you want to run with your first idea and sometimes it's hard to let go, and 2) it's harder to think of another answer.  But it's worth the effort.

Then I decide what the theme of my story is.  For instance, the theme of Holding Our Own episode 1 is, "eating meat is a part of nature".   Everything that happens in the story draws to that theme.  (even countering viewpoints are addressing the theme, whether or not they are in agreement.)  If I get stuck I recall the theme.

The I write my first draft.  sometimes it takes me a while (one draft I've been stuck on for over a year... one 29-page script I wrote in under 24 hours).  I always try to make sure the theme gets an exclamation point at the climax.  For instance, in HOO episode 1, when Missy is in the park enjoying nature, she sees how cruel animals can be to each other, but unless they are, they don't go on surviving.  Then she stops to consider the theme, without it being spoken, "eating meat is a part of nature".

After the draft is complete, I write my next draft, where I go over the first draft and see if I can make the story funnier if a comedy, or dramatic, if a drama.  But I always try to make it character-based, where every new line really helps to bring out the speaking character's personality as I designed them.

Then comes the proof, where I read over and over again, making sure the script is tight, removing anything that is unneeded, and grammatically correct (unless a person's speaking otherwise), properly spelled, etc.

I find it weird to script AFTER storyboarding.  Storyboards are typically based off of scripts, and if you're at storyboard stage, backing up to scripting seems redundant, unless the dialogue's not captioned in the storyboard.  But some people animate first then do voices which is also unusual, but if it works for them, as a libertarian how can I say they should do it another way that doesn't work for them?

Strangely, I love to draw but I skip the storyboarding altogether!  Every scene, every shot, it's all in my mind as I write it.  The way my mind works, it's all there visually for some reason, and I've never drawn one panel of storyboarding.

It was because of brickfilming that I actually became interested in writing.  I mean, I've written scripts and outlines and sci-fi prose and partially written screenplays.  BTW, this link will take you to some of the actual pages of my very first screenplay, CANDY, written in 2002.   It was written on a typewriter (in 2002!)  http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com/post/ … 5948/candy   But it's because of BiM that I actually wanted to write the best I could, and learn how to write as professionally as possible.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."