Topic: [THAC XIII] Recollections

Directory Link

[THAC XIII] Recollections

YouTube

Made for THAC XIII

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Re: [THAC XIII] Recollections

The lighting and sets are great, with the GLaDOS thingie and the use of the scaled up suitcase being two of my favorite moments.

I also like how you took the jerky animation on the robot and used it to give him extra character. Not sure how much of that was meant, and how much was a result of the rushed animation, but either way, you turned what could have been a weakness, into one of this short's strengths. 

Brick7 did a great job voicing, and really helps to sell the character and her thought-processes.

The sets and lighting were fantastic, especially for a THAC film. That's really what stood out in this film (the interrogation bot being the most eye-pleasing). The animation was pretty good, and the voice acting was great.  I'm really glad you made it!

Sorry if it sounds like I'm copying Pritchard, I'm trying my best not to, but he has good points. mini/tongue

Thanks Guys, glad you liked it! I totally agree regarding the voice acting, Brick7 did a marvelous job as always.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I also like how you took the jerky animation on the robot and used it to give him extra character. Not sure how much of that was meant, and how much was a result of the rushed animation, but either way, you turned what could have been a weakness, into one of this short's strengths.

I didn't intend it to be that way, but I'm glad that's the way it worked out. Unfortunately, THAC's time limit leads to a trade-off between good animation and good sets to some extent, and I went with the latter option through most of it. There were a number of times I wished I could redo a clip and just didn't have enough time. But hey, it's THAC, and that's totally normal for THAC.

If anyone else has any more input in the form of comments or criticisms, I'd love to hear them! mini/smile

As others have already brought up lighting and set design, I'd like to also praise the character design, sound design and music, which all helped give the film a heavy sense of atmosphere. I felt that the story was its weakest aspect, it felt like a clash between cliché and unclear, and more as if it was put in place as an excuse to visit these great set pieces than to tell a good story about a peculiar event. Nonetheless, your entry is very impressive technically in both the visual and auditory departments and it makes me look forward increasingly to Vega Zyro. Good luck!

I really liked this entry; visually it's very beautiful, but I share LiamG's criticism of the story. I'm curious, is this supposed to take place in the Vega Zyro universe?

LiamG wrote:

I felt that the story was its weakest aspect, it felt like a clash between cliché and unclear, and more as if it was put in place as an excuse to visit these great set pieces than to tell a good story about a peculiar event.

I admit that I must agree with you on this point unfortunately. I started having second thoughts about the story halfway through THAC, but decided to trudge on and finish it anyway. I do seem to have a habit of creating stories around a set or character, when in truth it ought to be the other way around (Bump in the Knight is a slightly less extreme example).

The story was incomplete and fragmented because that's all the character recounting the events could remember. However, at the same time, it did tell a complete and linear story with the events in the order in which they occurred. 

Spoiler (click to read)

Basically, the way I interpreted the story was as follows: the main character is some form of bounty hunter or mercenary for hire. She did some sort of job for the robot dude in the top hat. At the conclusion of the job, however, she got double crossed. Her mind was eventually wiped and we find her in the condition she's in as she recounts the story

That's basically what I had in mind when writing the it, though I suppose you could come up with other interpretations. I guess the way I wrote the script wasn't clear enough. Either way, thank you LiamG and bakyardlegos for the advice. It's very helpful and I'll be sure to follow it next time. mini/smile

backyardlegos wrote:

I'm curious, is this supposed to take place in the Vega Zyro universe?

Yes, I guess it is the same universe. (One reason I named the character in the credits is because I plan on using her again in the future). Unfortunately, if Vega and Zenith ever do meet, I'm gonna have to find a new voice actor for one of them, as Brick7 does both... mini/shifty

Very well done.

The lighting was spot on. I really enjoyed that lens glare... your sets are also nice looking, you did a very good job on that considering you had such a small amount of time. The animation was also well done.

The story was nice, though I felt like Zenith's dialogue almost didn't fit the atmosphere to the film. It could either be the music or the lack of sound effects, but besides that, I think it was a good film, especially for THAC.

Keep it going.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Definitely one of my favorite THAC films. The mystery aspect was very well done. The sets and lighting were perfect, almost too good for THAC! mini/tongue As usual, the animation was smooth. I must say, that robot with the light in it was so awesome, I wish it had more screen time! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b