Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: The New Neighbour (September 25, 2015)

http://bricksafe.com/files/sillypenta/newneighbour2.png

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Henri & Edmond - The New Neighbour by Maxime Marion.

The New Neighbour is a 2008 comedy brickfilm by Maxime Marion. It follows Henri and Edmond as they look for Henri's missing cat and discover they have a mysterious new neighbour, who invites them over for dinner. It is Marion's first brickfilm and was nominated for six Bricks in Motion Awards, including Best Film, winning Best Sound Design.

Watch The New Neighbour on YouTube

While I'm sure pretty much everyone here is familiar with Henri and Edmond, I have encountered some who seem unaware that their adventures began before Copyright. The series has been a major stand-out since the beginning, with The New Neighbour impressing during a time when it seemed like every other release was a new duo film. Also, it's about a strange and moustachioed neighbour, which is always a good thing. While Copyright is without a doubt the masterpiece of the series, I believe The New Neighbour stands as a phenomenal debut and a marvellous film in its own right.

What are your thoughts on The New Neighbour? What did you like about it? Did you have a favourite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: The New Neighbour (September 25, 2015)

I was introduced to the Henri and Edmond series earlier this year, when I watched Plastic Love. After that, I watched The New Neighbour and Copyright. I have to say, Henri and Edmond are some of the best written characters in a brickfiilm I've seen. While the first episode isn't quite as complex as the later two, it still shows the excellence of Maxime Marion's skills. The soundtrack is so catchy too!

There's not too much to say about the film itself, except for "Go watch it". It's definitely worth the watch.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Although I knew about The New Neighbor ever since I watched Copyright, I didn't actually watch it for a long time after (since I liked Copyright so much, and didn't want to to see something potentially not as good). Then I watched it, and loved it. As was stated, it's not of the same caliber as Copyright, but still has a nice story, with a great ending shot, imo. Even with poor image quality, and for it being the first of the series, the animation was quite nice, and the quality doesn't detract from the overall film. Probably one of my favorite aspects about the Henri and Edmond films is the soundtracks. They are well made, sound professional, the theme song/melody is great, and they really bring the films to life.

Overall, an excellent video, to begin an awesome series. As rioforce said, go watch it....and the other 2 Henri and Edmond films, if you haven't already.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Hey guys ! I just noticed there had been a talk about The New Neighbour being Brickfilm of the Week here... during the week of my birthday !
This gives me the opportunity to thank those who picked this film for that special week last year, and add a few comments about this film.
I released it almost 8 years ago, and this was my favorite "film" production. I was discovering animation while shooting, and I had a great time trying different techniques. Plus I had no fans or audience expectations, that meant I had this freedom to do whatever I wanted to do ! And it was completely new to me.
I shot the film more or less chronologically. That's why the animation in the beginning looks a bit more clumsy. Things get slightly smoother during the second act of the film, in my opinion.

And yeah, Rioforce and legoguy501 : Quentin Billard, the soundtrack composer, deserves some exposure since he did a great, great work for those films. For some reasons I love the music when they first talk with Vladimir. It makes that sequences both funny and weird. I wrote a paper about the production of The New Neighbour on the website brick-a-brack.com but it's in french. I should try to translate it in english, maybe some people here might be interested ?

PunBB bbcode test

I definitely would be interested in reading what you wrote about the production of the film. I actually didn't know it was the week of your birthday when I chose this for Brickfilm of the Week; that's a nice coincidence!