Topic: Cave Animation Issues

Recently, I have written a script for a new animation with some more elaborate sets then my previous films. This animation is going to be called Cave Chaos with a power miner and a rock monster. The rock monster wants to steal the power miner's crystal. That's the main idea in a nutshell, so now I will tell you my issues. I have finished scripting and I will soon be ready to animate once I set my studio up again. Unfortunately, my cave will have to be somewhat small with only one base plate instead of four like my other animations. Do you think that will ruin the quality of my film? I am still deciding if I should scrap this and think of something else, but I am quite happy with the story line. Also, another issue is the lighting. If you have seen minecraft: The Fighter, you can get an idea of what my nightime/darkness lighting looks like. Do you think the darkness is good enough for this animation? It would be nice to have some help figuring out if this project is worth it. Thanks for the help! mini/wink

Re: Cave Animation Issues

One straight forward answer: Yes! Just do it! There have been many times when I have been in the process of making a film and I've been so unsure whether I could really do certain things with my limited amount of equipment/sets ect... But in the end, I find a way. Sometimes you might find that you really want to do something that you may find hard to work out, but instead of feeling that you shouldn't do that, just see what you can do with your available resources and you will find that you can do some pretty awesome effects.

The size of your set shouldn't deter your from making a quality film. If you only have one baseplate to work with, you could build variations on the cave wall to make it appear as though the cave is larger than it actually is.

The lighting from your Minecraft animation could work for a dimly lite cave. Alternatively though, having a single light source coming from the glow of the rock monsters or one of the Power Miner vehicles might help to sell a better cave-like atmosphere.

Don't worry a bit!  In fact, use that to your advantage.
A smaller set can also help generate a feeling of claustrophobia and being trapped and unable to escape.

It's not about how much you have, but about how use use what you do have. For example, this was a pretty small and simple set, and as an example of what Willow Tree was talking about, my Doctor Who film only had four different wall sections that I rearranged to simulate quite a few different rooms and corridors.

Caves are even easier, as you can easily make minor modifications to the walls, and/or add little bits to the floor that can make it look completely different. And don't forget the principle of "only building what you need." If you storyboard well enough, you can build just barely enough of the set to fill the camera, which reduces set size and piece numbers, yet retains the feeling of things being really big.

Willow brought out some great lighting suggestions that I would like to echo and add to. Limited lighting allows you to get away with smaller sets by obscuring details and set boundaries. Using stalagmites to cover some of the frame could help you reduce set size. Plus, have you thought of some sort of forced-perspective tricks?

Finally, sound design will be important in conveying the idea of larger spaces without actually showing them. Have you given that much thought?

I agree with everything said here. A small set can be used as an advantage. For a personal example, I made this cave with only a 16x32 baseplate and one wall of gray bricks. A dim light, and it looks like a cave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wLi84ZkhM

Use the small set as a creative limitation! Work around it, it sparks the imagination. Don't just wait until you think you have the means to do something. You've got all you need, so just create and see what happens. And if it doesn't come out like you want, don't worry! It's an experiment and learning experience. Who knows, you could surprise yourself and come up with something even more rad than you imagined.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thank you for all the comments! Thank you rioforce and Pritchard studios for sending those videos; they helped me get an idea of what I want to create. I think I will give it a try. mini/wink  By the way, Pritchard studios, did you use LED's to get those rock monsters to glow? I might want to try to get some type of effect like that. I don't make my own sound effects, I just use them from freesound.com. I am considering purchasing the Blue Snowball microphone, but I haven't decided yet. Since I have some limited space, I am planning on using lots of close-ups for this animation. I like the idea for the stalagmites. Thanks for all the help! mini/bigsmile

I used Lifelites.

Here's the Behind the Scenes, and feel free to steal the technique. Glad I could help!

Thanks. mini/bigsmile I might try that.