Topic: "Fooled" - A BrickVideo Studio Contest

"FOOLED" RESULTS]

Click here to view the winners!

A huge thank you to everyone who helped make this contest a success. We did not expect to get this many entries, let alone this level of quality in the entries. All of you guys blew us away and we are truly impressed. Thank you!

The winners will be contacted shortly. If you didn't win, or didn't place in the top ten, you shouldn't feel bad. It was very stiff competition with many videos being only one or two points from the next ranking.

Before you comment, please read this:
To briefly explain our judging process, we had four main categories: Originality, Story, Interpretation of Theme, and Production Value (animation technique, set design, cinematography, and sound design). Each main category was weighted equally, with the production value criteria each being 25%, so when added, the total Production Value was weighted the same as the other three categories. We gave each video a 1-10 rating for each category/criteria, multiplied them by their weights (either 100% or 25%), and then added those numbers together to get the total score for a video.

We welcome any feedback you have, whether that relates to our judging process or what you did or didn't like about the contest. We want to host more of these in the near future, and it's important to us that they are fair and fun for all. Thanks!

Watch the entries on YouTube (as far as I know, only one video is missing from YouTube).
If you own a Roku, you can also download BrickVideo to watch all the entries.

Contact us with any questions at [email protected] or by posting in this thread.

Original Post:
http://bricksafe.com/files/FilmsByDan/brickvideo/contest-01/_Fooled_BrickVideo%20Contest.png/800x450.jpg

Hi folks! I'm Daniel, a Co-founder of BrickVideo Studio and animator at Plastic Planet Productions. BrickVideo Studio is a community designed for brickfilmers to showcase their animation talents on the BrickVideo Roku TV channel. We feature brickfilms, behind-the-scenes and other LEGO videos from various creators, including some from this community.

I'm here to present a brickfilming contest we just launched. Here's the details:

Theme

"Fooled"
April Fool's Day inspired our theme, but feel free to take it any direction! For inspiration, watch our promo video.

Deadline

March 18, 2017 @ 11:59pm GMT
Check here for your local timezone

Rules

• Use LEGO or other building-block toys.

• Animation must be at least 20 seconds - this does not include titles/text/credits. There is no maximum time limit.

• Keep it family-friendly - no mature/explicit content. This includes: swearing, excessive/gory violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.

• No Copyrighted music - check out our resources page for links to free music and sound effects.

• Use of existing franchises (Star Wars, Batman, etc.) is allowed but discouraged - be creative!

• To keep things fair, please only submit videos made after the contest start date. Anything released online prior to Feb 4, 2017 is ineligible for prizes.

Prizes
Generously provided by Minifigures.com

http://bricksafe.com/files/FilmsByDan/brickvideo/contest-01/MiniFigures.com_Full-Colour.png/400x275.jpg

1st Place - $25 to Minfigures.com
2nd Place - $20 to Minfigures.com
3rd Place - $15 to Minfigures.com
Additionally, all entries will be considered for featuring on the BrickVideo Roku Channel

Judging Criteria
Originality
Production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc)
Story
Interpretation of Theme

Judges
Don Potratz - Co-founder of BrickVideo
Daniel Utecht (myself) - Co-founder of BrickVideo & Owner of Plastic Planet Productions

Submitting videos
Submit your videos through the Dropbox at the bottom of the contest page.
Please include the video's title, description, your name and a YouTube link (if available).
There will be a list of received entries on the site.

FAQ
Can I submit more than one video?]
Yes, submit as many as you'd like, but keep in mind you can only win one prize. We reward quality over quantity, but if you feel up to making multiple entries, then send them in!

Can I submit an old video?]
No, that wouldn't be fair to everyone else, so please only submit videos you've made since the contest first started on February 4th, 2017. We reserve the right to disqualify anyone suspected of cheating. Please be honest about your entries. Thank you!

Am I allowed to upload my video to YouTube?]
Yes, please do! You are allowed to share it online any time after the contest start date: February 4th, 2017

Is this a worldwide contest?]
Yes, anyone can enter.

If you're interested in becoming a BrickVideo contributor, click here.

While not required, we encourage you to download and use this poster image in your video.

As a long time member of this community, I'm excited to offer this contest to my fellow brickfilmers. We hope to make this a regular thing for BrickVideo, and I can't wait to see what you create!

Comment below with any questions, and good luck!

Last edited by Daniel (March 29, 2017 (02:19pm))

Re: "Fooled" - A BrickVideo Studio Contest

WOW this is interesting! I will think on entering this ! mini/bigsmile  great theme!

Good idea, I like seeing more contests around here. I'll think about entering this one.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

STOPandMOTION wrote:

WOW this is interesting! I will think on entering this ! mini/bigsmile  great theme!

Thanks, we'd love to have you participate!

VN wrote:

Good idea, I like seeing more contests around here. I'll think about entering this one.

Hope you do. We expect this to be our first of many!

Ooh, nice! I have an idea that's been floating around in my head that might just work for this.

BrickVideo is a great idea! mini/bigsmile

Will the winner's video automatically be featured on the BrickVideo Roku TV channel? Also, the prize money is in US Dollars. Minifigures.com is in British Pounds. How will that work?

-Brickman

Brickman wrote:

Will the winner's video automatically be featured on the BrickVideo Roku TV channel?

Right now we plan to feature all contest videos on the BrickVideo Roku channel.

Brickman wrote:

Also, the prize money is in US Dollars. Minifigures.com is in British Pounds. How will that work?

-Brickman

The prizes will be in the form of Minibucks. First place winner will receive $25 worth of Minibucks, which is about 20 GBP. Second and third place will receive Minibucks valuing roughly 15 and 10 GBP.

Ok. Thanks Daniel!

-Brickman

This looks like a very fun contest !

In all things, we must consider  ... the end.

FADE OUT

This is definitely a great competition to enter - my set building has begun..............

DNAnimation

This looks to be great fun! I haven't made anything in more than a year, but I think I'll enter! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/0X6EoJh.jpg
YouTube Channel : All My Links ↑Click for newest animation!↑

I've just submitted my entry mini/bigsmile

Major Chief wrote:

I've just submitted my entry mini/bigsmile

Got it! Thank you!

I'm about 3/4 of the way done!

So am I mini/smile

DNAnimation

Daniel wrote:

While not required, we encourage you to download and use this poster image in your video.

Can the logo be modified to match the general style direction of an entry?

I FINALLY found the one lego piece that I've been searching all of my belongings for. Since the whole concept revolves around this piece, I can finally begin!

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

I just sent my entry mini/smile

Here's a frame grab from my entry:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2818/32636776494_23dc521914_n.jpgAstray - frame 1 by Winter Sock Productions, on Flickr

https://i.imgur.com/0X6EoJh.jpg
YouTube Channel : All My Links ↑Click for newest animation!↑

Arginnon wrote:

Here's a frame grab from my entry

That's a sweet lookin' frame, Arginnon. Love the angle. Great lighting, too.

I submitted my entry. mini/sunnies

Last edited by VN (March 16, 2017 (06:31pm))