Topic: What is your Post-Production workflow?

Exactly what the title says.  Just curious how animators on this forum do it. mini/smile

That is, in what order do you add the following: cutting your footage, color correct/grade, visual effects, sound, etc

YouTube | I'm making music now. Have a listen. | Website

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.
Need a voice actor? Hit me up.

Re: What is your Post-Production workflow?

My system is the following:

1. Add any VFX needed to any specific clip in Cyberlink Power Director.

2. Once step one is completed for all clips that apply, I open all my video clips into Windows Movie Maker.

3. Add all sound FX and music.

4. Add all titles and credits.

First I get all the footage in order and try to get the order of event/any cutting locked down. A lot of the time I'll do some minor VFX work (nothing too time consuming) concurrently with this if it can get done fast enough.

Once the cut is pretty solidified, I'll move on to sound effects and the more intense visual effects (stuff that takes longer than a few minutes, haven't had anything like this in a while, but if I did this is where it'd go).

Once I get all the VFX done - besides maybe a few titles but whatever - I've gotten the pictured locked and can start color grading.

This is just my way of doing things. The key to getting good at editing is finding your own workflow and way of doing things. Feeling things out yourself and what works/doesn't work for you will help you get a lot better!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I workout everything with the audio first, assembling the entire audio track then following along while I animate. It helps me visualize the direction of the film. I usually spend quite a while then in post production fine tweaking everything, until I feel it's right (or I run out of time).

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

I do my editing on windows movie maker.

After I stumbled upon the Dragonframe 4 beta, I found out that it would support Linux.  Now that it's released, I've moved all of my workflow over to Linux and have had to change a few things.  I used to do all of my post-production in After Effects and Audacity.  Now, I'm using Blender, Ardour, and Natron.  They're all free and worth a Google. mini/smile

I've done a little bit of test footage with them and figured out the following workflow:
- Cut and composite each individual shot in Natron and do the visual effects there
- Splice every .PNG sequence in Blender and render out as .MP4
- Create and line up the sounds in Ardour
- Render out again with Blender, but this time combining the previous .MP4 with the mixed down .WAV from Ardour

I am still unsure where to put color correction/grading in here.

Feel free to continue to post your workflows.  I'll continue to monitor this thread and ask questions.  Thank you to those who already offered their expertise!

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.

My process depends on the film, and in some cased even the individual shot, but my current basic procedure is,

• 1; Import and organize the photos with FCPX

• 2; create a rough edit, do any major color correction, and line up dialog.

• 3; If necessary, run any shots through Motion 5 for advanced VFX, either by using the original photos, or a ProRes clip from FCPX.

• 4; Create Titles and Credits

• 5: Select Music, then adjust the timing of music and/or video accordingly.

• 6; Find (or record if necessary) and add Folly (sound effects)

• 7; Do a final grading pass and the final audio mix, then export various versions depending on the destination.

4,5, and 6 (and to a lesser extent 3) can be interchanged depending on what I feel like doing at the time, as if I get stuck on one thing I'll move to something else, and/or sometimes a particular project works better in a different order.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

I try to do as many VFX in shot as I can, for example attaching objects to each other to make them look like they are flying instead of having to do a whole bunch of masking work (the best example of this is in the third part my short Harry Potter series ). If you reduce the speed to 0.25, you can see that the snowballs are always attached to a brick during flight, which saved lots of time spent masking things later. The amount of VFX editing that i have to varies, as things like Star Wars brickfilms take a lot longer than Minecraft brickfilms, due to all of the lasers, explosions etc. Anyway this is the usual order of things:

1. Put all clips into the right order, duplicate any parts and cut any scenes that I either don't like or ones which have noticeable issues (the latter however are mainly done during filming so I can reshoot them while I still have everything set up, but occasionally some slip through my original check)

2. Do any VFX work (lasers, masking etc.)

3. Add all SFX, music, and record all of the voices (I know lots of people do this before they start animating, and I should probably do the same, but I've always been able to record along with the animation without too many major issues. However, I have done all the voices first this time for my WW1 animation

4. Add all Titles/Credits

Out of my own interest I have made some notes on the average time taken for certain parts of production (bare in mind that i work at 15fps):

1 second of animation: 45mins (of course this varies a lot, depending on the complexity of the scene)
1 second of masking: 75mins
1 second of speaking: 30 seconds (I usually take 3-5 takes before getting it right, but I have previously done up to 10-15 takes to get it right)!
1 second of VFX (lasers, lightsabers etc.):
1 page of script: 35mins
1 page of storyboard: 25mins if very rough, 50 mins if it isn't rough
Setting up a scene: 30mins
Deleted scenes/Used scenes ratio: 1/3

I would recommend doing the same or at least getting to know the time taken for tings like this as it has helped me with planning what time I need to get things done mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

1 second of animation: 45mins (of course this varies a lot, depending on the complexity of the scene)

It generally takes me upwards of an hour to do the same in 24 FPS.  Oh, and I think you did a double post.

Umm... not sure how I didn't spot that mini/sad but since I can't delete it myself we will just have to wait for a mod to fix it. Sorry.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?