Topic: BRAWL 2017 STARTS NOW!

http://i.imgur.com/pSEH7eq.png

BRAWL has Begun!
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, challenges you to make a brickfilm in exactly one week. Starting now, you have one week to script, animate, edit, and upload a film. Any entries not received by July 2, 2017 12:00 am (00:00) BST (British Standard Time) will be disqualified. It's a challenge, but you'll enjoy it!

Theme & MOD Elements
The theme for BRAWL 2017 is Experimental. This can be interpreted a number of ways. For example, it can be integrated into the story of your film, a character's personality, or in your approach to creating the film. We encourage taking creative license in your interpretation of the theme. As long as the theme can be identified in your film.

This year, the color MOD element is a blue] piece connected to or directly touching a white] piece. The letter MOD elements is the letter 'R'

In addition, films must clearly show the BRAWL 2017 and BrickWarriors logos for three uninterrupted seconds. The logos may be inserted digitally. High resolution logos can be found here.

To prevent cheating, the contest theme will only be announced when the contest begins. You can brainstorm ideas beforehand but there is no guarantee your brainstorming will match the theme. In addition, "mod elements" must be present in every shot of your film. These mod elements will also be announced when the contest begins. The first mod element is a color mod. This will be a combination of two random brick colors connected together or touching (for example, a white brick connected to a grey brick). The second mod element is a letter mod. This could be any of the 26 letters of the modern English alphabet. You may use the uppercase or lowercase version of the letter, but the letter must be recognizable as that letter.

To prove that you made your film within the time limit, at least one of the mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation. You do not need to use both mod elements. You can combine these mod elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present at all times. You could choose to use just the color mod or just the letter mod, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the mod elements be visible in every shot.

• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set.

• The letter mod element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.

• The acceptable colors are (as designated on Bricklink):
        Blue (Bricklink color ID: 7)
        Dark Blue (Bricklink color ID: 63)
        Trans Dark Blue (Bricklink color ID: 14)
        Trans Light Blue (Bricklink color ID: 15)
        White (Bricklink color ID: 1)
    Please note that other blue or white color variants, such as Dark/Medium Azure, Sky Blue, or Sand Blue, are not accepted. Here is a link to the overall Bricklink Color Guide.

• The mod element must be physically present in the shot. Mod elements cannot be added digitally in post-production.
    Minifig parts (for example a red torso attached to grey legs) can count as the color mod, but bricks connected to or touching baseplates do not.

• You do not need to include either mod element in the titles or credits.

• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (changing brightness, black and white to color, etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will be not counted as containing the mod element and the entry will most likely be disqualified. See next rule for one exception regarding the cropping of the image.

• For particular shots where including the mod element would be disruptive to your artistic vision (such as extreme close-ups and shots with very low depth of field), you may include a legal mod element in the shot and then crop the mod element out in post-production. You then must provide an uncropped frame from that shot and explain in detail the cropped shot in the submission email. You will have to provide separate proof for each shot.

The Rules

• Your entry must be entirely made and submitted during the one week period. To prove this, mod elements must appear in every shot of your animation (more information below).

• Your entry must consist primarily of LEGO (or similar building-block toy) stop-motion animation. Live-action, CGI, hand-drawn, or other forms of film or animation may be used to supplement your entry, but stop-motion animation must be the primary focus.

• Your entry must consist of at least 30 seconds of stop-motion animation. There is no maximum time limit.

• No mature/explicit content is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to: swearing, excessive/gory violence, overt sexual content, and blatant drug references.

• You must not make your entry public until the deadline has passed.
    The entry you submit to the judges must be the entry made publicly available to everyone else. You cannot create a version of your film that includes the mod element to send to the judges, and then publicly release a second version of your film that has the mod element removed.

• Use of copyrighted material (including music) is allowed, though discouraged. Use of copyrighted material will not affect the judging of your entry. There is no direct score deduction but a film that uses preexisting IPs will not be viewed as favorably as a film that creates something entirely new. Using a preexisting IP is like writing a paper but half the paper is quotes from other people.

• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of pre-existing franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, etc.). Its not original, and could affect the judging of your film. Copyrighted music may be used, due to the time constraints for this contest. If you do not wish to do so, you are permitted to create original music beforehand. Original music does not have to be created within the one week time limit.

• In addition, films must clearly show the BRAWL 2017 and BrickWarriors logos for three uninterrupted seconds. The logos may be inserted digitally. High resolution logos can be found here.

Submission   
Please send all entries to [email protected] before 12:00 am (00:00) BST (British Standard Time) on July 2, 2017, any entries sent after this time will be disqualified.

Write the subject of your email in this format:
BRAWL2017 Entry, [Your Bricks in Motion username], “[Title of your film]”
For example: BRAWL 2017 Entry, Fun Sucker, “Ultimate Hide and Go Seek”

Entries must be uploaded to one of these websites…
1. Unlisted YouTube video. To make your video unlisted, go to the video page and click the little blue icon next to the video title, then select UNLISTED from the drop-down menu.
2. Password-protected Vimeo video. To make your video password-protected, go to the video page and click Settings, then under the Privacy tab, choose "Only people with a password". Please remember to include the password in your email! If I cannot view your entry, I cannot accept it.

I will send a response email as soon as I see you have provided a working video link. I will send a follow-up email if I find a problem with your film (e.g. a missing MOD element). Please note, if you are sending in your film the last day of the contest. A verification that your video follows all the rules may not be sent before the deadline as I receive about 80% of the entries the last day. Please check your video to make sure it is compliant with all rules before you send it to me.

Optionally, for entries whose primary language is NOT in the English language, a second version of the film may be submitted 48 hours after the deadline with added English subtitles so the judges have a better understanding of the film. In order to submit the subtitled film, the following criteria must be met:

• An entry must have been submitted before the one week deadline July 2, 2017 12:00 am (00:00) BST.
• The subtitled entry will be a modified version of the entry submitted before the one-week deadline. The only change that can be made is English subtitles being added. No extra shots, no extra audio, not even a change in color grade. If any changes are found, the subtitled entry will be considered void and the previously submitted non-subtitled entry will be judged.
• The subtitled entry must be submitted no later than 48 hours after the end of the BRAWL contest July 4, 2017 12:00 am (00:00) BST

Judging & Prizes   
The judges for BRAWL 2017 are Nathan Wells, Squash, Regan, AquaMorph, and FunSucker. Entries will be judged on criteria including originality, production values (animation, set design, cinematography, sound, etc.), story, and creative interpretation of the theme by the 5 judges.  Films will be discussed and ranked collectively by the judges until a consensus is reached. The top 3 films will eligible for the prize pool. Entries below 10th place will not be publicly ranked.
http://oi58.tinypic.com/2ihwg46.jpg
The top three films determined by the judges will each receive a $25 gift card to Brick Warriors store. Thanks to Brick Warriors for generously providing the prizes!

Entries Received
If there is a "+" next to your name, your entry was received without any issues. If you have a "–" there is a problem with your film, the problem will be indicated next to your name.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

+ Frame5Studios
+ brickorbrack
+ Scorch Bricks
+ Weasel
+ Headpods
+ The Login Productions
+ thistof
+ Sonjira
+ FeinsteinFilms (updated)
+ Goblin animations (updated)
+ TheClassicSpaceman
+ Cheddarbob10
+ Arginnon
+ Infinity Prime Studios
+ 4clem4
+ Shawarma Studios
+ Rsteenoven
+ Aiwha/France & Alex/Iguana/Legoander/Maxou44/Skrins
+ Bricks & Pieces
+ twickabrick
+ rioforce
+ Penta
+ MBstudio
+ END films
- Mustache Maniacs (late)
-  filmseagull8 (late)
- natebrickstudioz (late)
_______________________________________________________________________________________

SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED

Last edited by Fun Sucker (July 2, 2017 (08:34am))

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: BRAWL 2017 STARTS NOW!

Yes! I've been watching this countdown for the past ten minutes.

I've been waiting 90 mini/lol

Interesting theme aswell! mini/yes

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Four Hours for me.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Great theme. We'll see if I can actually finish this year mini/tongue

Let the fun begin!

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I hope I can enter, though I'm not sure what my entry would be for this year.

Best of luck to everyone!

Got Brickfilms if you want em'
Youtube Channel | Twitter | Insta

Thought I would be animating my Spirit of Adventure Contest by this point. As it is, I haven't quite got to that point yet, but I think I still want to focus primarily on that. I mean, I would really like to take part in BRAWL this year, but I don't think I can. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday, plus I'm in work on Wednesday and Thursday. I just don't think I'll have enough time. Plus, I might actually start filming my Summer contest entry by the end of the week. Oh well. Good luck to all who take part. I will be available on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday for voice acting, though.

Experimental that's going to be a tough one

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

imma make a movie with no hands. it'll be an experiment har har har

no?

ok.

I'll keep my hands and just make a movie anyway.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

It's on! mini/sunnies

https://i.imgur.com/0X6EoJh.jpg
YouTube Channel : All My Links ↑Click for newest animation!↑

"There is a 97.6% chance of failure" - K2-SO

This is becoming very relevant for me for this contest mini/lol

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Actually, looking at my position, I think I'll save myself the hassle of juggling two projects due at roughly the same time and not enter BRAWL this time round. Good luck to all who enter, and may the odds be ever in your favour mini/tongue

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Love the theme but mixxed up 25th at 12 am with pm, oh well, to work then. mini/tongue

well, let's see...

Going to call the massive amounts of Lab and Scientist brickfilms.

Best of luck to everyone

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

CarrollFilms wrote:

Going to call the massive amounts of Lab and Scientist brickfilms.

Best of luck to everyone

Don't forget those are going to be typical white labs with blue markings. mini/lol

We should do something outside the box. Experiments can be other things too. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Weasel wrote:

We should do something outside the box. Experiments can be other things too. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

Thinking outside the box is definitely encouraged.

In case anyone is struggling to interpret the theme, I'll leave a link below to give you one idea (one of many).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimental_film

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Fun Sucker wrote:
Weasel wrote:

In case anyone is struggling to interpret the theme, I'll leave a link below to give you one idea (one of many).

So this is not mad scientist experiment?

Weasel wrote:
Fun Sucker wrote:
Weasel wrote:

So this is not mad scientist experiment?

You CAN go that route, but that's just if you want to take "experimental" literally. The style of your film can be experimental, and that's your connnection to the theme (read the article Fun Sucker linked, it really helps explain it).