Topic: Using the scenes feature in Dragonframe

I think this is probably the best place to put this, and this may apply to others as well who don't use Dragonframe if there is something similar in the software they use but seeing as there is a feature to have several different scenes, do people here on BiM animate an entire brickfilm in just one scene (like me) or do people literally film each scene in a new scene and then compile all the clips together at the end? I had thought the way I currently do it would be the norm, but I believe others do the latter and I was wondering if there were any benefits of any kind to do it the other way.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Re: Using the scenes feature in Dragonframe

I usually animate a piece of animation in one scene then stick all the scenes at the end.

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

I do like I saw Forlorn Creature do in his Dragonframe tutorial. I make one Scene for the entire film and just use the Takes feature in Dragonframe for each shot of the movie. Then i just take the pics from the takes and import them into the editor.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I do the same thing that rioforce does.  Being able to switch between my individual shots (what DF calls Takes) very quickly is helpful.  Plus, when you create a new Take, your camera settings and some of your other settings carry over from your previous one.  It's less 'hassle' since you probably won't change all of your settings for every shot.

YouTube | I'm making music now. Have a listen. | Website

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.
Need a voice actor? Hit me up.

Interesting to here from all of you! Thanks for all of the responses, I will have a look at perhaps reconfiguring the way I work with Dragonframe at some point in the future.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I too do the same as rioforce for a coupl of reasons, it allows me to at a glance see how many frames are in each scene, lets me switch between shots easily and also my camera and video settings stay the same, to each his own though at the end of the day I guess mini/lol

"Faith is seeing light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness"
"The meaning of life is to find your gift, the purpose of life is to give it away"~ Pablo Picasso
"If you believe it you can achieve it"

I create a new scene for every shot. I think it makes the organisation easier because you don't have to film every scene in the right order. Plus it's easier to rearrange shots in post and add effects/colorgrading to only one specific shot.
The takes are what I use if I have multiple elements in a shot wich I want to combine in post (eg. foreground and background plate)

Ice Fox wrote:

I create a new scene for every shot. I think it makes the organisation easier because you don't have to film every scene in the right order. Plus it's easier to rearrange shots in post and add effects/colorgrading to only one specific shot.
The takes are what I use if I have multiple elements in a shot wich I want to combine in post (eg. foreground and background plate)

An interesting way of doing it! Seems to work for you, as your work is really good! I would probably give it a go if I was that organised of a person mini/lol

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I use a new scene for every shot because things like the test folder get pretty crazy as lighting and camera levels will change with different scenes and I want all the camera info to not be changed and incorrect on old takes, also because sometimes I use double or triple exposures that can screw up using the take feature down the line for shots you animate after it because, I believe, you can't remove an exposure once you have shot a take with more then one. Also it really messes up my file structure and finding the raw files for the takes become much harder if you are working on a project over a long period of time as you have to hunt through which take the shot you are actually looking for was in, which is further complicated if you shoot scenes out of order and do re-shoots. I have used the all in one scene option before and it always is a bit of a pain once I am working on the edit.

SlothPaladin wrote:

I use a new scene for every shot because things like the test folder get pretty crazy as lighting and camera levels will change with different scenes and I want all the camera info to not be changed and incorrect on old takes, also because sometimes I use double or triple exposures that can screw up using the take feature down the line for shots you animate after it because, I believe, you can't remove an exposure once you have shot a take with more then one. Also it really messes up my file structure and finding the raw files for the takes become much harder if you are working on a project over a long period of time as you have to hunt through which take the shot you are actually looking for was in, which is further complicated if you shoot scenes out of order and do re-shoots. I have used the all in one scene option before and it always is a bit of a pain once I am working on the edit.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind when I start some bigger projects!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?