Topic: "The Poor Man With Big Dreams" Production Log

This is my production log for my upcoming film The Poor Man With Big Dreams. Production is coming along well so far. Here's a few screenshots. The first one I think is the best. There was a bunch of different things to do both in production and post-production to get that effect.

https://preview.ibb.co/cxfK3w/Snapshot.jpg

https://preview.ibb.co/kDfabG/Snapshot_2.jpg

Music will be a very big part of this film. There are many different emotional moods and the music will fit accordingly. More updates coming soon!

Re: "The Poor Man With Big Dreams" Production Log

Sounds interesting, can't wait!

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

How did you make the fire? It's fitting the scene perfectly.

Raytistic wrote:

How did you make the fire? It's fitting the scene perfectly.

Where do I start. That was really hard. First thing I did was I built the black wall in the back of the fireplace with a whole in it to pass a flickering orange light through. Then I took one picture with bright LED lights separate from the rest so that I could see everything better. Then I filmed the rest of the scene with the dark lights. I opened the LED lighted one with my image editor (Paint.NET) and on a new layer traced green around all the holes in the fireplace screen. I then deleted the images layer underneath so I had a green outline image with a transparent background and then exported it. Then I overlaid the green outline over the video file in my video editor (Cyberlink Power Director 14. some version of Power Director is pre-installed on most HP desktops and laptops.) and exported it. So now I had the video with green in all the screen holes so I could chroma key it out. Then I opened that new video and keyed out the green. Then I opened the fire clip underneath the main video and resized it how I wanted making sure the top of the flame stopped at the top of the chimney. Now it appeared that the bottom of the flame was behind the screen holes. To show the rest of the flame I copied the flame clip from underneath the video and pasted it on top. Now it was over the video in the same position as the other clip. This created a dilemma, though because since the second fire clip was on top, it covered the underneath clip I worked so hard on. So I created a mask in my image editor. To do this I reused the LED image so I could see it better and traced around the top of the screen on a new layer and deleted the bottom layer like the last time so I had my mask on a transparent background. Then I filled in my trace with white. When I opened this as a mask on the top fire clip, it was only visible along my mask so you could see the bottom clip through the screen holes. Then, between the video and the top fire clip, I created a black circle to cover up the flickering orange light bulb so you couldn't see it through some of the small holes in the fire. I'm sure that was probably a little hard to understand. I'm making a tutorial soon though.

Last edited by Brickman (January 31, 2020 (11:11am))

Here's a snapshot from a new scene.

https://i.imgur.com/grLhFCM.jpg

I used Sqirlz Water Reflections to make the rain. It's a really good piece of free software. There's also a really good two part tutorial by Doug Vandegrift here and here.

Last edited by Brickman (February 27, 2018 (11:34am))

Wow... I like it a lot! Thanks for showing me the program, I really like the free software. mini/bigsmile cant wait to see how this turns out...

Cool shot, only critique is that if this is set at night, the rain wouldn't be that visible.

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

No it's just a gloomy, dark day. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well it's been a while since my last update. I haven't really been able to get any work done this month. But here we are with a new one.

https://i.imgur.com/97sKmdL.jpg

Looks cool. I love your lighting effects. Can you do a video or something on how you did those? mini/smile

Yep, I was planning on it. I'm going to release it right after the movie is complete.

Nice. Looking forward to it! mini/smile

Dang, you're making a movie about me? hehe

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

@thistof You beat me to it mini/lol

For real though, this looks awesome! Mind you, you might want to fix the date on your signature, as the 21st has already passed mini/wink

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Dragon Brick Studios wrote:

@thistof You beat me to it mini/lol
For real though, this looks awesome! Mind you, you might want to fix the date on your signature, as the 21st has already passed mini/wink

LOL! Yeah I'm a little late. Production will resume tonight though.

Last edited by Brickman (February 26, 2018 (10:25pm))

Can't wait to see the finished result! mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Sorry its been a while since I've posted an update. I know I'm pretty behind schedule, but I've been really busy the last two months. Production will resume next weekend and the film will be released (hopefully) in Febuary-March.

https://i.imgur.com/LGEbl9H.png

This is one of my favorite shots so far. I'm a little more than 3/4 of the way done with this film so hopefully late Feburary!

I can't wait to see it!

Well, I have lots of time to work this week because I'm off school all week for a local holiday. mini/bigsmile But I can't start more production until tomorrow because I have to spend the whole day re-recording every line! mini/eek Since this is a narrated film, all the lines are by the same voice. Well I wanted to change a line only to realize there is a dramatic change in the sound to the audio for some reason! If I have a line go into another one with different sounding audio it sounds really bad as you would think. So today is another line recording day. Ugh, my least favorite kind! Oh well, I'll post another update tomorrow.

Last edited by Brickman (January 31, 2020 (11:17am))