Topic: Best file format/codec for rendering videos

Hi,

I've recently experienced some drastic quality issues with my rendered videos.
I shoot my animations in Dragonframe and use the HQ Jpgs for further post production. However when I'm done with compositing, editing and colorgrading I render out my video as an mp4 or mov (with H.264) and everything looks really compressed.
I often end up with banding or colored noise in the dark areas of the image. That is really unsatisfying because I started of with good images and I often feel that it gets ruined in post.
Generally I keep brightness and color adjustments very subtle so I think it's a problem of the file format/codec I'm using

Has anyone suggestions for a codec or format for loosing less quality?

Re: Best file format/codec for rendering videos

Is there any way for you to change the bit rate of the codec you are using? It sounds like it's a bit rate issue. The bit rate is basically a way of saying how much compression the files need. A lower bit rate means that the file takes up less space. The drawback is that the file needs more compression making the picture quality worse.

You should be able to change the bit rate when you/renderyour video. I don't have DragonFrame, though, so I can't speak for that software specifically.

Are you rendering your jpg's into video with Dragonframe? I don't have that program, but you could try a different video editing program. I've had some okay results with Wondershare Filmora (they have a free version you can try out, the paid version has some additional bells and whistles).

Also, how big are your source jpg's? If you've got 4K type jpg's and are exporting to 720p for Youtube, that might be over compressing.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

I've been having this problem as well. In my video 'LEGO white christmas' in the beggining when my intro fades out, there are strange diamond shapes and squares. As well as audio, when the fizzy soda-pouring noise plays, it sounds awful and distorts a couple of times. I use Da Vinci Resolve for editing my videos. It bugs me, but my family says that it looks fine. mini/sad

Hi Ice Fox!
I use Adobe Premiere to edit, and then HandBrake to decrease file size. I've also used DragonFrame, but, just for capturing frames and not editing, so I haven't faced an issue yet.
The problem may belong to your computer, DragonFrame or any other factor, so, can you please give more detail? (Including images is recommended.)

Could it be youtube's compression making things worse? I'm noticing a little flick here and there, like one frame is a little dark, but only on youtube, my original files don't have that problem.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thank you all for the answers! But I think I found the problem. I recently got a new pre callibrated monitor and just realized that the colours on my old one (about 12 years old) are awefully off mini/lol . It was much too dark and had a smaller colorspace. With the new one things work much better. I also tried out rendering out my footage in png files instead movs (from the compositing to the editing program). With that I already got much less noise. Do you still have any recommendations for a format for uploading Brickfilms to Youtube? Like mp4, mov, dnxhd or something else?

MP4 is the best for YouTube, but not all programs can open them without downloading a codec. Most of these are smaller scale programs however. The most commonly used video type is AVI. I use WMV, but that's not ideal and is pretty much impossible to use with OS X. So I would say either MP4 or AVI.

-Brickman

MP4 is the best by far. AVI is antiquated, WMV is dead, and MOV is even more limited than MP4. Unless you're using Windows XP, you'll be able to open MP4s. You may need to check on your bitrate if your videos are looking compressed.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Does converting a wmv. file to mp4 change the quality of a video? My software is pretty outdated, so it only lets me export in wmv.

@rioforce Okay, thanks for clarifying!

Raptor Studios wrote:

Does converting a wmv. file to mp4 change the quality of a video? My software is pretty outdated, so it only lets me export in wmv.

If it's already a WMV, don't convert it. Every time something renders or converts it degrades in quality. If it's WMV, upload it as WMV.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b