Topic: "Lightsaber"

"Lightsaber"

Been meaning to do another stop-motion lightsaber test, and now its here.
I know the light flicker is quite apparent in this one, but I would really appreciate feedback regarding the effect and animation.

Thanks!

Re: "Lightsaber"

The effect and animation are great! I didn’t even notice the flicker that much. I think you’ve mastered this effect, and can go on to use it in a “real” video!

I’m curious, what did you use? I’m trying to do something like this too!

A good start, what software did you use?
If you look at lightsaber footage, what they did on the films was trace the outline of the moving stick that was filmed, including any motion blur, so when the lightsaber moves really fast it has sort of a fan shape to it. Now obviously stop-motion has no motion blur, so you'll have to imagine what the motion blur would look like and create the appropriate fan shape yourself.
Also if there's any way to blur the colored part that would help too.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

AwesomepantsFilms wrote:

The effect and animation are great! I didn’t even notice the flicker that much. I think you’ve mastered this effect, and can go on to use it in a “real” video!
I’m curious, what did you use? I’m trying to do something like this too!

Ah thanks very much! For the lightsaber effect, I used the Video Copilot lightsaber plug-in, which would be saved as a preset and used in Adobe After Effects. The tutorial I used for this effects was on Fancy Pants' Youtube Channel.

thistof wrote:

A good start, what software did you use?
If you look at lightsaber footage, what they did on the films was trace the outline of the moving stick that was filmed, including any motion blur, so when the lightsaber moves really fast it has sort of a fan shape to it. Now obviously stop-motion has no motion blur, so you'll have to imagine what the motion blur would look like and create the appropriate fan shape yourself.
Also if there's any way to blur the colored part that would help too.

Thanks! The software I used for frame capture was Dragonframe, and for doing the actual effect I used Adobe After Effects along with Premiere Pro to edit the final thing.
I understand what you mean when it comes to the lightsaber's motion blur. I tried to tackle this by widening the end of the lightsaber blade when the movement became pretty fast, but the plug-in I used offered a motion blur feature, however I felt it didn't really work with what I was trying to achieve,