Topic: Make my computer think DSLR is webcam

So I have a canon SL1 (100D) and I'm not willing to pay 300$ for dragonframe and most good free programs support only webcams ( maybe not good programs but they're better than shooting without onion skinning).
How could I make my DSLR be recognized as a webcam? I've seen I can use a capture card and I have an elgato, but I don't know if that would work

thanks lol mini/confused

Re: Make my computer think DSLR is webcam

You can pay for this program that makes your DSLR as your web camera, however you will not get DSLR quality from it. Your cameras live view is not the main sensor so you will be using the preview camera as your main camera.

It looks like the cheapest licence is still $39.95 and I don't really see the point of buying a whole DSLR just to use the cheaper internal live camera. I tell most people, if you don't want to buy DragonFrame you shouldn't waste your money on a DSLR, just get a nice high def web camera.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Digicam Control has an onion skin feature in it. Like Sloth said, you'd have to use your camera as a webcam only for previewing, in a program like HeliumFrog or iStopmotion or Stopmotion studio while using a remote shutter like a remote or DigiCamControl for the actual capture action of the camera. In theory it'd work, it's just complicated.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Digicam Control has an onion skin feature in it. Like Sloth said, you'd have to use your camera as a webcam only for previewing, in a program like HeliumFrog or iStopmotion or Stopmotion studio while using a remote shutter like a remote or DigiCamControl for the actual capture action of the camera. In theory it'd work, it's just complicated.

i tried to use digicam control but it's quite tedious to use and it's pretty slow. I guess I'll just have to save up for dragonframe

The other alternative is buying a webcam. As you've already seen, happening to already own a DSLR is not exactly a passport to making stop motion videos with good image quality. In addition to Dragonframe being necessary for most folks using DSLRs, it can be hard to get good results at LEGO scale from a dslr without spending several hundred dollars on prime lenses suited to stop motion.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

SlothPaladin wrote:

just get a nice high def web camera.

Sméagol wrote:

The other alternative is buying a webcam.

Any suggestions on somewhat near-DSLR level webcams. Most webcams these days are still just 1080p, aren't they?

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

You might want to just get a nice 1080p webcam, my webcam is only 720p and is very old so it's not ideal, I do have a ton of lenses and Dragonframe already so I don't really need to go back to them. The thing is I think to get a reasonable DSLR setup for stop motion you are going to want to spend around $1000, the camera itself is just a small part of the whole setup.

There is nothing wrong with 1080p and with good lighting you can get some really great results, you won't have as much freedom as you have once you are fully setup with a DSLR but you still have a lot of choices.

Good webcams like the Logitech c920 can get some great images. While 1080p means you won't have much if any room for post production camera movement or cropping (plus a bit lower image quality) it will work with most free software and the Logitech software allows you to adjust everything hand free. So it good for those with a lower budget and/or starting out.

Also their light weight and small size makes it quite easy to use your Lego to make various dollies and other rigs as well as fitting them into your sets.

actually, I used a program called Animashooter (trial version). It's 48$ and it works great with my camera. Here's a little test with it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdBn7Ac … e=youtu.be