Re: The Doctor Who Discussion thread(SPOILER ALERT!)

So...uh...Peter Capaldi. Heard he's going to be good...

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

So...uh...Jodie Whittaker. Heard she's going to be good...

(seriously this thread needs a nice 4-year bump. Any thoughts on the Capaldi era/hopes for the new season/Doctor?)

oof I never even knew about this thread. mini/tongue

I think the Capaldi era got better towards the end, and it definitely features some of my favourite moments from doctor who. That being said, I think I still prefer all of the previous doctors since the reboot over him, but I think that's more to do with the writing aspect than the acting.

I'm very interested to see how Jodie Whittaker takes the role of the doctor, and where the show as a whole goes in the future. I've heard rumours about some of the stuff that could be appearing in terms of villains and storylines, so it sounds like it'll be pretty good.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I have the opposite opinion, DBS. I liked Capaldi in the beginning better, especially with Clara. The writing seemed to go downhill near the end of Capaldi's era. So I'm not hopeful for the new season. I feel like they're going to write the show very heavy handed and on the nose with social politics and how she's just as good, but better, than every doctor before her and really emphasize the feminist aspect of the character instead of just showing us how it ought to be, they'll really drive the point into the audience's skulls (as I felt they did with most of the ending of Capaldi).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

See, in my opinion the Capaldi run has been the height of the entire rebooted series. While Capaldi isn't my favorite Doctor, he's certainly the best actor out of all of them. I'm very interested in the new season as the teaser looks gorgeous and we have a new showrunner, although Chris Chibnall doesn't have the best track record "42," "The Power of Three," "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" so that really concerns me.

rioforce wrote:

I feel like they're going to write the show very heavy handed and on the nose with social politics and how she's just as good, but better, than every doctor before her and really emphasize the feminist aspect of the character instead of just showing us how it ought to be, they'll really drive the point into the audience's skulls (as I felt they did with most of the ending of Capaldi).

In terms of the politics, there have been a couple random political jabs out of nowhere that added nothing, but nothing overbearing overall. And if they're going to emphasize any feminist angle, it would be a few lines in the first episode and then drop it. I believe they're smarter than that.

Currently watching through the Capaldi era. I think he's pretty good. He doesn't have the silly vibe a lot of the other Doctors had, but is still good nevertheless. Don't really get the hate for Clara. She's quite a good companion all around. Looking forward to #13 and curious how the show's going to be with the first female Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

New Series 11 trailer! If nothing else, the cinematography is going to be amazing. Thoughts?

Not sure how I feel about the accent (don't mean any offence there), but I'm sure I'll get used to it after the first few episodes. It certainly has an interesting and unique tone to it, but it's not one that I love or hate. I don't really have an opinion yet for this new season.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Honestly, we liked the Doctor Who Classics better than the NewWho, probably. There were some good moments in the new series, and there were definitely some great, memorable episodes (Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, The Christmas Invasion, Amy's Choice, The God Complex, etc.) but for the most part, we like the show's simpler, original roots.

As for Jodie Whittaker, it's not that we're against a show with a female lead, but why didn't they just make a new show if that's what they wanted? it's just kind of annoying, as it feels like a cheap PC move that just cheapens a great show. The Doctor has been a dude since 1963, so why do they have to mess with that history? Were the countless female companions not enough? It's just a little irksome.

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

BrothersWaughStudios wrote:

The Doctor has been a dude since 1963, so why do they have to mess with that history?

It's been proven before that the rules of regeneration do not define a timelord to either gender. While it may be that a time lord's birth gender or will or something is able to influence the probability of which gender they regenerate into, as far as I'm aware we do not have confirmation for how exactly it works. But I'd say that after 13 male incarnations, he was going to regenerate into a woman eventually, so why not now?

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

BrothersWaughStudios wrote:

it's just kind of annoying, as it feels like a cheap PC move that just cheapens a great show. The Doctor has been a dude since 1963, so why do they have to mess with that history? Were the countless female companions not enough?

Because it's a show about a mad alien who flies through time and space in a magic phone box and the writers can do whatever the hell they want?

It's been firmly established that Time Lords can change their gender when they regenerate; in fact, we've seen it happen on the show before.  It's kind of disingenuous to lambaste this casting decision as a "cheap PC move" when it's been canonically shown that this is entirely plausible--likely, even--within the universe of the show.  There's no real "history" here.  This isn't a James Bond-type situation, where being a British man is an integral part of the character's identity.  The Doctor is a 900-something year old alien with a spaceship that looks like a box and defies all known laws of physics.  He may look superficially like a human, but is not even remotely close in terms of being one, either biologically (he has two hearts and is functionally immortal) or societially (fish sticks in custard?).  There's no logical reason why he should consistently choose to appear as a white dude with a British accent.  After 50 years, I think a bit of change is fair.  Girls love watching Doctor Who, too, after all, and the only thing that has remained consistent over the course of the show is the title and the premise of an eccentric alien with a phone box time machine.  Doctor Who has consistently adapted and changed over the years--any show that lasts as long as it does has to in order to survive.

Now, whether the show can give us a good female Doctor... that's another question entirely.  I have my doubts, given that the writing has been pretty... inconsistent... in terms of quality (and, to be be honest, I think I've always admired the DW more for its concept than actual execution), but that's no reason to write this change off before we've even seen what they've got planned for Jodie's Doctor.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (August 27, 2018 (07:21am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive