Topic: Lifeboat

Directory Link

Lifeboat

YouTube

This is an entry to the Movie Magic contest.

Behind the Scenes Pictures

Re: Lifeboat

This film was amazing good luck in the contest!

Wow!

Even beyond being a good film, the technical engineering alone is well worth a comment.
While the front two "wave" panels did seem a little too quick, I feel the speed and motion of the "waves" further back were spot-on. Nothing, however, can top the absolutely flawless "boat rocking" motion. On top of everything else, the pacing overall, and particularly for the last minute, was wonderful. Just enough pause to accentuate the humor and/or suspense, but also not too much for folks to loose interest or dull the edge of the gags.

I'm impressed. This is a great example of a classic "brickfilm." A simple and fun premise, given colorful and quirky visuals, and with a clever and clear punchline to neatly wrap it all up.

That was fantastic. It was probably technically flawless, and your animation is as smooth as butter. The cinematography and lighting were really well-made, and they stayed consistent throughout. The wave, eye, and shark animation were particularly amazing, and let a lot like Dylan Woodley's Pokeballin'. This is definitely probably a winner, as everything about it was great, and it incorporated the theme well. Good luck in the contest.

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

I can see this entry winning the contest. It is a very well crafted brickfilm and it embraced the theme of the contest properly. I really hope y'all win. Good luck. You guys never let me down with your awesome brickfilms. Pure magic. mini/bigsmile

Thanks everybody!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Nothing, however, can top the absolutely flawless "boat rocking" motion.

I'm glad you like that part, since it was probably the most tedious part of animating it (sometimes I'd move it a bit too far, sometimes it wouldn't move at all, you get the idea). The waves were actually a lot easier once I built the rig (I just had to turn a gear each frame), although sometimes they'd move a little erratically and I'd have to adjust them slightly.

Loved it just like all of your videos, The waves were so great!

My only criticism would be the about the background wall of grey bricks, I'm assuming it's supposed to represent a cloudy sky? In my opinion it looks kind of unappealing and just like a wall. I feel like it would work better if you put it further back and got it out of focus unless of course it's supposed to be some type of cliff or wall haha. Anyways great job!

I love this one. Hands down my favourite entry to Movie Magic. Easily some of the most impressive wave animation I've ever seen in brickfilm form. The guy trying to hit the shark tail reminded me of one of those old fashioned theme park shooting games - was that at all an inspiration? As that is the first thought that came to mind.

I love how you build the tension up, as the tail raises higher and higher above the water, growing bigger and bigger and the ending was also great. The brick built close-up face was also really well done. I am always impressed when people play around with different scales, and it worked seamlessly with the rest of the animation.

As is to be expected from TwickABrick, you continue to impress, with great camera work, incredible practical effects and taking a short, simple story, and using it to it's fullest possibilities. All the best of luck to you in the contest!

awesomeoptimus wrote:

I'm assuming it's supposed to represent a cloudy sky? In my opinion it looks kind of unappealing and just like a wall. I feel like it would work better if you put it further back and got it out of focus unless of course it's supposed to be some type of cliff or wall haha.

Yeah, ideally it'd be in focus less of the time, and especially in the first few shots so it doesn't immediately catch your attention. Good to keep in mind if I do this again!

William Osborne wrote:

The guy trying to hit the shark tail reminded me of one of those old fashioned theme park shooting games - was that at all an inspiration?

I actually didn't think of that while making it, but I can see how it's similar now, and that's cool - maybe gives it a little more interest for people who have played those games.

Again, thanks everybody for the feedback!

This is really good - superb wave motion with what I imagine to be a nicely engineered technic gear mechanism . Well done and good luck in the contest mini/smile

DNAnimation

First off, congratulations on getting first place! You made a really solid film, and to be honest there's not a lot I can say about it that hasn't already been said. The wave effect was a brilliant choice given the nature of the plot relying on concealment of what was in the water, and I'm really impressed with the rig you came up with to allow you to do it in-camera; I can imagine it would be tempting to do something like that as a CG effect but I appreciate that you did it for real and I think that care came through in the final film. The scale changes were well executed.

If I had to make one criticism of this film, it would be that I personally would have liked to see a little bit more plot-wise for a summer contest entry. That said, you chose to create a short, highly polished gag, and I can respect that. All things considered, this was a wonderful brickfilm and it definitely earned its ranking. Thanks for entering the contest!