Re: The best lenses for your DSLR

Frame5Studios wrote:

I use a 18-55 mm lens, and i use a canon rebel. I can still get pretty good close up shots! I was thinking about buying some macro filters. Might get some in a few weeks.

So your whole Guns of Cordis brickfilm is with the standard kit lens? If so, that's pretty cool. I've seen all the trailers and everything and it looks AMAZING, especially the lighting! You also use the T5i right? Because that's the one I use, so if you want a close up shot, how would you do it? I know you can use a magnifying glass, but that's all that I'm aware of. Any tips would be appreciated mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

First, Thank you!! mini/smile I Appreciate the kind words!

Yes Guns of Cordis is all shot with the kit lens! i'm just now thinking about branching out because i want to get more creative with my shots. I do, yes use a Canon T5i. As far as how i get my close up shots, I obviously zoom in the entire way. Then from there i'll set the focus so that I can get as close to the camera lens i can, then build the set around it. That can be tricky sometimes though, I do however have a 75-300mm lens that might do it better.

Only reason why I haven't used it is because the lens is so heavy, and when the shutter goes off it does move a bit. But it's in awhile since i tried animating with it! I can make some tests this weekend and upload them If that would help you! mini/smile

Dragon Brick Studios wrote:
Frame5Studios wrote:

I use a 18-55 mm lens, and i use a canon rebel. I can still get pretty good close up shots! I was thinking about buying some macro filters. Might get some in a few weeks.

So your whole Guns of Cordis brickfilm is with the standard kit lens? If so, that's pretty cool. I've seen all the trailers and everything and it looks AMAZING, especially the lighting! You also use the T5i right? Because that's the one I use, so if you want a close up shot, how would you do it? I know you can use a magnifying glass, but that's all that I'm aware of. Any tips would be appreciated mini/smile

Austin-Frame5 Studios https://i.imgur.com/6kA5imJ.png

If it's really not a bother for you then that would be great! mini/bigsmile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

yeah sure man! mini/smile

Hey i should have the test done today and ill upload it to my channel!

Frame5Studios wrote:

First, Thank you!! mini/smile I Appreciate the kind words!

Yes Guns of Cordis is all shot with the kit lens! i'm just now thinking about branching out because i want to get more creative with my shots. I do, yes use a Canon T5i. As far as how i get my close up shots, I obviously zoom in the entire way. Then from there i'll set the focus so that I can get as close to the camera lens i can, then build the set around it. That can be tricky sometimes though, I do however have a 75-300mm lens that might do it better.

I'm just gonna stop you right there.... the 75-300 is not going to work. The closest you can get with one of those lens is a couple of feet and it doesn't do much better than the 18-55 kit lens.

Here is important question - how to avoid focus breathing? I use Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 right now and it's awful if I try to change focus. Is there better lens that provides sharp photos as Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 does, but does not suffer from focus breathing?

All stills lenses have focus breathing, it's a total non-issue for still photography. A lack of focus breathing is one of the main reasons cinema lenses are so expensive. So unless you've got a spare $5000 (at least) laying around, you're going to deal with some. That being said, you should be able to find lenses that are less severe. Unfortunately, macro lenses, which are so useful for brickfilmers, tend to have extra bad focus breathing as a side effect of a short minimum focusing distance. So the chance of finding a lens with less focus breathing and a similar utility is slim.

My primary lens for brickfilming has pretty bad focus breathing. Personally I choose to just embrace it as another challenge to work around.

Last edited by backyardlegos (October 24, 2017 (10:33pm))

You could also try fixing focus breathing in post. Stabilizing it in a sense and then zooming in a bit to remove the borders.

YouTube | Vimeo

SLEEP IS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE - BrickLord

So...I would like to have a decent 50 mm lens in my arsenal. I do already have the Canon f/1.8 macro lens (which I quite like for 'normal' photography and video), but it just isn't practical for brickfilming, especially if I use it with extension tubes - the trick of partially unscrewing the lens to stop down doesn't really work because of the stupid focus by wire system mini/frustrated .

One option would be to go for the lens that Sloth mentioned in the first post, but I do have an old Minolta X-700 lying around, and it has the kit 50mm f/1.7 lens. Would it be worthwhile to pick up an adapter ($30-40 on amazon) and use this instead?

Also, on the topic of adapters, I've seen a few that have no glass, but are much cheaper. Will the adapter type make much of a difference?

Thanks!

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I seems like they still producing the Nikon Micro Nikkor 55mm /F3.5

Can you use any version of it for stop motion if you use it with a Canon?

Can you use the “Nikon Micro Nikkor P.C. Auto” version?

Would you look at that, they are. I believe literally any version of the lens will work. Don't buy a new one though, it's easy to find an old one in really good condition for 1/4 the price, or less.

Just bought a Nikon Micro Nikkor P.C. Auto from the 70’s or 80’s and it works perfect :-)

Can you use any lens (on a Canon-body) to stop motion from any brand as long as there is at aperture ring and a adaptor?

Why not use old Canon lenses with a aperture ring for on the Canon-body?

You totally can, I use one of these as my primary lens for animation. The Nikon's are popular, especially the 55mm, because they have a magic mix of low price, good image quality, and short minimum focusing distance. There aren't many other lenses with that magic combo, most lenses will give you two out of three. So unless you have a a bit more money to spend, the Nikon is the go-to choice.

My main reason for buying the lens that I did was some misinformation I received from a guy at a local camera shop who was under the impression that F mount lenses had problems focusing to infinity on Canon bodies, which is not the case. That being said I do love the Pentax lens, it has served me well for many years now.

Hey guys!
Great article, thank you!
Still have a couple of questions about Micro Nikkor 55mm /F3.5

1) there are many versions of it on ebay, such as P, PC,  with no letter, AI, non-AI... And not all sellers tell you what exactly it is (may not know).  SO, which one is better?  I noticed people here use PC version, is P any good?  And how you say if it's AI or non-AI?

2) Micro Nikkor 55mm /F2.8 AI-S - what about this one?  is it as good ans Micro Nikkor 55mm /F3.5?  Yes, it's more expensive, but still the one to consider or no?

Thanks! mini/smile

SlothPaladin wrote:

(...) vintage (...)

Hey mate,
I watched your YT video and read all posts here.

Thx for great info!

I am waiting for 55mm nikkor atm. which I ordered few days ago.

I got question tho, I am looking now for something more wide. Do you know any lens like 25, 28 or 30ish mm which can focus at around 8-10 cm and with manual aperture?

Every lens I found (and you was talking about here) got like 20-30cm minimum focus range which is a bit to far for what I need atm.

Cheers!

That is really close for most of those lenses, most macro lenses are around 50mm or longer, there are adaptors which you can get to make them focus closer, lens tube extension will not play well with anything under 30mm but you can get a set of close up filters which will allow your lenses to be used much closer to the camera, if you are picking up Nikon lenses the 52mm size will be the correct size for your lens, but be sure to check before you buy.

Ronda wrote:

1) there are many versions of it on ebay, such as P, PC,  with no letter, AI, non-AI... And not all sellers tell you what exactly it is (may not know).  SO, which one is better?  I noticed people here use PC version, is P any good?  And how you say if it's AI or non-AI?

You want AI or non-AI, the AI versions are better

Ronda wrote:

2) Micro Nikkor 55mm /F2.8 AI-S - what about this one?  is it as good ans Micro Nikkor 55mm /F3.5?  Yes, it's more expensive, but still the one to consider or no?

It will work fine, it just costs more and you don't really need f2.8 for stop motion, so I suggest the 3.5 as that is fine for micro, but if you need a faster lens for some reason that will work great.

I know this is a really old post, but  I was planning on buying the Nikkor 55mm lens and I was just wondering about the benefits of using that vs my 18-55mm Canon kit lens. I can get pretty close to the minifigs without losing focus, so I'm not sure if it's really worth buying.

Using a manual lens is the best way to remove aperture flicker from your image, using a Nikon lens on a canon body does this effectively, however, if you are happy with how close you can use the Lens Twist Method

SlothPaladin wrote:

You want AI or non-AI, the AI versions are better

Just because AI is newer than F / non-AI?

I have a D3500, and my (very confused) understanding is that either AI or F lenses should be fine.