Topic: I only have red, yellow, blue & white bricks. What should I buy?

I have been ignoring this problem ever since the beginning, until THAC 16 made me realize how much of an issue this is.

Bricklink seems daunting to me, so what bricks should I get to start out with, and how much of each? I know that I need brown, tan and grey for starters. Anything else I need? Let me know.

(I also have plenty base-plates; there's no need for anymore yet.)

Click the image to visit my main channel.
Bimbanner
Extra Channel

Re: I only have red, yellow, blue & white bricks. What should I buy?

It all depends on what you're trying to build. I've bought a lot on bricklink the past year or so. I tend to buy what I need for a particular brickfilm. Sometimes I build a set in LDD and get an idea of what pieces I absolutely need and which are "would be nice" but not as necessary. Then go for the bigger shops and try to get everything you need in one place, if possible.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

That's kind of like asking a painter what colors are best to get, isn't it?

Although you can build just about any set with any sort of color scheme (within reason) certain colors better match certain settings. White is good for hospitals, bathrooms, kitchens, etc. Blue is good for water, interiors, and the sky.

It's always nice to get a lot of neutral and earth tones (dark & light tan, brown, sand green, sand orange etc) but honestly, try and make what you can with what you have.

You don't want to get into the habit of buying something new for every film, and at the end of the day, everybody's lego collection is unique and different. Sure, we might all share some of the same sets, but we can all use them in a different and unique way - as we should.

As a general, though, I build walls around 7 - 8 (or more, if possible) high, and 20 or so bricks long. An 8 x 20 wall would mean 160 bricks. Having 160 2x4's per color is a nice starting goal. Then you can dive deeper into detailing, odd shaped rooms, exterior shots, and henceforth from there.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

It really depends on the style of your scenery. If your characters spend lots of time outside or in natural looking buildings, perhaps natural tones such as dark and light green, dark blue, white, as well as tan and brown.

I've been collecting LEGO since the age of five, so I'm fairly well equipped with different options. But if you only seem to have four colors, I would suggest just buying LEGO in bulk from wherever you can, such as eBay, garage sales, or craigslist, ignoring the color. That way, you have almost any color you may need.

If you're looking for a specific color or colors, I don't know what to tell you. Good luck!

I'd say start with a bunch of light blueish gray 2x4's.
160 is a good number.

Light gray walls can be used for just about anything. With trim/extra bits in different colors, they work well for many kinds of environments. While white is another good choice, it tends to get a bit too bright, overwhelming and "clean." With gray, you can use props and other colors to make the set seem clean or grungy, science-y or castle, new or old. Gray even works for caves and cliffs just as well as for castles and ships. Tan is another good choice, though I see it working better for castle and wild west than sci-fi, and tan feels "dirtier" to me, limiting it's use in "cleaner" environments.

With my films, I try to establish a color scheme of two or three colors that dominates the set. Sometimes, that was chosen by THAC/BRAWL colors, but when possible, I'd choose a neutral color (tan, white, dark gray or light gray.) and a "trim color" for extras. (Anything else lying around) Personally, I shy away from brighter, more saturated colors for my walls. Bright red or yellow walls tend to distract me, though others use them without issue.

As a long term goal, I'd recommend getting a lot of basic bricks in the "neutral" colors, as you'll use those over and over again. Then, collect a few bricks and plates in the other colors. If you notice in this film, the walls are all gray in the prison, then white outside of it, but thanks to a few different bricks and plates, there are several very distinctive wall types.

If you're going to do that, try to have enough "trim" bricks to do two lines down your wall. That way you can do two stripes or a nice bottom base depending on if they are bricks or plates.

And don't forget, you can get away with much fewer bricks if you only build just what the camera will actually see.

Dyland is right, don't feel that you need to buy more Lego for each film. While I've bought a lot of Lego over the years, most of my films were about learning how to use what I already had to it's full potential. It was also learning how to overstuff Lego pick-a-brick cups, but that may not be an option for you.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I'd say start with a bunch of light blueish gray 2x4's.
160 is a good number.

Light gray walls can be used for just about anything. With trim/extra bits in different colors, they work well for many kinds of environments. While white is another good choice, it tends to get a bit too bright, overwhelming and "clean." With gray, you can use props and other colors to make the set seem clean or grungy, science-y or castle, new or old. Gray even works for caves and cliffs just as well as for castles and ships. Tan is another good choice, though I see it working better for castle and wild west than sci-fi, and tan feels "dirtier" to me, limiting it's use in "cleaner" environments.

With my films, I try to establish a color scheme of two or three colors that dominates the set. Sometimes, that was chosen by THAC/BRAWL colors, but when possible, I'd choose a neutral color (tan, white, dark gray or light gray.) and a "trim color" for extras. (Anything else lying around) Personally, I shy away from brighter, more saturated colors for my walls. Bright red or yellow walls tend to distract me, though others use them without issue.

As a long term goal, I'd recommend getting a lot of basic bricks in the "neutral" colors, as you'll use those over and over again. Then, collect a few bricks and plates in the other colors. If you notice in this film, the walls are all gray in the prison, then white outside of it, but thanks to a few different bricks and plates, there are several very distinctive wall types.

If you're going to do that, try to have enough "trim" bricks to do two lines down your wall. That way you can do two stripes or a nice bottom base depending on if they are bricks or plates.

In addition to this (all very strong points I might add), you might want to scope out bricks for the type of film you're making. If your making a 1980's-style futuristic film you might want to invest in some hot pink and/or neon blue bricks, a steampunk film would require some dingy grey and brown bricks, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf