Re: Boats Animator - free, open-source stop motion program

Thanks for the kind feedback guys! mini/bigsmile @Dyland I can confirm that aspect ratio masks are on the feature roadmap mini/smile

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Sweet! In the meantime:
https://i.imgur.com/d9AncsS.gif

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

If I didn't have Dragonframe, I'd totally use this. But since I do I can't, but I endorse it fully!

One thing to note to all the new users is that you can only undo the last frame. Deleting frames in the folder mess up the timeline and also starting a new project in the same folder as another will mess up the old frames, so just keep an eye out for that. I see there's some stuff for future implementation that will correct this, but as with any in-development program, there are just some things to work around.

Great work, Boats. This is just in time for THAC.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

This is just in time for THAC.

The best part of this update. mini/wink

Tested this out, and it seems to be working pretty well. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this! How hard would it be to make an appimage for linux?

Last edited by thistof (December 23, 2018 (01:57am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

thistof wrote:

How hard would it be to make an appimage for linux?

I haven't used App Images before, but I assume it's reasonably straightforward. There will eventually be deb/rpm packages for Linux and dmg for Mac. When those are worked on I shall look into appimage too mini/smile

Boats Animator

Does it support dslr?

Jevy wrote:

Does it support dslr?

Sorry, only webcams are supported at the moment.

Boats Animator

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

There will eventually be deb/rpm packages for Linux...

Yeah that would be great!

I just tried this, and it's a really good program. I really enjoy it, but is there a way to change the camera settings in the program?

Tiny World Studios wrote:

I just tried this, and it's a really good program. I really enjoy it, but is there a way to change the camera settings in the program?

Sorry not at the moment. You'll need to download the relevant software made by your camera's manufacturer in order to do that.

We will be looking into improved camera integration for boats in the future

Boats Animator

Boats Animator 0.8.1

Boats Animator 0.8.1 is now available! mini/smile This version provides a few minor fixes to playback and resolution selection.

Downloads

Other downloads and release information

Boats Animator

Looking very good. I've used this for THAC and it worked without a hitch. One issue I did have was that at one point I forgot to switch to a new folder, and accidentally overwrote (overwrited?) images I had previously taken for an earlier session. Part of that is because you can't easily start a new project (which in my case is a new shot/take) without rebooting the program. After starting up the software again, the software doesn't load the captured frames into the project or check whether it's overwriting an already captured frame.

I understand that the software is under development, but Still, it might be good to implement some sort of overwrite protection, maybe like a confirmation popup like "are you sure you want to overwrite this previously taken image?"

I really like that I'm able to actually choose the maximum resolution my webcam supports (1600x1200). Other software I've tried could only do 1600x900 or higher resolutions that my webcam doesn't even support. That alone makes it worthwhile for me.

EDIT: To clarify, this feedback is based on 0.8.0, not the latest release.

It's exciting to hear people using this program! Glad it's working out for you. mini/smile

The overwrite issue is something I have been aware of for a while. We are looking to implement a proper projects feature as one of the next major features which would solve this.

As a temporary method until then, I agree a confirm pop up would be best. I actually started work on this a few weeks ago. Depending on the progress of projects update, I'll either finishing implementing the overwrite warning or work to get the projects update released in the near future.

Boats Animator

This is so exciting to see this progressing along! Great work and congrats!

Hey all, a couple of minor notices regarding Boats Animator.

Notice for Ubuntu 18.04 users

I have received reports of issues launching the program on Ubuntu 18.04. This is due to a missing dependency, please run:

sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4

in a terminal window and the program should launch.

Overwrite warning

The next update to Boats Animator will add a warning dialogue if a folder has been used for capture before. This should mitigate against the potential overwrite issue mentioned by BertL. I don't have an exact eta, but it may be released in the next couple of weeks.

Boats Animator

Awesome, great to hear! Don't rush the next update, it's better to make something good than to release something fast. mini/smile

Boats Animator 0.8.2

Boats Animator 0.8.2 is now available! mini/smile This minor update adds a warning message if the current save directory already has frames in it. This is to ensure users do not accidentally overwrite frames.

A future update will add a projects feature that should reduce the need for this warning to be displayed.

Downloads

Other downloads and release information

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (February 22, 2019 (05:57am))

Boats Animator

Sweet! Will download shortly.

Boats Animator needs your help!

I am looking for photos of your studio setup with Boats Animator and screenshots of the program during production, so I can use it in places such as the Boats Animator website.

I am also interested on getting your feedback on using the program. If you have got 2 minutes to spare, please consider giving your thoughts and uploading a few images to the 2019 Boats Animator User Survey via the link below.

Thank you! mini/smile

https://share.hsforms.com/13VBgYRCzSWSlDUkcZNgfig3bljf

Boats Animator