Topic: Is sampling sounds from movie/games frown upon?

Newbie here, recently got into brick films and been thinking of doing a few films based on movie/game scenes, sort of a funny parody type. I am just wondering if it is frowned upon or outright legal to sample sounds from movie/games?

Re: Is sampling sounds from movie/games frown upon?

Welcome to the forums, Stopper! mini/mrgreen

Generally, films based on movie/game franchises are welcomed by the creators. There are a lot of brickfilmers out there who focus on IP films, IP meaning "intellectual property", referring to other franchises that are tied with LEGO. Think of Marvel/superhero brickfilms, or Harry Potter, or Star Wars. Parodies are quite popular both amongst brickfilmers and viewers, and won't get you in (legal) trouble.

Opinions on this are slightly divided in the community over here. Some people feel it's easy to do these sorts of films because you don't have to create original characters or storylines to make your film. Most people think it's fine, though.

Regarding legal troubles: try to stay away from copyrighted music from films or video games. Especially on YouTube, companies are actively on the lookout for this. The worst case scenario is that your video might get taken down. If you're planning to use sound effects or voice lines, you don't really have to worry. (Unless you're using extended and unedited audio clips of whole scenes.)

heck I borrow Minecraft sound effects from time to time

Cool thanks guys, I am planning to do a Wolfenstein brick film based on several older titles, thinking of using a few voice lines from return to Castel Wolfenstein, the cheesy sound effects from the old Wolfenstein 3D. Started working on it but took 3 hours just to do the first 20 sec... Gonna be a long fun project. The action part will be based on the old 2D or the first cheesy 3D mini/smile

Also rekon would be fun to do a Lego remake of Linkin Park's from the inside, and maybe do up a whole ACDC dirty deeds done dirt cheap (there is no music video of this song) but then gonna have to use the whole song.... So I will give it a skip for now

Stopper wrote:

Cool thanks guys, I am planning to do a Wolfenstein brick film based on several older titles, thinking of using a few voice lines from return to Castel Wolfenstein, the cheesy sound effects from the old Wolfenstein 3D. Started working on it but took 3 hours just to do the first 20 sec... Gonna be a long fun project. The action part will be based on the old 2D or the first cheesy 3D mini/smile

Love it! Wolfenstein 3D is one of the first games I've ever playedAnimation can be a real grind, but that's what makes it fun! (For us crazy people, that is.) I hope you'll be using the AIIEEE sound when you shoot the guard. mini/wink

Also rekon would be fun to do a Lego remake of Linkin Park's from the inside, and maybe do up a whole ACDC dirty deeds done dirt cheap (there is no music video of this song) but then gonna have to use the whole song.... So I will give it a skip for now

ACDC is notorious for taking down videos on YouTube. I used the first 30 seconds of Back in Black for one of my fight tests, and it got taken down a couple of months ago. mini/sad

Hehehe I am already getting technical difficulties..... Camera too large to get thru wolfenstein type doorways and corridors.  And ceilings too low for proper lighting...  But I hope to improve as I try...  Thanks for the heads up re ACDC... I read somewhere that some artists (or their agents) are more sticky than other... Would like to do Korn, rage against the machine (with the matrix scences), evanescence (some dare devil sender) and SOAD.... I felt old mentioning them.... mini/sunnies

Edit: lighting is veeeerrrry hard, and I had to dismantle the walls as the camera walks thru the door, so I need to find a small enough webcam that also sits low enough.... It's pretty messy but that's what I am trying to do.... https://youtu.be/wdVmIsCQE-s

Last edited by Stopper (March 9, 2019 (07:55am))

Welcome to BiM! What camera are you using? Logitech Webcams are pretty small (not to mention cheap and hi-quality), so there's generally ways to work around small spaces.

In regards to the clip you linked, I think you should consider upping your frame rate to 12-15 frames per second. Your animation will look a lot smoother that way. What software are you using to capture frames? Having a live view will help to keep your animations consistent.

I honestly don't think you'll have much of a problem with copyright as long as you do not monetize. I actually did a LEGO remake of SOAD's B.Y.O.B. recently. The vid got claimed, but I didn't get in any trouble or anything. I think you should be fine as long as you don't attempt to make money off of it haha mini/wink

Enjoy your stay; looking forward to seeing what you make! mini/smile

Shawarma Studios wrote:

Welcome to BiM! What camera are you using? Logitech Webcams are pretty small (not to mention cheap and hi-quality), so there's generally ways to work around small spaces.

In regards to the clip you linked, I think you should consider upping your frame rate to 12-15 frames per second. Your animation will look a lot smoother that way. What software are you using to capture frames? Having a live view will help to keep your animations consistent.

I honestly don't think you'll have much of a problem with copyright as long as you do not monetize. I actually did a LEGO remake of SOAD's B.Y.O.B. recently. The vid got claimed, but I didn't get in any trouble or anything. I think you should be fine as long as you don't attempt to make money off of it haha mini/wink

Enjoy your stay; looking forward to seeing what you make! mini/smile

I don't really have  camera, just used the cheap unbranded webcam I got for free when I got my phone, my phone's camera actually takes better picture but just too big. I m currently using Clayframe pro to capture and editing is done on my PC with paid version of Antimotica. Must be a better way to set up, but I try to keep it cheap for a while.

The biggest problem with Clayframe is that I have very little control over focus and no zoom. I think I should get a web cam with optical zoom so that I can focus on one thing and burr out the rest if at high magnification if I choose to. The other problem is that I can't focus on both weapon in hand and enemy at the same time.... I know it is not possible to focus at two distances at the same time but if I can get the light strong enough and use a small aperture (talking like my B&W photography days) I should get away to some extend, maybe back off the camera a bit so the weapon in hand is less out of focus when focusing at further distances.

Yeah about the frme rate.... I was lazy mini/tongue

BTW I like your SOAD vid... was going to do it with a dozen ww2 German brick soldiers as the policemen (faces turned so it just blank yellow)... I will put that on back burner for now.