Topic: Lighting technique for "confined" space (think Wolfenstein 3D)

Newbie here, I am trying to do brick films first person in first person shooter style in one of the senses. Now I would need a ceiling for the set. The only think I can think of is using a opaque plastic lid and stick a few plastic bags on top as a defuser. I thought of using clear base plate but they are expensive and hard to get on and off between stop motions. Any other suggestions that is easy and affordable?

Re: Lighting technique for "confined" space (think Wolfenstein 3D)

Ok, I tried to upload my light defuser/roof set up but can't seem to upload the pic.... here is it (right at the end of the test video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-oZNv … e=youtu.be

Edit: additional info, gave the set up a proper try today, light defuser OK but the whole ceiling is too white, and looks more like a white background

Last edited by Stopper (March 9, 2019 (03:14am))

You might try a brick built ceiling with holes in it to let the light in. Maybe rectangles for fluorescent lights or some other size/shape to reflect the settings you need.
If that many bricks is out of the question maybe you could tape out sections of the plastic lid you’re using to achieve a similar effect. Something thick like duct tape would only require one layer to block light but masking tape might allow you to play with the light and really focus it in one area while blending into others.

Have fun.
Jared

I've seen two different techniques used for tight hallways. Recently, the Janitor shot without the ceiling and then added it in post.

The other way is building the hallway with either a removable celling or wall. Each frame, you would remove the section, move the minifigures, then replace the section. ( See here.)

Hope that helps!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I've seen two different techniques used for tight hallways. Recently, the Janitor shot without the ceiling and then added it in post.

The other way is building the hallway with either a removable celling or wall. Each frame, you would remove the section, move the minifigures, then replace the section. ( See here.)

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys, you gave me an idea, clear base plate with bricks over selected area for shadows.... and just fix on with two studs..... wasn't going to by a clear plate but looks like it is easiest...