Topic: Brickfilms and beyond!

Hello!

My name is Jay Silver. I haven't been active in the community for a long while (though I like popping in to see what's happening from time-to-time) but I've been around almost from the beginning: the early days of Brickfilms.com, pre-YouTube, etc. It's been nice to see the enthusiasm for brickfilming continue for all this time as filmmakers come and go and to see a few progress into the field as professionals. That's what happened for me too!

In my case, I wasn't already in filmmaking and decided to try my hand at brickfilming, it was wanting to animate LEGO that helped me develop the skills to become a filmmaker and take on audio-visual entertainment as a career. In fact it was a brickfilm (The Gauntlet) that served as my audition for my first job.

That was over 16 years ago. Since then I've worked on over 15 projects of different kinds - stop-motion, 2D, 3D, live action - and worked my way up the ladder. Today, I'm a series director and recently finished a show that premieres worldwide on Netflix in just over a week from now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udwg-PbAEdc&fbclid

All this to say that even though I'm not around a lot, I do have a great respect for this community and hobby. (Kudos to those who continue to support the community and keep brickfilming alive!) I wanted to let you know that it can be a lot of fun but it can also be a doorway to bigger things if that's where you'd like to go. Not everyone's path is the same but if you're like me and are willing to work on your weaknesses then I'm certain you'll be amazed where you could end up.

Big thanks to everyone who supported me in those early days. Keeping snapping those frames!

-j

Re: Brickfilms and beyond!

Great to hear from you, Jay! It's nice to know you are doing so well in animation; that is an exciting project. I'm glad to know you are still invested in this community. You should pop in to the Discord chat.

Awesome to hear, Jay! Have always loved your films and have appreciated you sticking with the community for all these years - even if in an on and off basis. I've appreciated the voices you've done for some of my (still unfinished) films, and hope to release them soon.

This seems like a great opportunity! I'm glad to see you doing something in the animation field, and will probably check out the show, if for no other reason, than to watch with some of my young cousins. They already enjoy your brickfilm work, and I'm sure they'd be happy to know you were a part of this new series as well!

If you're not too restricted by a NDA, I'd love to hear some stories of what production's like - a window into what it's like to work on something of this scale in comparison to animating in the basement. mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Hey, Jay! It's great to see you on the forums again. No doubt you've been lurking around a bit between your last post and now, though. mini/wink

Congratulations on getting to make a Netflix series, dude! I remember way back in the day when you released Rapunzel. Early on you were revered on the forums for The Gauntlet and Rise of the Empire. Looking back at it, you were one of the early pioneers (on the forums, at least) to integrate digital effects with brickfilm animation. Rapunzel was a huge influence on me when it came out, and I still think it has aged very well. (The mouth animation was so inspiring to me that I had to make a parody, which hasn't quite stood the test of time...)

Now it's been more than 15 years since those days, and you're directing a series for Netflix! You've had quite a ride since those early days of making little LEGO animations just as a hobby, spurred from an interest in filmmaking. It's really cool to see how far it's gotten you. mini/mrgreen