Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Dude, I know that movie is so good.

Yeah, I know, that sucks. I'd already had some of the movie spoiled before watching, but it is still fun even if you know what's coming next, and I think it'd be worth it. Roddy Piper delivers a surprisingly solid performance for being a wrestler first, and actor second.

Yeah, John Carpenter is great. He' made some movies that I can't ever see myself watching, either because I'm not interested or because of questionable content that I don't think is worth getting through, but I am going to watch Halloween, The Thing, and Escape From New York.

"Keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn...call the president."

Last edited by BrothersWaughStudios (October 26, 2018 (03:34am))

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

Dyland wrote:

I absolutely LOVE Big Trouble in Little China. We had just shown it to my Grandmother a few weeks ago - and she really enjoyed it as well. Quirky, action packed, and very, very funny. Great film! mini/smile

Oh, I have to see it, still laying on my desk!

Anyway, last movie I saw was Captain Fantastic, and it really is fantastic!
About a day before I also watched Ed Wood, also a great movie that I'm mentioning cause it's a nice story about filmmaking and the problems of doing it, so I think a lot of you could like it.

Oh, cool. Just had that movie recommended to me yesterday, actually.

Last movie I watched was The Presidio (1988) with Sean Connery and Mark Harmon. I thought it was good. I also tried to watch the new Jackie Chan movie Bleeding Steel (2017) , and couldn't even finish it it was so bad.

Here are my reviews of both movies on IMDb.

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4476945/?ref_=ur_urv (The Presidio)

https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4477812/?ref_=ur_urv (Bleeding Steel)

For all your BrothersWaughStudios needs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoIGzi … pAKtshbTbQ

Speaking of John Carpenter films I saw Escape from New York at the cinema recently for the 4K restoration release and that was definitely a fun experience. I hadn't seen it before but I've always enjoyed John Carpenters films and this was no exception, especially with the Kurt Russell as the lead.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

For those who have yet to see it, if you can wait for this long then it might be worth waiting until the next installment (for those who don't know there will be a total of 5 Fantastic Beasts movies) to watch this film, as it's essentially setting us up for the next film (I know some people felt that was what the first one was, but I'd argue that the first was more of an introduction to the world and the state it's in than a proper set up). So yes, on its own this film doesn't hold up too well, but I think once all of the movies have been released, it will be a far more significant and worthy part to the story, as there is a lot of information thrown at you in this film (particularly in the last 15 minutes or so). Another issue was that there were a few issues with breaking the lore, for example the age and time periods of a certain character

Spoiler (click to read)

(McGonagall)

Also, in my opinion, there were too many sub plots happening at the same time. However, despite all of this the film does have its merits. I felt that there was a lot of good character development for most if not all of the main characters (and for those invested in those characters, this is a must watch as there was A LOT of development), and I felt that there was a good balance of both answering a lot of the questions left over from the first film (and even from the franchise as a whole) while also asking a few more questions to be explained in later films. There are also several other awesome moments (including the feature of fan favourites) that I'll leave for you to experience first hand should you choose to see it, and as always the quality of production is fantastic (pun intended mini/tongue ) as always. So while it's not a film that you need to see immediately, I'd definitely recommend anyone who's interested in this series to see at some point, which you may want to do before spoilers start to be referred to all the time (unless that doesn't bother you off course!)

Spoiler (click to read)

And for those wondering, it has been confirmed that how Credence is related to Dumbledore will be explained further down the line.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
It's a fantastic movie! Seriously, if you haven't already, just go see it.

There is so much this movie does right. While it boasts a fairly large cast of characters, the focus never leaves Miles and beautifully gives us his journey in this giant world. Also, with all the live action Spider-man movies looking solely at Peter, it's nice to get a breath of fresh air in seeing all these different Spider-People. Watching an older, more experienced and confident Spider-man swinging around being heroic was a delight, and even the broken Peter B. Parker still felt like he had the optimism and heroic spirit that we know and love. (That's how you do a broken and discouraged, yet still heroic character! Take notes Star Wars!) Also, this version of Aunt May was awesome.

The texturing and feel seriously looked, felt, and very nearly smelled like a comic book come to life. As a fan of both animation and comic books, that blew me away. I'm not a big fan of most of the music, but that's a personal bias. It fit the characters and situations well; it's just not my thing.

Looks like Sony actually can make a really good Spider-Man film without Marvel looking over their shoulder. Let's just hope they learn some lessons from this and apply those in their live action films. (Note: I haven't seen Homecoming, but Sony's record before that was spotty.)

Yes, Spiderverse was amazing. I was afraid might be overhyped because I didn't see it until this past weekend, but it wasn't. Go see it before it is.

Last night I caught Bird Box, which was a lot like that M Night Shyamalan movie with Mark Wahlberg. Worth a watch if you like that sort of thing. Very pertinent to today's world, where so many have gone completely insane, making me wonder what the hell is in the water. Probably flouride. Buy Tom's of Maine.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Really hope it takes home to oscar tomorrow
https://funmismoviereviews.blogspot.com … verse.html

Alita: Battle Angel
6.5/10 Review coming soon

IT

Shahriar wrote:

IT

There are two

Avengers: Infinity War
I suspended my disbelief through the whole film for an extremely disappointing ending.  Thanos' semicidal plan is based on a flimsy premise anyway, but considering how hyped this was and the length of time I waited, to me it wasn't worth it.

Gosnell
The story of America's most prolific serial killer is not gory, but disturbing at parts, for a powerful emotional effect.  It's mostly a discovery, forensics, trial movie.  Here, I'll elaborate on only one scene:  As the plantiff attorneys are headed to trial, their supervisor admonishes them that this is a high profile serial killer case, and also a hot-button topic, since Gosnell also ran an abortuary, so the press will swarm them and relentlessly ask questions and it will be so full that you couldn't even make your way tot he rest room (or us it).  they were told to say "we don't discuss ongoing trials" and avoid any other contact as you pass through them  When they arrived at the courthouse, the steps and the press benches were empty.

The story of the making of this movie itself parallels the movie, where everyone at every level up to the governor turned a blind eye to Gosnell's crimes.  The movie was crowdfunded but Director Nick Searcy was singled out and censored from KS because of "disturbing content", with no specifics.  It's not even a political film.  The director went to IndieGoGo and the attention the censorship made brought in record funding.  It was downplayed in Hollywood; even NPR would rather defend Gosnell from attention than allow an ad to be run.  despite its powerful exposition, it would never be nominated for an Oscar, let alone win: the story of the movie itself is a strange reflection of the story within the movie!  Maybe you didn't hear of this film, but it's worth watching; it's an example of how good cinema evokes an emotional response.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I meant the third (!) one:
IMDB Link

Avengers: Endgame

If you want spoilers, check the discord chat. For now, I'll sum it up in a single word:

Satisfying.

Avengers: Endgame
A very good wrap up, with some well hitting bits that make you feel emotional. Not a single scene I didn't like, though sometimes small bits of scenes irked me slightly but never enough to ruin the entire scene.

Spoiler (click to read)

The main slight irk I had was Captain Marvel (regularly coming off as 'I'm better than you' when talking to people and being either overpowered enough to remove tension or being arbitrarily out of the movie to help on unseen worlds to prevent her from solving most things with her excessive power. Though she wasn't in a whole lot and as I said things that irked me never overpowered the good of the rest of the scene (the not flinching from the axe "Like this one" bit in one main scene and the female hero charge in her other main scene both were good enough to overcome the annoyance). Beyond that the only complaint (though very minor) I had was some of the time travel section felt like a clip show episode of a TV show (a good clip show though).

Batman (1989)

Earlier this year, I'd said that there wasn't a single movie that enticed me enough to go to the theater to see. And while that's true of new movies, I hadn't considered anniversary/special showings of classic films. Fathom Events' celebration of 80 years of Batman brought the Burton/Schumacher anthology into cinemas again - in stunning 4k! And let me say, for someone who thinks that 4k is generally a waste, I was impressed. Almost like watching the movie for the first time. The HDR really benefited the dark, gothinc imagery. Shadows were black without being overblown, and colors were vibrant and majestic. And the audio tracks were updated with added sound effects and much better mastered music that added to the atmosphere.

Michael Keaton is a great batman, and 89 is a fantistic film. I've always been more partial to these films than most other interpretations of the character, but watching them again, I have to say Batman 89 might just be my favorite superhero film period. Certainly better than The Dark Knight.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see Batman Returns in theaters, but rewatched the Blu-Ray at home. I'll admit, it's a little too dark and quirky. Definitely glad the series didn't continue in "this direction." Although, the carnival's attack and immediately following Bat-signal scene made me tear up. It's like there's a perfect Batman movie hiding in the worst Batman movie... Really wish this one would have turned out a bit differently. But, it's still good as it is. And, it was the first Batman film I ever saw.

Batman Forever

Growing up, Val Kilmer was always my favorite Batman. Seeing the film again, I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy his performance again! Two-Face has got to be one of, if not my favorite Batman villains - and Tommy Lee Jones plays him brilliantly - Psychopathic, yet kooky enough to not scare children - the target audience of superheroes. Nichole Kidman was excellent as Dr. Chase, and Jim Carry was fine as the riddler. The improbable greek-inspired architecture that Joel Schumacher presents in his interpretation is preferred by myself - so nice to notice so many things I've missed for years by watching on the big screen! And the soundtrack is fantastic. I think I just might prefer Goldenthal's take on the caped crusader over Elfman's. Sacrilege, I know.

Batman & Robin

This film is so much better on the big screen! George Clooney's bobbing cowl, Alicia Silverstone's odd lip movements, Arnold's unrelenting puns, and Uma Thurman's over-the-top exaggerated femme fatale inspired hammy acting is so ever so enjoyable. If you can't sit, laugh, and have fun with this film, then you're taking movies way too seriously.

And the dramatic cues (although few and far between) are excellently done and really pack a punch.

Spoiler (click to read)

Bruce's reminitions about Alfred in the face of his father figure's illness is a powerfully dramatic scene often overlooked by the naysayers. That moment alone is darker than most batmen ever get. Not even Nolan accomplished quite this level of drama in his excellent trilogy.

And Barbara's late night rides, and !@#$'s eventual discovery of her antics, are well done too. Nice having a little side plot resolved by Robin alone. Adds to his character.

And, as the shortest of the quadrilogy, it never seems to drag. I loved seeing Batman & Robin perhaps the most, although I'll admit that Batman 89 or Forever are probably the best of the series. But this fourth film is so fun and entertaining. If they made comic book movies more like this, my butt would be in a theater seat just about every week!

Can't wait for the 4k releases. The HDR, updated soundtracks, and overall better image quality are enough to get me to buy them. And I don't own any 4k releases... But these will certainly be worth it!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Taking a little trip back to the 80s here,

The Turman Show

I'm not quite sure how or why I haven't seen this film before, but wow, that was really good. The world it created both fascinated me and drew me in, the characters were very well drawn out, and it hit my emotions dead on. Highly recommend.
Defiantly one of my new faves.

YummyBurritoProductions wrote:

The Turman Show

Sigh.... I miss the days when people heard my name and said "Oh, like from The Truman Show!?" instead of "Oh, like from Frozen!?"

YummyBurritoProductions wrote:

The Turman [sic] Show

I'm not quite sure how or why I haven't seen this film before, but wow, that was really good. The world it created both fascinated me and drew me in, the characters were very well drawn out, and it hit my emotions dead on. Highly recommend.
Defiantly one of my new faves.

My song, "Last Dance" contains samples from The Truman Show.

anyway, onto my most recent viewing:

Chuck Norris vs Communism

Actually, this is a documentary that runs just under one hour, but I don't watch movies too often these days so it's as good as it gets.

I saw this last week and this is mostly a summation of my thoughts I expressed earlier this week on the primary brickfilming Discord group:

I grew up in the 1980s and love nostalgia from that era, but one thing I have no love, and I think is universally hated, are VHS tapes.  But not after watching this film.  People don't appreciate something as simple as a VHS tape.  This movie will permanently change your way of looking at one.  A VHS tape represents hope.  It can change a society.  It can be a weapon, and an inspiration, all at once.  Both touching and filled with intrigue, this real-life history lesson shows how VHS tapes, and a courageous voice actress, can upset an unnatural order.  It's touching (i said that already but I was touched), emotional, and fascinating at once, and wraps your headspace into a totally different world.  Chuck Norris himself only became aware of this 5-year old film a few weeks ago.  It's on YT so watch it when you get the chance.

Highly recommended: 10/10

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (May 30, 2019 (03:58pm))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I feel stress yesterday and so I did watch some scary Japanese and Korean movies, One Missed Call and The Wishing Stairs. I really love the twist or logic of Asian horror films.

Cool! The last movie I saw was the 6th Harry Potter film, it was fine but not the best in the series mini/tongue . And then for Halloween, I watched The Conjuring (2013) and Annebelle (2014) they both were extremely well made.

With God All Things Are Possible ~Matthew 19:26

I begrudgingly watched HP6 (my roomate left a DVD lying around) after they butchered OOTP. I ended up shutting it off halfway through and never watched any more in the series after that. The first four films are great, but the books are truly where it's at.

The last film I watched was "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" which was STUPID good: an intelligent, brilliant film, at least for the first 2/3rds of the runtime. The last act devolved into typical simple suspense and imho dragged a bit.

The animation (outsourced to British animator Richard Williams and Co) went above and beyond, and I couldn't help thinking it egged the Disney animators on to step it up, thus ushering in the 2nd golden age of animation in the late '80s and early '90s.