Topic: 1978 Brickfilm... what to do with it?

I have a stop-motion Lego film I created back in 1978 and my kids are on me to find out what to do with it after our recent visit to Legoland. It's based off set #585 "Police Headquarters" and I shot it overnight when I was 14 using my parents 8mm camera. The opening scene (minifig cop run over by car) and final closeup are woefully out of focus due to the viewer and lens not being one and the same. The overly dramatic chase scene turned out pretty good though.

I've had it transferred to video but am unsure what to do next... do I post to one of the forums asking for guidance on how to "improve" it or should it just be left as is?

- Robert Becker

Re: 1978 Brickfilm... what to do with it?

There are definitely a few people, if not everyone, around here that would be interested in the film, so I recommend releasing an untouched version first. Of course if you do want to change or improve the many of the folks around here would be more than happy to lend help and offer advice!

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Thank you very much for posting this here. I would be very interested in seeing the film, as I keep track of all the pre-2000 brickfilms I can find in a big list here. I would be particularly interested in seeing it in an unaltered state. Don't worry if it is out of focus or anything; it's all part of the history of how it had to be done.

Thanks for the replies. From what I can tell we just post to YouTube and then provide a link in one of the forums on here. Is that correct?

Robert Becker

Yep!
Look at the top of the site and click "films " Then, on the top left will be an option for "submit film." Follow the prompts and be sure to submit it to both the directory and the forums.

I can't wait to see it!

Feel free to just post the link in this thread, if you wish.

Thanks for you help. I hope I've done it correctly as I uploaded as...
username:  bossofdos64
title:  A Day in the Life of a Copy - 1978 Brickfilm
uploaded to YouTube:  https://youtu.be/ObaKO6bfdfo

Thanks for sharing!

Well nice to know it isn't up for the Rotten Tomatoes awards!  mini/smile

Any suggestions for how to improve it or just let it be?  I don't believe there is any way to re-focus (despite CSI-type shows) but could you get the gist of what was happening?  Should I add subtitles to the actual titles so they can be read?

I can just about make out everything that is written. You could look into the Closed Captions system on YouTube, which would allow subtitles to be toggled on and off on the upload.