Topic: What is the best Editing/Animation software under $150?

Does anybody know what the best software is under $150? thanks!:cool:

Re: What is the best Editing/Animation software under $150?

You might want to check out The Free Software List. There are some good programs listed on there available for download.

For a reasonable price and if you're on a Mac, there is iStopmotion. Another option is Stop Motion Studio which is available for both Windows and Mac.

Yep, check out the Free Software List above for some great suggestions.

However, before we can make more specific suggestions, we need to know a bit more. Are you using a webcam or a DSLR? Webcams can take advantage of free capture software like Boats Animator, while DSLRs cannot.

As for editing, if you are using Windows, Vegas Movie Studio is a great choice. I've used an older version and it was perfect for my needs. But if you are using Mac, I don't know.

Under $150 is a tricky number. Not many good ones for money under that number, but there’s a list of pretty good free programs. If your willing to go a little over, I use stopmotion pro for $185 and it’s been excellent. Simple yet powerful interface.

Thanks everyone. I would for now be using a webcam, but I can get a DSLR hopefully later. I can get software for either Windows or Mac, but windows is preferred. also, if possible, i'd like the editing software to be ably to add muzzle flashes, etc., and do rig removal. thanks again!

Also, i'm mainly looking for editing software, as Audacity Productions already has Boats Animator.

If you're looking for an editing program you might want to look into Hitfilm or DaVinci Resolve. Both have free versions that can do all the important tasks like editing, keying, rig removal, adding effects, color correction, etc...

Thanks Ice Fox. In response to Pritchard Studios, how much does Sony Vegas cost? Also has anyone here used GIMP? How is that? Thanks everyone! mini/sunnies

GIMP is basically a free Photoshop. You can do some effects work/rig removal in it, but going frame by frame is frankly tedious and time consuming. It's a fantastic tool to have, but it can't replace a good editing program; they serve different needs.

I put a link to Vegas in my above post if you want to click that. The most basic version is $45 right now from the company. (Amazon may be cheaper) While it is a wonderful editor, the cheaper versions can't do rig removal so you'll need to pair it with GIMP to get everything you need.

Keep an eye out for Vegas on Humble Bundle. The last couple times the new versions of the software have come out, they've given the previous version away for $20. No saying if they'll do it again, but worth watching out for. I can't say enough great things about Vegas, I've used it since the early 2000s (back when it was a Sonic Foundry product!) and aside from being great at editing and a good entry level compositor, it's an amazing audio DAW as well, since audio engineering was Sonic Foundry's forte.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thanks everyone. Can you put things like muzzle flashes/gunfire with Sony Vegas? If not, that's cool, just a side effect i was interested in. mini/sunnies

Yeah, really easy with compositing modes like screen, multiply, etc. I actually did muzzle flashes for a couple short films by a guy called Adam Woodworth, Bourbon and Untied were the names of the films. Hitfilm Express is also a free software but one I haven't spent much time on, I think it's pretty decent, but I don't really know my way around it.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png