Topic: Constructing sound

Any tips for constructing sound for brickfilm?

Should every effort be made in order to create a realistic soundscape? Surely there should be ambient noise - nobody wants to listen to silence. But to what extent?

In a live action film, you'd add even the smallest details to the sound, such as the rustling of clothes as people move. Should this be done in brickfilm? Seems a bit odd, as minifigs don't have clothes (although I guess we should be imagining they do!).

Are there things that should be added (or intentionally left out), that are fairly standard for brickfilm? Or do we treat it like live action and add everything in, going for as much realism as possible?

Re: Constructing sound

Sound design is sadly a fairly overlooked aspect to brickfilming. (Some films don't even have footstep sounds!) However, a few have tried going for a much more in-depth and realistic approach - even going as far as adding clothing rustles. If you've got the time and are willing, I say go for it!

It would really set your films apart. (In a good way)

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I'm just finishing up on my first brickfilm. As I edit, I'm also doing a rough sound edit. I've added the obvious sounds (footsteps, finger clicks, a radio being switched on, etc.), but it's those little details I'm more concerned about. I've added an ambience track, so even the silence isn't actually silent. But I'm just not sure how necessary certain sounds are (such as clothes noise).

I'll keep going with it until I'm happy. Sound editing is a whole other art unto itself! mini/lol

And I've just noticed there's and "Audio" sub-forum...

I guess this would've been better off posted there! mini/lol

Done and done. mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Yep! Sound design is an art. Obviously it depends on your film (Looney Tunes has very different sounds than your average horror film) But as has been said, the more detailed you get, the more others will take note.

If there's one brickfilmer that nails sound design every single time, it's ForlornCreature. Some of his behind the scenes videos have information on how he does it.

To answer your questions:

One of the biggest lessons I learned was the importance of ambient/atmospheric noise. While background music can help hide it, if you only include footsteps and other major noises, they will feel disconnected and strange. The real world constantly has sound bouncing around from a thousand different sources. Adding even a little to the background goes a long way in beefing up the entire soundscape.

For this film, the sound would be A. The obvious stuff like footsteps, dialog, and gunshots B. The somewhat background noises (Usually the droning lights) C. One or two background noises (Cars, wind, or that cool whooshing thing) D. The music. That seemed to work out well for that film.

As for realism, personally, I do footsteps, but only clothing if it's something obvious. (A character with a cape or backpack, for example.) But the more my film's sound has reached for live-action levels of detail, the more they've been praised for that. It sets films apart and can give them that extra edge of awesome.

I'd say go for as detailed and realistic as you can. (Within reason)