Topic: Software Inquiries

Hello! I am a new brickfilmer (technically) and I have moved on from simple programs on smartphones, tablets, and mobile devices. I have a Canon T3i. I have a desktop windows computer and a Macbook Air.

I was wondering what programs i should use for all stages of production (Capture, Edit/VFX, Audio).

I will list what options i have seen so far in each category.

capture:
dragonframe
boinx istopmotion
animashooter (windows only)

edit/VFX:
Final Cut Pro (Mac only)
Adobe AE (aftereffects)
Adobe PP (premierepro)

for audio i think you can just import sounds from those sound websites such as:
FindSounds
Freesound

Thank you for your help, ive been looking absolutely everywhere.
Your newbie,
StafFilms

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

Re: Software Inquiries

Also: I was considering doing some minor edits in Imovie or windows mm

My budget is around 200-300 bucks

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

iMovie is good for editing when starting out, WMM is a little limited and I would probably look at premiere elements or Vegas for windows.  You can also get Hitfilm Express for free but it's a little harder to learn.

I use stop motion software on my computer (it's built into my camera) so I don't have first hand experience but you could also check out Stop Motion Studio for pretty much any platform.

I recommend holding off on subscription based software, or any more expensive software until you've had quite a bit of experience and are sure that you want to spend the money.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Welcome to the site!

First, check out the Free Software List.

I'm told iMovie is a decent editor, much better than windows movie Maker, and it's nice that you already have it. If you wanted to upgrade, Vegas Movie Studio is a great choice. (Buying an older one, like 14 or 15, could save a lot too.)

Most folks with a DSLR end up getting DragonFrame to capture, but that alone will eat up your whole budget.

How much VFX work do you plan on doing right now? You may be able to skip After Effects entirely, which will save a lot.

Thanks for your efforts! I used stop motion studio pro before on the mobile devices and currently on mac its broken, but yes i will consider learning a bit more on some topics before spending!

Yeah, imove is great for adding audio and editing certain clips in and out, I believe vegas is only for windows but im not sure and I will look. For VFX i thought just something simple and I think that you are right, but im not sure and i think vfx is also for cropping wire or putty out too? thanks

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

Software like Final Cut, Vegas, and Premiere all have some basic VFX capabilities that will allow you to remove wire and putty if you are using masking and have a frame of the empty set.  If you want to do rig removal without a "clean plate" then you will need more advanced tools, but for stop motion that is almost never necessary.

“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Yeah, thats fine but the difference in prices is quite insane so if i wanted something like that I would either have to pay monthly or pay high price one time 300 or 329 for vegas 15

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

Vegas Movie Studio will do the job just fine, I recommend the platinum version which is only $59 right now
also Premiere Elements has basic masking and goes for between $69 and $99.

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:

Vegas Movie Studio will do the job just fine, I recommend the platinum version which is only $59 right now
also Premiere Elements has basic masking and goes for between $69 and $99.

I echo Mark, I've used Movie Studio (which is the consumer version of Vegas Pro) and it's great; really all you need for brickfilm editing.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I would have to agree with all the very wise advice given in this thread so far.

As for subscription software, it seems tempting, but a little math will quickly show how costly it is in as little as a year's time. I'd hold off on any subscriptions, and put the $15/month or whatever it is into a piggy bank to save up for something like Dragonframe, which is a fantastic value, even though it seems high when you look at the price tag from a distance. It's a one time purchase! It's also the industry standard, so you land a professional gig, it's what you'll want to know.  It also has a surprisingly easy learning curve for an industry standard software (I just can't wrap my brain around after effects, and while I'm more comfortable with Maya, I know I've only scratched it's surface!) and yet it's powerful enough to grow as your needs and capabilities grow, with capabilities for motion control and DMX lighting.

It's tricky because a lot of times the "industry standard" software is chosen by old farts who want things to work the way some ancient technology (Avid or Video Toaster) worked, or because of their loyalty to a certain operating system or mode of thinking. I can't tell you how many snobs scoff at not using Macintosh computers do do art, yet even ILM and Pixar switched over to Windows, which just goes to show how stuck some people can be in their perceptions, based on what was cutting edge 20 or 30 years ago.

Vegas is a very powerful editing software, with excellent audio capabilities, and decent compositing capabilities, however the film industry cronies don't really take it seriously, probably because it was born from the audio production industry. Which is stupid. I recommend Vegas to everyone!

And yet I have to turn down After Effects gigs because I simply haven't put the time into learning it. It's awkward because I feel the software is convoluted and weird, it's not intuitive to me. Adobe bought all of their major software from various companies, and didn't adapt them to make them work better. Ever notice that rotating an image 90 degrees in Photoshop goes clockwise, while in Illustrator it goes counter-clockwise?

I also hate the way Adobe is nickel-and-diming artists with their greedy subscription model. I once bought a perpetual license of photoshop, CS5 I think, I can't remember. But several years into it, around the time they rolled out their subscription model, they suddenly decided they didn't want to honor my purchase, so they claimed that I never had a valid license to begin with. I have the box right here on my shelf! I will never give another penny to those greedy bass turds!

Also, it really comes down to discovering your personal specialization. Are you more into the animation? lighting? cinematography? editing?

Last edited by thistof (August 13, 2019 (01:35am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Linux and open source software FTW!

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thistof! Love your films!

As for what i like to do. Im really interested in doing some cool lighting effects and a more moody setting for most films.

But then every other bit i can have some fun and experiment. So i think we have settled that Vegas is #1 here in this thread.
as for capturing, i think I could start with something in the cheaper range then try and leap to Dragonframe? What do you recommend currently. If you have any audio programs that work better than just finding free sounds and music then please list. Thank you for your generous help! Loving this place! -Staf

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

As for audio, generally I find sounds on Freesound.org, Sweetsoundeffects.com, or record my own using Audacity.

Honestly, Audacity is the only audio program you should need, unless you are going to compose your own music from scratch.

Pritchard, yeah to be honest that is true. But I dont really think I will talk too much in my own films. and have never heard anything about SweetSoundEffects.com will look!

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

For capture software, I think iKITmovie is pretty good. It comes in various versions, and you can download it for only about $70. It has Rig removal, chroma, overlays, and 2,200 free sound effects.
I have one problem with it though; when you play back, the frame rate is way slower then it's set, and when you export it, it plays correctly, making it really hard to do sound within the program.
And it takes forever to load, if that isn't normal with stop-motion software.

So I'd say it's good, aside from that frame rate problem, and I don't know if that's the program or my computer, so it might be worth looking into.

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us." - Romans 8:18

brickAnimator, welcome to the thread. I will see but that does sound pretty painful. honestly what i was looking at is boinx istopmotion its only 20 bucks and its pretty good by some brickfilmers like frame5 studios and a a few others who work towards dragonframe eventually, but will look thank you!

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

One thing to pay attention to is what camera's a software supports.  iKITmovie only supports webcams so it wouldn't help you much with a DSLR.  iStopmotion supports some DSLRS, I'm not sure which ones but you can check on the website.

You can always download the free trial of a software and test it as well.

Yup. It supports my camera so i think it will work fine.

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms

Okay so I have compiled a list of my current setup plans that you gracious fellows that have helped me with.

Capture: Boinx iStopmotion (temporary until I can afford Dragonframe)

Edit: Vegas Movie Studio, Platinum, or Premiere elements. (Most likely Movie Studio)

Audio: Just get free music and sound effects from different websites and import audio into editors.

I think thats just about it! Thank you for helping me on this thread so very much and I will be visiting all the other forums for different needs also! Thank you again and keep on bricking!

- Your buddy,
          StafFilms