Topic: Brickfilm Community Christmas Collab 2019

Hello everyone, and welcome to the 3rd Annual Brickfilm Christmas Collaboration! Continuing in the spirit of A Brickfilm Christmas and The 25 Brickfilms of Christmas, this year is a cross-community event with the goal of creating a Christmas-themed selection of brickfilms! Animators from Bricks in Motion, Brick a Brack, Brickfilm Day, The Plastic Films, and many more communities have come together to make this event a success, and we hope to continue the tradition.
For those of you who may not know me, my name is Chris and my brickfilm channel is Gold Brick Productions. Last year’s project coordinator, Slotborg, asked me to be this year’s project coordinator – I’ll be helping you all with the event theme, release schedule, and any questions you may have. I’ve had the privilege of partaking in the last two Christmas events and I am excited to see what this year holds!

The Theme
This year’s theme is a bit different: Secret Santa! Based on the popular Christmas party game, the goal is to add an element of mystery and surprise to the assortment of animations scheduled for release in December. Participants will have the entirety of November to work on their animations and a good portion of December to edit, wrap up, and publish their films.

How Does It Work?
The idea of the traditional Secret Santa is an unexpected gift given by an unknown giver. We will be taking this idea but applying it to animating and brickfilms! Participants will submit a prompt for an animation to a random drawing and will receive a random idea from another unknown participant. That idea will be the prompt for their animation, which they will have several weeks to complete. As we approach the final week of the collaboration, we will then schedule slots for the film releases.
Here’s a breakdown of the event

• All the participants get ready and hyped. A Discord server will serve as the main hub for announcements and activity.

• Each participant comes up with a Christmas-themed prompt for a brickfilm. Examples include “Santa’s vacation,” “the perfect gift,” “nativity,” “blizzard,” etc.

• The prompts are thrown into a hat and each participant gets a random prompt. They don’t know who the prompt is from.

• Participants then have several weeks to create an animation based on the prompt they are given. They are welcome to trade prompts if need be, but there will be an assigned cut-off date where their prompt is locked in.

• Coming up to the week of release, a formal release schedule will be announced. As the previous year had custom intro clips for each brickfilm, this year will provide custom intros that show who made the brickfilm, the original prompt, and the Secret Santa that gave the prompt.

Schedule
The following schedule is subject to change, updates will be made via the Discord server. Major updates will be made to any forum posts and announcement threads.

• November 1: The collab officially begins, and you’re reading this announcement! Please submit your prompt via this Google Form (https://forms.gle/QRL3DbG3i4NMJ5zK7) and join the Discord server (https://discord.gg/PN3SWsF).

• November 4: Submissions for prompts closes. This deadline may be extended if a lot of people need more time. When the submissions close, you will receive your random prompt via Discord or email. If you don’t like your prompt, talk with the project coordinator to arrange a trade.

• November 8: Trading prompts closes! The project coordinator will check in with everyone to get their prompt and make sure they are ready to begin!

• November 9: If you haven’t started on your video, start on your video!

• December 1: November has ended, and the holiday season begins! The project coordinator will check in with you on progress and make sure you’re all set.

• December 15: Time to start planning the release schedule! The project coordinator will check in with you to make sure you have a time slot for Release Week. Between now and Release Week, you will receive your video intro and should get your animation scheduled for release on YouTube.

• December 18 - 24: Release Week! Videos will be released at various intervals between the 18th through the 24th, so stay tuned to see who got your prompt and who sees your video based on their prompt!

• December 24: Closing ceremonies. Congratulations! You’re a Christmas collab veteran now. Pat yourself on the back and enjoy the time with your family.

Questions and Concerns

I DON’T WANNA JOIN THE DISCORD CHAT BECAUSE REASONS
There’s no obligation to join the chat, but that’s where all of the announcements, updates, and files will be. If you wanna join and mute, that’s fine. If you absolutely positively do not want to join, then contact me so we can discuss other arrangements.

I GOT A PROMPT AND I DON’T LIKE IT
You got a few options if you receive a prompt you don’t like. You can trade with another participant or trade with the event coordinator. The prompts should be open enough that you’ve got flexibility, but if you, say, receive a prompt that requires you to sing and you don’t want to sing, we can accommodate that.
There will be a participation confirmation deadline, so when that deadline passes, you will be stuck with your prompt. Choose wisely!

HOW WILL YOU RANDOMIZE THE PROMPTS AND PARTICIPANTS?
I’ve got a Python script I wrote up that will take the names and prompts and assign each person a random prompt. There is an additional feature so that I don’t see the names attached to each prompt when it runs, so that way, everyone stays secret.

WHAT DO OUR PROMPTS NEED TO HAVE?
Keep your prompt flexible, feasible, safe-for-work, and Christmas-themed. Allow some room for the person to interpret your prompt too. Prompts like “The President of Octan, dressed as Santa, falls down 30 flights of stairs to the tune of ‘Jingle Bells’” are too specific and limiting. Stick with a phrase, a word, a broad scenario, etc.
Here are some rough ideas I came up with:

• Christmas without snow

• Peace on earth

• Grandma’s not getting run over by a reindeer this year

• A carol revisited

• Mistletoe

• Decorating something other than a Christmas tree

• Snow day

• The Ghost of Christmas Future

CAN I TELL ANYONE MY PROMPT?
Keep your prompt secret as much as you can, otherwise everyone’s gonna figure out everyone’s prompts and we’ll lose the “secret” in “Secret Santa.” You’re certainly welcome to share script fragments, screenshots, and test clips, but be sneaky and keep everyone guessing!
If you have to tell someone your prompt to make your film work, that’s fine. Just keep it quiet.

HOW MUCH TIME DO I HAVE TO WORK ON MY VIDEO?
If all goes according to plan, Nov. 9th – December 20th.

CAN I USE LICENSED/IP ASSETS IN MY FILM?
You can do whatever you want as long as you address the prompt. If your prompt is “Paladium Christmas Tree” and your film has Iron Man decorating it, that’s fine. If your prompt is “Santa visits the children” and your film is a Batman crime thriller, then you’ve probably deviated too far from the prompt.

CAN WE COLLABORATE ON OUR FILMS?
If you and your friends want to, sure! Just make sure that your film matches your prompt.

DO I HAVE TO USE THE INTRO IN MY FILM?
You don’t have to, but it’s highly recommended as it gives credit to the original idea and allows people to figure out who did their prompt. Always give credit where it’s due.

I HAVE TO DROP OUT BECAUSE REASONS
Unless you’ve got an emergency and you just absolutely cannot make it happen, please commit the time needed to finish your part and plan accordingly. You’ve got plenty of time and it’d be unfortunate if a participant didn’t get to see their theme become a reality. If you’re worried about time, just DM the collab coordinator and we can figure out a plan. And hey, better a short film or a good piece of a film than no film at all!

WHY AREN’T WE CALLING THIS A WHITE ELEPHANT BRICKFILM EXCHANGE?
Because we looked up what a “white elephant” is on Wikipedia and it still makes no sense.

For any further questions, feel free to ask me! This post will be updated as regularly as possible, so stay tuned!

Re: Brickfilm Community Christmas Collab 2019

Count me in! (I hope)
Sure, I'm in the middle of buying a house and will be moving soon, but who cares?
That first week of filming is the perfect time for me, as it hits the one week I don't have major obligations in the next two months.

Bring it on!

Nothing else to get you into the Christmas spirit than a brickfilm collab!

Love this. Definitely going to enter.

Bro, I am all over this! Thanks for hosting this this year. I loved being a part of the last two years and am pumped for this one.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm really excited for this! Hoping I can get my animation studio all setup in time.

This may be what I need to stop procrastinating on filming. mini/tongue

This is a very interesting idea!

UPDATE (11/3) - GET THOSE PROMPTS IN SOON!

Hello everyone! I've got steady internet again and I'll be checking the prompts submitted so far! My attempts to make a script that would hide the names from me failed, and I have to review them all anyways to make sure we're all good, so I'll be going through the list. Don't worry, I'll make sure to keep it all hush-hush.

That being said, turn in your prompts soon! Tomorrow is the cutoff day, and after that, you will receive your random prompt! If you don't turn in a prompt by 11/4 at 8:00 PM EST (that's right about when I'll have time to randomize everything), then you won't be able to participate in the event.

If you have any questions or you're just stuck on your prompt, DM me and we can sort out some ideas.

When will I get my prompt? mini/blankexpression

UPDATE (11/5) - THE PROMPTS HAVE BEEN SENT OUT!
Yes, the prompts have been sent out! You should have received either a Discord DM or an email with your prompt - if not, contact me right away (email: superultralegofan[@] gmail.com) and we'll get it sorted out.

Please make sure to keep your prompt secret, so no one figures out who it came from! If you would like to trade, please contact me and we can figure out a plan. Trading ends on 11/8, after that date, your prompt is locked in.

If you're happy with your prompt as-is, feel free to begin filming!

Great prompt, this is where the fun begins! mini/sunnies

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49566491787_1f24d954b6_o.jpg

Website  ✧  YouTube  ✧  Flickr  ✧  Soli Deo Gloria

Super cool idea, good to see the tradition continuing, and keeping it fresh with a new approach! I wish I had time to contribute, but I'll enjoy watching this time around mini/bigsmile

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Cool!!! mini/smile  Does anyone know how to do a contest on Bricks in Motion? mini/shifty

The next contest should be THAC, most likely sometime in January.

ok, but how do you start one?:o

So for THAC will more people be using Vimeo instead of Youtube because of FTC? Right now I'm kind of freaking out and I just need to know if anyone else is with me.

what

how do you host a contest?:( mini/confused

Just asking...how come no films seem have been released yet? The release week was supposed to be from the 18-24, and so far I haven't seen any of the films.

☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆.。.:*・°☆

Here's the announcement video that GHB just posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qWvjE … 2&t=0s

Films will be released from the 21st to the 24th, with 20 brickfilms locked in on the schedule last I checked.