Topic: Scavenger THAC XVII

Directory Link

Scavenger THAC XVII

YouTube

A lone scavenger has a rare opportunity to explore an unusual cave on a distant planet, what will she find?

Really proud of how this turned out, it was fun to work with Mighty Wanderer again on another THAC film. This has some of the craziest lighting effects I've ever done in my animations.

Re: Scavenger THAC XVII

This entry is so good!  I loved the surreal aspects and the incredible visuals.
Amazing job.

Great lighting.
I liked how you used clay (or something similar) for the ground. I'll have to try that. It has the stickiness of studs, and the freedom of tiles.
Nice spaceship too.

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us." - Romans 8:18

Thanks folks!

Glad you liked the surreal stuff, Douglas, normally I go for more humorous films for THAC but just wanted to try something more atmospheric this time, it turned out pretty well.

Glad you liked the clay Brick, it took quite a bit of time to setup actually, at first I thought it would be faster than building a LEGO set but I think I spent over an hour trying to spread the clay out over the board, I think Mighty Wanderer has a video of me pouring molten clay over a board and spreading it out with a spoon, just the process of melting down the clay to get it ready to use took a lot of time, but overall we were really happy with it as it could look really huge as there were no studs for scale reference.

This was a fantastic film Sloth! Hope you place well!

Really pretty, fantastic lighting and smooth animation, but I’m not sure what happened. It’s not like she picked up anything, far as we know, she just touched it. Why? What was it? Did she want to take it, or just touch it?

The purple sunset was really well executed and the "glowing" studs in the cave were a wonderful touch. As always Sloth, your lighting and sets are spot-on.

Looks pretty remarkable. Would like to see a bigger film with such great quality of animation and sets. mini/sunnies
(I don’t really understand the YouTube comments being available for this film, it’s not for kids specifically but it’s still a  LEGO film.)

@Pritchard Studios
Glad you like the look, as far as the story I wasn't shooting for a super literal film, this may have hurt placements. But sometimes I like non-literal films as well as films that are more about mood and feeling rather than plot and structure.

We had a lot of trouble thinking up some starter ideas, but at the time I had a mood I was shooting for and I think we might have gotten close. this was the sort of mood we were shooting for I know some people like more literal stories but sometimes it's fun to make stuff that isn't. I feel like if I tell you what I think happened with the piece that would take away from viewers' own interpretations of what happened.

@Robukka
Glad you liked, sadly I don't have a lot of time these days to work on a longer film like this, we also borrowed a few thousand dollars of lights we don't regularly have access too (although I could light this if I only had to worry about one set at a time rather then two)

As far as the kids thing on YouTube I had set it as 'not intended for kids' as a mood-based film rather then some kind of narrative animation, just the nature of it seems less child-focused so it should be safe labeling as not intended for children.