Topic: Brickfilm Rewind 2019

It's rewind time!

Brickfilm Rewind 2019 takes a look back at some of the most memorable brickfilms of 2019. List compiled by Sebastian Segura and video edited by Wammy. Intro animation by AnimatorUnknown.

To see all of the films featured in their entirety, check out the playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … NmvWDcwK8n

What was your favorite brickfilm of 2019?

Bricks in Motion does not own, nor claim to own, any ownership or authorship to any of the brickfilms in this collection video, as made obvious by the titles and authors of the films in the video and the playlist (link in description).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Re: Brickfilm Rewind 2019

Hey

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
~ Psalm 23:6 ~

An excellent review of the year! Thanks for putting this together guys!
There were quite a few featured that I must have missed. Guess I'll have to hunt them down soon.

The sheer variety in styles was nice to note. While many pushed the boundaries on impressive animation and sharp visuals, a few had a classic "golden-age/old-school" feel, with some cartoon-y, some realistic, and all impressive.

The music got a touch repetitive about halfway through, but otherwise it's a perfect recap. One tiny detail that you may consider for next year is marking which ones were contest entries, or at least those that ranked in the respective contests.

Wammy wrote:

Hey

Hello there

It was great looking back through last year.  A fantastic year for brickfilming without a doubt!

It seems like there was nothing in there from Brickfilm Day 2019, which was one of the biggest events of this past year. This video feels like it was catered to one friend group and some unknowns (which is nice). The brickfilm community is bigger than this, so please do some more research instead of just looking in your subscription box.

I really like this idea - with an entire year's worth of films released, it can be all too easy to forget about the highlights across the year. I think we can all agree that 2019 was a solid year - tons of growth, some bold ideas, some unforgettable moments, and some truly legendary releases. Tons of those bits and pieces were captured in this recap, applause to the team that put it together!

However ... I didn't add my videos that featured here to the BiM directory, and I don't recall anyone asking me for my consent for the use of my video, so maybe that's something that needs to be addressed for next time. I understand it's not mission-critical in our smaller, more tightly-knit community, but something to be considered for a Rewind 2020.

Really enjoyed this! It's incredible seeing so many quality brickfilms in one place. It really brings into context the amount of wonderful content the community creates.  I know that Sebastian kept remembering films he missed in his list even in the last couple weeks, which just goes to show how much fantastic stuff is out there!

DudeBrick wrote:

It seems like there was nothing in there from Brickfilm Day 2019, which was one of the biggest events of this past year. This video feels like it was catered to one friend group and some unknowns (which is nice). The brickfilm community is bigger than this, so please do some more research instead of just looking in your subscription box.

Actually, there are four films from Brickfilm Day 2019 included: City Bank Robbery, The Janitor, Color, and Donut. If I understand correctly, this project started as just Sebastian's personal playlist and kind of bloomed from there, so I don't believe it's meant to be perfectly comprehensive. It'd be impossible to fully encompass the entire brickfilming community in such a video but I think this does a good job of showcasing many parts of that community, albeit with some bias towards sections the creators have interaction with. Here's to 2020's being even bigger and better!

Last edited by Undershadow (January 28, 2020 (11:22am))

YouTube | Twitter | Brick à Brack | Discord @ Undershadow#9982
   -- If a frame were worth a dollar, I'd be a millionaire by now --

Thank you for including me mini/delirium

2019 was a great year for brickfilming! Happy to have come back at a time when things seem to have advanced so far from the 2010-ish era, and I'm excited to see what new talent and projects that 2020 brings!

what is a signature

Awesome! I watched it on youtube on my tv.

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

DudeBrick wrote:

The majority of the films featured were taken from brickfilm day's monthly showcases, plus a few others people suggested. Browsing through the 498 lego related channels I'm subscribed to would have taken forever.

chris@gbp wrote:

However ... I didn't add my videos that featured here to the BiM directory, and I don't recall anyone asking me for my consent for the use of my video, so maybe that's something that needs to be addressed for next time. I understand it's not mission-critical in our smaller, more tightly-knit community, but something to be considered for a Rewind 2020.

I feel like for a video like this it's perfectly okay not ask for permission. Each clip is super short, and it's purely meant to showcase the film as being good, and is being used in a friendly promotional context. Plus it'd be unrealistic to expect someone to actually get permission for all of this. You've have to send out an Email for every single clip, which'd take a great deal of time.

DudeBrick wrote:

This video feels like it was catered to one friend group and some unknowns (which is nice). The brickfilm community is bigger than this, so please do some more research instead of just looking in your subscription box.

You do realize most of these weren't even posted on BiM right? Of course the "broader community" is much bigger than what we can include, but I didn't see anyone else volunteering to edit something like this. We just saw an opportunity to potentially advertise some unknowns, encourage the community, and just be a good reflection of what people are up to these days.

chris@gbp wrote:

I didn't add my videos that featured here to the BiM directory, and I don't recall anyone asking me for my consent for the use of my video, so maybe that's something that needs to be addressed for next time.

It's true that we didn't consult anyone to use their clips. But this is fair use. Yes, I agree it'd have been a good courtesy to ask everyone, but that's 89 people and, like you said, not all of them are on BiM. Logistics are tough. We can attempt to request permission next year (if there is a next year mini/frustrated ). But of course, if we only stuck to people who submitted to BiM, it'd be a BiM rewind... and as you can see from the quote above, people don't like that either. Heck, I don't like that.

I can't please everyone. This isn't a BiM rewind. It's a brickfilm rewind. It's meant to strengthen the community or at least just showcase and appreciate what people have done in the past year. But for some reason, it's always gotta be the drama and the community politics. This is just a hobby where we play with LEGO for a camera.

That being said, I do hope yall can overlook these things and enjoy the video nonetheless despite its flaws. I guess I shoulda known that by posting a rewind that it'd be disliked... judging by the response YouTube's rewind always gets... mini/shifty

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

That being said, I do hope yall can overlook these things and enjoy the video nonetheless despite its flaws. I guess I shoulda known that by posting a rewind that it'd be disliked... judging by the response YouTube's rewind always gets... mini/shifty

We're still performing infinitely better than Susan and Co. so that's still a win mini/smile

I don’t think there was anything wrong with this. To try and encompass the entire brickfilming world would be an impossible feat. There is still great variety in the clips showcased. As for asking people’s permission, it would be a lot of people to contact, as Rio said, and there isn’t anything wrong with using excerpts from other people’s material to do nothing more than promote them and their content. Hope this becomes an annual event!

What a great way to showcase the raw talent and vision of our animator comrades! 2019 was an great year for brickfilming, and this, in my opinion, is a great way to see it off! Instead of griping about logistics and creating pointless drama, we should appreciate the hard work and artistry that has gone into all these amazing films, as well as the effort that went into making this video (these things are gosh darn tedious to make). Thanks to everyone involved!

Wait, if I wanted to get one of my brickfilms in the video should I have posted it on BiM or how could I have gotten it in?

Last edited by Chaizin (January 30, 2020 (02:33pm))

what

My understanding is that they searched all of YouTube (and possibly other sites) to find some of the best content of the year. So while posting it to BiM is by no means necessary, it would probably help put it on their radar.

It was basically videos that were Sebastian's personal favorites. The whole list was compiled by him, so all the brickfilms in it were things that he thought were enjoyable or well made. But yeah, if you posted your videos to BiM, there might've been a better chance that Sebastian would've seen it and included it.

If we make another rewind for 2020, we're probably gonna do something other than have the list based on one man's taste in brickfilms.

https://bricksafe.com/files/Wammy/Our%20Friend%20Pablo.jpg  Watch it on YouTube!

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever."
~ Psalm 23:6 ~