Topic: Non-Brick-Built Sets

Is it cheating to build sets out of stuff other than bricks? Specifically, is it ok (as in, according to the general consensus within the brickfilming community) to build sets from cardboard? Or should they really be brick built?

I'm referring moreso to interior walls too, not so much backgrounds or to the sky. Instead of buying loads of bricks to build a wall, I'm just wondering if I should just build it from card. Is that "frowned upon".

Either way, I'll probably still end up buying the bricks and building it...

Re: Non-Brick-Built Sets

Use your creativity however you see fit! There is no wrong or right way to build a set. Whatever fits your story and animation styles best is what you should use. Slotborg used cardboard walls in An Extra Special Christmas Special and it fit the film perfectly.

The "brickfilming community" has never really frowned upon nor preferred any one technique or film type. It's sad when a well made film doesn't get a lot of recognition - but that sort of thing is inevitable in the era of YouTube. Generally, the community just prefers creators who are having fun, doing what they want/what they love - regardless of if they're following "trends" or one creative "direction."

There have actually been quite a few brickfilms utilizing non-brick built sets, although LEGO-centric films are still the norm. I, myself, used some of the old Harry Potter cardboard backdrops (included in the actual LEGO sets) for my Flick 'n Swish film. TheLoginProductions made the pilot of his Bat-Man series completely out of Minimates figures, cardboard/printed paper/wooden sets, and sparse LEGO & off-brand props! The Bat-Man: The Axeman's Jazz It really freed him up to take set designing more seriously - and break away from some of the brickbuilt "norms" of LEGO MOCing.

Doug Vandegrift's America: Outlawed and Pirates! both use an impressive amount of greenscreening and solid color backgrounds for sky effects, water, etc. If you really use your director's eye, you'll notice that some shots are completely chroma keyed with just a minifigure or prop visible otherwise! But he blends it so well, not many have pointed it out.

And, of course, there's Rübermachen; a former highlighted brickfilm of the week for it's creative use of model railway decorations as sets! This served as the primary inspiration for both myself and TheLoginProductions to do just what you're proposing, and break away from LEGO sets for more experimentation - and often times - more creative freedom.

It's frustrating to imagine gigantic ornate sets in your mind only to be limited by your supply of LEGO bricks. Going with a different medium can certainly help free your mind, and I'd definitely recommend it. Now that I've started experimenting with non-LEGO buildings - I doubt I'll ever fully go back. (Unless I REALLY want an "Out of Time" classic brickfilming look)

Go for it! And please share what you come up with! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Thanks for the detailed replies! You've given me lots to think about!

Having watched some of these films, I think I'll never shy away from doing something other than brick built sets (as some of the techniques used here work really well), but I think for what I'm currently thinking of, a brick built set will work best.

Many thanks!

i like lego because i can add a lot of detail. but do what ever you want to!

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

I’m planning on making a large set out of cardboard and painting over it do give it a rough, planetary look.