Topic: Dragonframe and Sony Cameras

Hey guys,

I am new to the whole subject of brickfilming.

I want to buy a DSLR Camera and use it with the software Dragonframe.

I really like the Sony Alpha 6400, but unfortunatelly, Dragonframe cannot control focus or provide focus check with this camera. But it can control ISO, shutter speed, aperture etc., - just not the focus (and live view magnification).

My question - is this an important issue? Will it be complicated to adjust the focus manually all the time, or is this a minor detail?
Should I rather geht a Canon EOS, where Dragonframe can also control focus?

I would really appreciate your help and insight!

Thanks in advance,

Locke

Re: Dragonframe and Sony Cameras

If you’re just new to brickfilming, I would strongly advise against blowing nearly $1000 on that kind of equipment. Get your feet wet in the hobby before you invest in such equipment. Fancy equipment is nice, but it’s not what makes a good movie. There are plenty of affordable, high quality webbcams on the market that are compatible with excellent, free software. If you have that kind of money to blow on brickfilming all at once, I would strongly recommend buying bulk LEGO. There’s no subsitite to the things you can do with a great brick collection. As to your question, this should be of no concern whatsoever. I adjust my focus, zoom, and aperture on the lens by hand. I can give no word of advice on mirrorless cameras because I have never used one, but EOS cameras are the most common in brickfilming, and I can testify to their durability. I’m using one from 2009 and it still works wonderfully. ISO and shutter speed should all be adjustable in dragon frame with one of these cameras. A handy tip I would give you, that not many people know, is to get a very old Nikon F-mount lens. As long as it’s been taken care of, age is of no concern with a lens. And old Nikkor lenses can come very cheap. You can then connect this to your camera with an inexpensive adapter. Another HUGE plus to this is that by using this adapter, all auto focus features on the lens are not functional, so you never have to worry about auto focus kicking in.

Yeah, definitely don't spend so much on a hobby that you aren't sure how long you'll be into it.

I would suggest starting on an iPhone with a cheap-ish app. Stop Motion Studio is a pretty good starter. But make sure you're going to use what you buy. I doubt that most brickfilmers have a DSLR, much less dragonframe. And they still make great videos.

So get you feet wet, and if you're sure that you want to continue brickfilming after a little while, go ahead and spend something on it.

"I consider that the sufferings of this present time are as nothing compared with the glory to be revealed for us." - Romans 8:18

Yes unless you have been doing this for a while and you are sure about your purchase, don’t do it. And going to the question, I personally use a EOS and I still manually adjust the focus by hand. Sometimes it’s better to have manual focus, say, you have a shot where it’s focused on the character then it focuses on the “Dynamite”, auto focus isn’t always the answer. And no don’t blow anymore money buying a new camera, the Sony’s are fine. And yes, as the other animators have advised, BUY.BULK.LEGOS. It is so hard when you are building a set for a movie you’re making that you run out of legos! It’s so much nicer when you have a good supply of bricks. Pick a brick and bricklink are very helpful. And I am excited to see the upcoming movies that you make!
(Edit) Yes stopmotion studio is great to star on an iPhone on an android.

Last edited by Panoramic Studios (March 16, 2020 (08:48am))

I move plastic in front of a camera for fun

Honestly, I'm gonna give you advice opposite to everyone else. mini/tongue

If you want a DSLR, go for it. It seems you're also ready to get Dragonframe. Obviously this depends on your budget, but it doesn't look like you're on a shoestring so we're good.

I've never used focus control on my Canon camera before with Dragonframe. Because I don't have any lenses that support it. Only higher-end lenses with electronic connectors support focus control. I use manual lenses anyway (usually vintage Nikkor and Helios lenses) that have no electronics (since they were made for SLRs in the '70s), and focusing isn't a problem. You just have to make sure your camera is locked down well when you want to adjust focus. A tripod or maybe a LEGO frame for the camera that sits on the desk is a must. Once the camera is stable, you're good to focus in the middle of shots all you want.

Welcome to brickfilming!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b