Topic: The Forlorn Piscator - A Stop-Motion Animated Short Film

The Forlorn Piscator

The Forlorn Piscator is a story about a fisherman who tries to reclaim the former glory of his youth when the opportunity arises.

This short film is my submission for my final year project at university; would really appreciate some feedback mini/sunnies

Slurpy

Re: The Forlorn Piscator - A Stop-Motion Animated Short Film

I like the animation of the fisherman; I was quite amazed by the movements at many points. And the seafaring was intensive.
Minor negatives were that the different scales (no pun) didn’t work and the pace was slow in the beginning. There was a big change in his life yet the only visible indicator was that he looked older.

Re: The Forlorn Piscator - A Stop-Motion Animated Short Film

Robukka wrote:

I like the animation of the fisherman; I was quite amazed by the movements at many points. And the seafaring was intensive.
Minor negatives were that the different scales (no pun) didn’t work and the pace was slow in the beginning. There was a big change in his life yet the only visible indicator was that he looked older.

I agree with the scale issue; it's something I acknowledged in my dissertation regarding the film and is definitely something (in my next project) that I'm going to focus upon improving. Perhaps by making more detailed minature sets and working with various lighting and camera techniques.
In regards to his big change, had the short been a few minutes longer I would have really liked to have included more sequences detailing the toll on his life before showing him as the old man that he becomes. I should have also maybe altered his costume as well in the process.
Thanks, and I really appreciate the feedback Robukka!