Topic: Archimedes

Created in twelve hours for a timed competition, this is a short standalone trailer about Archimedes. I used a mix of stop-motion and CGI, mainly using Blender and After Effects. Thanks to James Olszewski for letting me cut together some of his music in the trailer. Make sure to check out more of his music.

The story of Archimedes is pretty amazing, and I wish I could have brought other elements into the film like the cranes and mirrors as well as the Roman ships, but unfortunately time constraints meant I had to focus on one of his inventions - a sort of catapult used to hurl rocks. I hope you enjoy the film! It's not my best work to date due to how quickly I had to work, but I learned a lot while working on it.

Youtube
Vimeo

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (April 11, 2009 (10:03am))

Re: Archimedes

...I think it's well done...the thing I don't understand is if you'll do a film or you did just the trailer...

He said it was a stand alone trailer, which means he wont make the whole film.
That was very great.
I'm pretty much speechless. I think the CG was well done but in some places it was missing texture like the rock walls and catapults and what ever but you had a time restraint, so no complaints here.
Very well done.

I really liked that, Leo. Very impressive. Animation and CGI were very well done- the idea itself was very interesting, too. Overall you did a very good job. And respect for doing that in such a short period of time!
Oh, and: the music fit very good, in my opinion.

- JD

http://www.abload.de/img/cooksige238.jpg
YouTube | Flickr                                 "Bad Taste on YouTube"

It's full of atmosphere. Liked it very much. Hope you will think about making a whole film again.

ブリックフィルマー

That was neat.  I've considered making another brickfilm about Archimedes before.  Some of the entirely CG shots didn't really work for me, particularly if they had minifigures in them, but I understand you were in a bit of a time crunch and given that everything looked pretty good.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

That was really good. The CGI and The animation were really good. The effects were the thing that I thought really made the film spectacular. Great job. mini/smile

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

The digital effects were a bit *censored*, but it looks pretty intense. mini/smile

Better than hearing about it in history class. mini/tongue Was this for a school project?

-Jimmybob

Move over Rover, let Jimi take over.
[email protected]

Umm...   is that what you meant to type, jimmybob? If so, I must be falling behind in current language, because I somehow missed your meaning.

- Leo

EDIT: It looks like Smeagol censored it.

Last edited by Leonardo812 (April 11, 2009 (07:04pm))

I quite liked it,the animation was rather smooth,the CG was good for the time it took,and the music I liked.
I didn't like some of the CG scenes,and disliked the walk/movement of the soldier in the final scene.
Overall, a good film for the time constraints, I give it
7/10

-JAM

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

I'm glad to see you make another brickfilm. You are awesome with CGI and special effects, and how you made that whole trailer in only 12 hours blows my mind. Very nice job.

Website YouTube Twitter
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mruqon.jpg
Check out my live action directing debut, The Day That Never Comes

Woohoo! I just got the results from the timed contest I entered. There were 64 entries, and I placed 6th, which I'm pretty pleased with. Just in case anyone's interested, here's a link to see the other entries at christianfilmmakers.org.

On a side note, I'm kind of thinking of doing a CG breakdown or "making-of" video for this similar to what I did for Plant.

- Leo

well done

GREAT!
Verry epic.
I wish you will make a full movie out of that stuff.
It had some cool scenes which I can use as "idea" for my knight/dragon movie.

I realy like the cinematographie and the lighting.
Ok, the CG in some scenes (the castle) is not the best, but its still ok!

One of my favorite "epic" brickfilm!

Mario said it best, it has a real EPIC feel. Great stuff Leonardo.
And in only 12 hours, imagine if you spent 12 weeks.
A making of would be very cool.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

bodville wrote:

Mario said it best, it has a real EPIC feel.

In my last two films I've been working on that a lot. I feel like most brickfilms have a small feel to them. Hastings is the first film that struck me as being "epic" because it always felt large, grand, etc.  Part of it is just showing the sky a lot and not being afraid to do hard angles.

- Leo

Hm, "Manchilds" is NOT epic, but ist shows many times the heaven. And it includes some hard angles mini/wink
http://brick-cinema.com/details.php?image_id=182

No, I think Epic is a its a mixture out of
hard angles,
big heavens,
lighting,
Sets,
Cam-Pan,
Size (Forgeground with backround),
Movie-Colors,
Format (16:9),
Storyline,
Storytelling
and so on...

Anyway, if this is "your key", you made it well done!!!

I would love to see a making-of. That's always interesting. mini/smile

http://www.abload.de/img/cooksige238.jpg
YouTube | Flickr                                 "Bad Taste on YouTube"

not big on stop-motion; the blurred movements are awkward. Still the look is gorgeous. mini/eek Cannot wait to see what you come up with next, kind of hope the subject is similar.

wow! mini/eek
Can't wait!

-GS

I'm a bonehead.. But not in making movies! mini/wink