Topic: The Metal Detector

This is a short video pointing out one of the flaws of the Lego World...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/PdoubleyouC/Detector/metal_detector_cover.png
On youtube

Tell me what you think, everyone! I tried much harder in this video to have more subtle background motion to give more livelihood to the clip. Suggestions gladly taken mini/smile

http://theduckcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/design_flaw.png
Moo-ack Productions! Latest release: "Design Flaw"~Patrick W. Crawford

Re: The Metal Detector

Lol that was great. Animation was smooth and the sound was good (I think, they're replacing our windows atm so there's a lot of background noise here lol).
You got too much light flicker though and the camera was moving too much when you filmed the airport sign.
Instead of moving the camera, move your set infront of the camera, this should reduce the movement when you show the sign. mini/wink
There are loads of threads and tutorials on how to reduce/get rid off light flicker so I won't go in detail about that.

micky.brick.eyes wrote:

Instead of moving the camera, move your set in front of the camera, this should reduce the movement when you show the sign.

Okay, I realize there is 'shifting' of the camera, but do you really think it is anymore practical to move an entire set versus the camera base? In this particular case, the set was one of the large gray plates, so it wouldn't have been possible as it was basically in the middle of the plate.
How about this, if I were to tape the camera down to some sort of stable base (block of wood, small base-plate, etc) and moved that, I think it would be more stable. Is this something most people do, or is it really common to move the set itself (even one large-ish like this)?

And thanks for the reply mini/smile

http://theduckcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/design_flaw.png
Moo-ack Productions! Latest release: "Design Flaw"~Patrick W. Crawford

PdoubleyouC wrote:
micky.brick.eyes wrote:

Instead of moving the camera, move your set in front of the camera, this should reduce the movement when you show the sign.

Okay, I realize there is 'shifting' of the camera, but do you really think it is anymore practical to move an entire set versus the camera base? In this particular case, the set was one of the large gray plates, so it wouldn't have been possible as it was basically in the middle of the plate.
How about this, if I were to tape the camera down to some sort of stable base (block of wood, small base-plate, etc) and moved that, I think it would be more stable. Is this something most people do, or is it really common to move the set itself (even one large-ish like this)?

And thanks for the reply mini/smile

You could move the sign. mini/wink
Anyway, taping down the camera would/should work, especially if you got some train tracks and a train (like in the real movies lol).
A smaller baseplate would work as well, especially if you make a small track with bricks so it can only move sideways.

that was great, well made and a good story idea mini/wink

Wow, I really liked that. Just sort the light flicker and it'll be close to perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Loved that . mini/smile

_2014

Moving the set or moving the camera is a judgment call that you just have to decide on yourself. If the set has one firm edge you can slide it along then that's probably best as there is less chance of camera bumps. I have tried that a few times and it is very effective even with a large set. I even use it to slide large models to ensure they move smoothly (see the ferry in "The Bulls New Caravan")
Otherwise you may have to build an elaborate dolly for the camera to slide smoothly on.

In hand car I used two types of dolly. One was a flat railway carriage custom built for the camera to sit on. The dolly rolled nice and smooth along the train tracks. Having tracks means you don't have to worry about the path it takes while recording, it follows the rails. The scene with the hand car stopping at the red station was done with that dolly.
The 2nd dolly was a platform using car tyres. The hand car sat in front of it and as I pushed it forward the camera rolled along as well. That scene is when the hand car drags off the blue car.

Hope that all helps. Despite some camera bumps I enjoyed your film. Only one joke and I saw it coming but it was well done.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

A bit of light flicker but I really liked it. mini/bigsmile

link on the background mini/bigsmile very nice! loved the plot mini/smile

-GS

I'm a bonehead.. But not in making movies! mini/wink

That was great!The light flicker was the only flaw!

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY

If you have high enough resolution on your camera, you could set the camera far enough back to get the entire panned area in one frame.  Then use software to do a digital zoom and pan. 

I assume pressing the shutter button on your camera is still the primary cause of your camera bumps, even with using the delay timer.

There was so much animation in nearly every shot (primary and background action), kudos for tackling so much detail.  It must have been quite a challenge to keep track of everything that was going on in each shot as you animated, and I imagine pretty slow to film.  Nice work.

Lol, nice one. There were some light flickers though, try to avoid that.

-Thijs