Topic: Star Wars Meets Star Trek: Attack of the Drones

Directory Link

Though this is one of my older films, it did not have its own review thread originally, so I never received any formal reception from it other than Cometgreen's review for the directory.  I recently got around to uploading it to YouTube, so it's much easier for people to view it now than it was in the past.

Running at just over half an hour, this is one of my early films, completed after three slow years of production, in 2005.  As per the length, it is divided into three segments on YouTube.

YouTube:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Alternately, you can download the entire film in RealMedia format:

RM Download, 138 MB

The Film Page on my website has some extra features, including posters and "The Making of Attack of the Drones."

-Sméagol

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Star Wars Meets Star Trek: Attack of the Drones

I was always really disappointed that there was no thread for this on BF, since I really liked it and wanted to see what others thought. At any rate, this is pretty awesome considering the quality of your films before this, and how much it improves along the way, the voice acting especially. In terms of the story I don't think you achieved anything particularly incredible, mostly because this overlaps so much with the Star Wars storyline that it could never work in the timeline. Nonetheless, it's great in its own fantastical sort of way. The most impressive aspect is of course the visual effects, which appear to have been the main focus in production, and as a result stand out incredibly from the stop-motion parts. When I first saw this, I know I went over and over several of the space battle shots, which still look amazing despite the at times rather obvious inconsistencies. Regardless of all the problems with AotD, I found it incredibly enjoyable and impressive. Making a 30 minute film of any quality level is a great achievement.

Last edited by Nick Durron (December 26, 2008 (10:40pm))

It's nice to have a chance to review this film. Attack of the Drones was one of the first brickfilms that I watched. The amazing special effects in this film made me want to make my own movies. Some of the space battles can only be described as epic. My only gripes about AotD are some of the scenes where people are talking. There is practically no animation in those shots. The minifigure is motionless as we hear dialogue. On top of that, at some times the dialogue can be very flat and unemotional. However, I feel that quality of the effects and it's "epicness" make up for the dialogue. This is a very enjoyable brickfilm. mini/bigsmile

Whoa... Thats good, I really liked the effects, and the dialogue was great. There's just about nothing that I can complain about, except for the voice acting, I couldn't hear it well, but I was wearing earphones, so there was no problem there. Again, the effects were great, especially the 3D effects, the animation was nicely done too. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be off to try and make a Star Wars brickfilm myself, for once.

-storgero

YouTube | PlayStation Network: storgero | Xbox LIVE: storgero | Steam: storgero

Sméagol wrote:

Running at just over half an hour, this is one of my early films, completed after three slow years of production, in 2005.

I've always wondered how long it took you to complete a film of this length and complexity.  I wish more brickfilmers had that kind of patience, and I commend you for not giving up on it. 

Even though it's one of your first films, it's still quite entertaining and I imagine you learned tons from doing it in terms of how to tell a story with film.  To think in 3 years you've come from this to make a film as beautifully done as Unrenewable is inspiring.

[Release] Star Wars Meets Star Trek: Attack of the Drones

The 30 minute epic is sure to leave with a good feeling after viewing. With the films overall quality shaping up at the end, it leaves you with a satisfying experience. The special effects are a little dated but at the time of its release, Smeagol was ahead of the game. with some nice gags and a gripping story, you're in for a wild ride; including space battles and the climax with sabre on sabre action. You better be prepared to be boarded.

it was okay, pretty good for an earlier film.

^^^ Haha!

The special effects are quite intense, I love this film. Otherwise all my gripes have already been said.

That was very, very enjoyable.  The animation was better at some parts than others, and the voice acting could have been better, but the writing is great, the effects are great... This is impressive, even by today's standards.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

I said it once and I'll say it again; besides the first line, Picard sounds like a nine year old with a cold.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

I couldn't hear well some parts of the dialog, but it's a great film anyway...