Re: The D-SLR Discussion

Yeah, In the Asian market it's known as 550D Kiss x4. In American markets it's 550D Rebel T2i and in Europe it's just 550D.

Okay, Thanks.
I was just checking because there's a pretty big price difference on some of them.

http://i.imgur.com/lZUQ9.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/9CQIM.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/YZLtR.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ICcjc.png

Alright I know there are other threads for this question, but I'm too lazy to look- doesn't taking a ton of photos, as for brickfilming, really bad for the shutter, doesn't it wear it down quicker? Because I recall people talking about that.

And another question, I've been looking for a great DSLR for live action filming- which would be more preferable, in your opinions, and ignoring the 100 dollar cost difference; the Rebel t2i or the Rebel t3i (EOS 600D)

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

I have a question
I have a nikon D60 with a AF-S Nikkor G lens. Will this adapter let my nikon lens fit on my t2i??

I have a nikon D60 with a AF-S Nikkor G lens. Will this adapter let my nikon lens fit on my t2i??

I can almost guarantee that it'll fit with almost any lens. Certainly, I haven't seen anything saying otherwise.

Alright I know there are other threads for this question, but I'm too lazy to look- doesn't taking a ton of photos, as for brickfilming, really bad for the shutter, doesn't it wear it down quicker? Because I recall people talking about that.

Shutters are hardy things. It take many years and many photos to ware it down. And with new technology even more so. I wouldn't worry about this - and if worst comes to worst, you can replace the shutter, although you'd be better off buying a new dslr if it did go that far.

And another question, I've been looking for a great DSLR for live action filming- which would be more preferable, in your opinions, and ignoring the 100 dollar cost difference; the Rebel t2i or the Rebel t3i (EOS 600D)

Ignoring the 100 dollar difference, then the T3i, solely for the swivelling screen. It helps hugely when doing ground level shots, as well as more arial types. I myself have bought the T2i, but that's because I'm a bigger photographer than filmmaker, plus I needed the extra money for a good lens (18 - 135mm).

AND, since I mentioned it, I'd just like to say that I ordered my 550D with 18 - 135mm (f/3.5 - 5.6) lens from e-bay a couple of days ago. It cost me $930.00/€645.00/£566.00 and $53.00 shipping, from america to ireland. Can't wait to get it! I spent all my money though, and my birthday money, and the money I got from my parish on it. Well worth it though.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

hehey! same here, dude. My birthday money, extra cash earned (and trying) by entering film contests... yeah. But the t3i comes with an 18-135mm anyway, so boo-yah.

If I were you I'd go for the 550D with the 18-135mm kit lens, and then get the 55mm f/1.8 separately, as it's reduced to a $100 dollars on amazon.com.

It'd be well worth it, trust me.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I am guessing I wouldn't use it for animation, but I am looking into the Canon 60D for my live action films, and still photography. It has a flip out screen which REALLY helps while filming.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I myself had been researching the 60D as a possible candidate, but was while watching a video (Digital Rev TV's) Canon 550D vs 60D vs 7D that he said something I realised afterwards to be very true.

If you want a smaller DSLR, either because of your budget or because you want to get some lenses, the 550D is for you. If you want to get a big strong camera with high specs then the 7D is for you. But then there's the 60D, which is halfway in-between, with no real defining features that make it a worthwhile investment on it's own.

Of course that's not to say it isn't a good camera, it's just unfitting considering the other choices available (For instance, the Nikon D7000).

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Why would anyone buy the 60D? It's $100 and the specs are almost identical to the 550D.

Onion wrote:

want to get a big strong camera with high specs then the 7D is for you.

While it is more durable the specs are exactly the same because the 550D is the 7D in a different shell.

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

Greenscreener Studios wrote:

While it is more durable the specs are exactly the same because the 550D is the 7D in a different shell.

That's not actually completely true. Here are some things the 7D has over the 550D.

The 7D boasts a whopping 8 fps vs the 550D's 3 fps
The 7D also has a better shutter
7D uses CF while the rebel uses SD.
There's weather sealing on the 7D, while there is none on the 550D.
PLUS, as you afore mentioned, Magnesium-alloy vs plastic body.

So while I am a 550D fanboy (I've already bought one), there are some advantages to getting the 7D - but if you were bothering then I'd just get the Nikon D7000 instead.

EDIT: Could anyone tell me while this got -2 for me just giving comparisons?

Last edited by Onion (August 4, 2011 (11:20am))

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I dunno what you are all talking about but...

I have a canon 550d, and it has proved me well recently. Amazing settings, Amazing quality, Amazing animator with it.

Anyways, I got it for 600 pounds (got a discount) with the lens, and at the moment I don't need another lens, its fine mini/bigsmile

mod edit: Ohai there Mod, you alright?
http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=DWStorm
^^^^Check out my bricklink store ^^^^

I'm not sure if you completly understand what a lens is- maybe you think if it gets old you replace it? There's always a better lens than stock lenses. Myself, I really want a wide angle/telescopic zoom all-in-one lens (it'll fit all my needs mini/smile)

Onion wrote:
Greenscreener Studios wrote:

That's not actually completely true. Here are some things the 7D has over the 550D.

The 7D boasts a whopping 8 fps vs the 550D's 3 fps
The 7D also has a better shutter
7D uses CF while the rebel uses SD.
There's weather sealing on the 7D, while there is none on the 550D.
PLUS, as you afore mentioned, Magnesium-alloy vs plastic body.

So while I am a 550D fanboy (I've already bought one), there are some advantages to getting the 7D - but if you were bothering then I'd just get the Nikon D7000 instead.

EDIT: Could anyone tell me while this got -2 for me just giving comparisons?

Like I said, essentially the same except for the body. 8fps is nice, but for an extra $300? Unless you're about to take a trek up Everest I don't really see the point. mini/wink

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

WOW haven't been on the forum for like EVER. ANYWAYS i got a Canon T3i about a 3 days ago and i am SOOOO happy  with it's performance. I wanted it mostly for live action but of course i still wanna attempt using it for brickfilming! So i use windows and monkeyjam for animations and i can't get the T3i to show up on my camera list on monkeyjam. Anyone have any ideas? ALSO should i get a macro lens? It seems like i'd need it if i hope to focus correctly when i animate.

I have awesome sauce in my veins! Which i sprinkle on each of my videos to give it an extra dose of aweomseness!

www.youtube.com/NFfilmz

You have a T3i now. You don't need to touch monkeyjam anymore. The t3i comes with software that includes a remote capture utility built JUST FOR YOU! It controls the camera remotely and perfectly. Trust me, we've had time to use it.

And no need for a macro either! What you do is... you capture in the largest resolution possible, giving yourself large margin for framing. That means that you can move the camera reasonably far away from the minifigs, allowing you to focus. Then, import into After Effects or such, reframe the shot (and remove all camera shake and light flicker), and voila! An absolutely perfect shot with razor-sharp focus.

Last edited by Bluescreener Studios (August 4, 2011 (07:03pm))

PunBB bbcode test

Bluescreener Studios wrote:

You have a T3i now. You don't need to touch monkeyjam anymore. The t3i comes with software that includes a remote capture utility built JUST FOR YOU! It controls the camera remotely and perfectly. Trust me, we've had time to use it.

And no need for a macro either! What you do is... you capture in the largest resolution possible, giving yourself large margin for framing. That means that you can move the camera reasonably far away from the minifigs, allowing you to focus. Then, import into After Effects or such, reframe the shot (and remove all camera shake and light flicker), and voila! An absolutely perfect shot with razor-sharp focus.

Well i guess later today ill see what i can do (: BUT where does the canon software send the pictures when i take them? ALSO the lens on the camera can't zoom that much (the one that came with it)

I have awesome sauce in my veins! Which i sprinkle on each of my videos to give it an extra dose of aweomseness!

www.youtube.com/NFfilmz

The one that came with it is a 18-55mm. Same one we've been using. Zooms just fine, you don't need any more.

The canon software sends the pictures wherever you want them (it will ask you to specify a directory).

PunBB bbcode test

Well thats seems awesome (: i guess my last issue is that i'm not sure if i can preview what i have FAST in the middle of animating... Is it possible?

www.youtube.com/NFfilmz

Oh, ja. You can have the place where you're saving your pictures open. When you want to preview, set the display mode to large icons, and make the window small enough that it can only fit one picture horizontally. Then hold down the scroll down button. It will animate like a flipbook. Not perfect, but a good preview.

PunBB bbcode test