Topic: Smooth As Plastic

Directory Link

Smooth As Plastic

Smooth As Plastic

A LEGO man seemingly accomplishes an impossible minifigure maneuver: walking on a smooth, stud-free floor.

Re: Smooth As Plastic

mini/eek
Amazing,just.AMAZING.
5/5.

-CDP

Last edited by Troodon (February 3, 2012 (02:07pm))

Nice smooth animation. 5/5

Thank you both very much! mini/smile

Nice!

I love your videos. But this one was cooler than others. It reminded me of inception. Smoothception?

~Hal

co0lwill wrote:

I love your videos. But this one was cooler than others. It reminded me of inception. Smoothception?

Thank you so much! Thanks to Isaac as well!

Did you edit the guy in on one of the walking sequences?

buikes wrote:

yeah I was wondering that too. mini/what

~Hal

buikes wrote:

Not exactly. In the sequence where it shows him actually walking on the smooth surface I was actually animating like this:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s1vEZ3UiJrs/TyybB7KtCjI/AAAAAAAAHWA/FaF0UmVtcT4/s800/IMG_0652.JPG

And then I masked all of the clay out and turned it into tile instead. The only downside to this technique is I had to get rid of the shadow of the figure so that's why it looks like it does. I tried several other methods to animate on a smooth surface and they just didn't work well for a 24fps walk cycle, so I came up with this idea.

A neat idea, but unfortunately the end result looked rather fake because of the lack of shadow. Cool stuff though.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

NXTManiac wrote:

A neat idea, but unfortunately the end result looked rather fake because of the lack of shadow. Cool stuff though.

Yes, sadly. I don't know if I'll ever get around to trying to overcome that issue. It's not every day I animate on smooth surfaces though. I went with it though because it looked better than the other two methods I tried and a deadline was approaching. Anyways, thanks!

A great way to get rid of that is to play around with your light positions. Move your lamps around in different spots and moving them closer and further from your table to see what the outcome is. mini/smile

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Cool animation, congrats! (animating LEGOs on smooth surfaces is every brickfilmer's nightmare mini/lol )

But you can see the clay in the beginning, when he gets up mini/tongue

I have just released Indiana Jones and the Mystical Gemstone, you can watch it here!

1011ev wrote:

A great way to get rid of that is to play around with your light positions. Move your lamps around in different spots and moving them closer and further from your table to see what the outcome is. mini/smile

Good point! If I had have gotten myself one more lamp and positioned it near where my camera was I probably could have eliminated that problem. The other difficulty was finding a good POV that eliminated the figure's reflections on the smooth tile. It looked really odd when I had to erase those so I had to change the POV to compensate for that.

md2a wrote:

Cool animation, congrats! (animating LEGOs on smooth surfaces is every brickfilmer's nightmare mini/lol )

But you can see the clay in the beginning, when he gets up mini/tongue

Haha I noticed that! By the time I did though I had already gotten the animation all together and decided it wasn't worth going back. Thank you by the way! mini/smile