Topic: Late for Work is BACK IN BUSINESS I think

Okay so Squash took over the leadership of the project and I think he's reviving it now. Ask him for questions and stuff like that, I have no involvement in the project anymore. D:

============================

(TL;DR version: Disappointment. Late For Work half-failed and I kicked out 7 out of 10 animators. Will follow up in a couple of weeks.)

Hello everyone,

As you may or may not know, for the last 18 months I have been directing a project named "Late For Work". I presented the concept, idea, outline and format and everything in July 2007. The main goal of the project was to have both newbies and more experienced brickfilmers working on it, side by side. There was a lot of room for personal thinking; there were a couple of obligatory scenes (that just had to be shot), and then there were a lot of "make up your own mind" scenes where you could think up anything you want. Back in July 2007, the project was received with a lot of enthusiasm, and soon I had a lot of animators, both new and experienced, ready to work on it.

After some on-and-off activity, the official animating started (for most animators) in January 2008. In April, after a couple of animators dropped out, I added three new animators to the list. In July, I set the official deadline for late August/early September. Now, we're nearing January 2009, and just about one year after we started the animation part, I thought I should write what's the haps.

Three of the thirteen animators sent in footage. Two of these three are now done with the footage they promised to shoot for me; one still needs to shoot more (but I haven't gotten back to him yet so I can't blame him on anything).
Munzapoppa
Squash
Maronislego

These three animators were in originally but dropped out somewhere along the line for a variety of reasons. Thanks for trying, guys. mini/smile
jay
Matt_Gillan
Gabe

Now, this is where it gets ugly.

Over half of the animators never got back to me. Some brickfilmers just fell off the face of the Earth completely, some did answer me once or twice, and some just never got back to me despite my repeated calls for action. As a result of this, as of now I am throwing out all of the participants who didn't send me any results at all. These are the seven animators. May your lack of caring and activity, and just getting back to me when I PM you, be a black mark in your careers forever.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
BluDude
Rsteenoven
Filip
MindGame
CrazyGamester
Crazyanimator

I am especially disappointed by the seven animators who first promised that they would commit themselves to the project (and they did work on it, in the beginning), and then just completely ignored my emails, PMs etcetera and never got back to me ever. I can understand if someone is unable to finish his part because of school, work, busy personal life or whatever, but they could at least have let me known. Just letting me sit here with the project and never even saying "hey, I can't do it" or "hey, I'm working on it" is just rude in my opinion. (Now, not everyone on the list did it like that, I shall admit that. MindGame did get back with me a couple of times, as did Rsteenoven. Filip thought he might had to quit, but never told me if he did. Crazyanimator, CrazyGamester and BluDude fell off the face of the Earth. Lord_Of_The_LEGO... meh. Very meh. I know I haven't been the best of directors, and could probably have handled this better at points, but it's not a one way street. If it were, this wouldn't be a community project.

During the next couple of weeks, I shall be deciding what to do next. My two main options are recruiting new animators, or just cancelling the project. And at this point, I'm really close to doing the latter.

- BertL

PS Welcome, new spiffy BiM!

Last edited by BertL (November 15, 2009 (04:02am))

Re: Late for Work is BACK IN BUSINESS I think

Jeremy (Crazyanimator): I've begun to stop brickfilming anyway

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/COTB/FunkyJunk/RUMBLE/1.jpg

That's not a withdrawal.

I would have joined! mini/rolleyes

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

How about you give a strict deadline for animations to have at least one shot done? And work you way from there. Its a good community project with a lot of potential ( btw, I havn't seen a CP in a long time... ) and you should not give up on it.

-Daragh

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

I'm terribly sorry about my lack of participation, Bert. I thought I could be able to take on a role in this project, but alas, I apparently couldn't. Granted, I was still a little unsure of what exactly my scene should look like, or if I still had to communicate with LOTL about our scenes corresponding to one another, but either way, I still take full responsibility for my failure to complete my scene.

My sincerest apologies to you and the rest of the LFW team.

Well, I would like to animate bert but I'm already in a CP

although I don't hear much from our organizer so I'm not sure I'm gonna stay there mini/rolleyes

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

I could probably give you a hand...

But this is now obligation I commit to right now(but if you want me on the team I'll consider it mini/wink).

-Antifaan

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Antifaan/KISS/kiss_banner_2.jpg

Yeah, I was in PTS but i tore down my set due to the lack of nobody doing anything. mini/sad

New films-
The New Neighbor
Solanum
Casting Call for Solanum started!

Hey, I'd like to help, Bert, but I'm currently conducting a CP of my own at the moment.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

My animation schedule is clogged right now (Montage due in 3 days, Speedman needs scripting/purchasing/ mike and ike, pen pals...) but I'd be happy to join the force to help.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

I'd be glad to help with the animation. I've been building mostly grey sets for my current project and it gets pretty boring.

I register a a potential replacement for other animators.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

I have a proposal. I'm not at all in the know on Late for Work, but I understand that it basically portrays a man being late for work and running to get there, and running through various environments animated by different people. What if you asked everyone to film a shot of one person running through the set of their current film they're working on anyway?

That is a fantastic idea.

If I'm not mistaken, I told you that I couldn't do it.

EDIT: I wrote this in the LFW forum:

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:46 pm
I'm not sure, but I think I will have to quit.
I will tell you if I do mini/sad

I thought I told you I was gonna quit, looks like I didn't. I'm sorry.

Last edited by Filip (December 29, 2008 (03:36am))

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

I think you need to starting over again with new animators and stuffl.
oh... and LOTL can't brickfilm anymore because he's on the university.
I like to help, but my animation is crap and so is my lightning, but composing is something i'm doing well (read my red alert scores page if you want to hear that).

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Night Owl wrote:

I have a proposal. I'm not at all in the know on Late for Work, but I understand that it basically portrays a man being late for work and running to get there, and running through various environments animated by different people. What if you asked everyone to film a shot of one person running through the set of their current film they're working on anyway?

Wonderful idea.

I'd love to join in, but everyone else in this project is so awesomely amazing, I think that I'd let it down. Consider me as backup.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

Consider me as backup.

And my axe.

-Daragh

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

Night Owl wrote:

That's pure genius.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.