Topic: The Big Plunge

Directory Link

The Big Plunge

YouTube

A little brick comes upon a big life decision.

Last edited by Repelling Spider (July 5, 2012 (03:47pm))

Re: The Big Plunge

Good work! Though, honestly I wasn't too attracted to the video but I still liked it!

Well, the animation was smooth and the music fit as always. However, at the end it is fairly easy to tell the brick is not really falling. Or was that the intended purpose? I'm not sure, but it was nice, anyhow.

sigelrelster
Scripting: 100% Animation: 3% Post-Production: 0%

I like it.
But the reason I have a second channel is so I can post Brickfilms that I just did because I just felt like animating and show only my best animations on my main channel. mini/wink
But it's good, I likey! mini/smile

@elrelster - The reason why it didn't look like it was falling was because it wasn't falling. It was simply climbing on the underside of the table. Sort of like a bug might go from being on the top of the table to crawling onto the underside.

@animationIsaac - Thanks! I've never really wanted to be running 2 separate channels for animating. I understand why some people do it, but it doesn't suit me. My channel isn't supposed to be a portfolio of my work, its simply where I post my animations when I make them. After some videos have been up for awhile that are smaller or simply tests, I make them unlisted so you can't just see them on my channel. But I'll have those videos in my playlists if people still want to watch them. Just within the last few days I went through and made a lot of my short tests and stuff unlisted.

I know this isn't what you all are used to seeing from me but I don't want to continually churn out the same type of material all of the time. Learning and getting better is about experimenting and trying out new ideas and techniques. This is one of those experiments. mini/smile I just hope people aren't rating this lower simply because they were expecting something more like I usually do.

Repelling Spider wrote:

...I just hope people aren't rating this lower simply because they were expecting something more like I usually do.

That may be one reason, but I think there are others as well.

A prop was bumped in two or three of the clips, and that probably hurt. A simple re-shoot would have fixed it, so I'm surprised that you let them through. I think that your last video (Gary and Julie 2) left sorta a bad taste in people's mouths, (Mine included) which could have been washed away by a new video on the same fantastic level that most of yours are usually at. But instead we get this, and released as a full video. This isn't bad, but frankly better suited for the WIP/Tests forum.

On to the video itself, there is the aforementioned prob bumping, and then the final angle seems kinda awkward.
Not sure what it is that's wrong, it just doesn't look quite right. Also, why would the brick have hesitated to slide over the edge if he wouldn't have fallen? If he was truly scared, then he should have peeked over the edge and backed up several more times to show the reluctance to go over. The animation itself was ok, but the brick didn't accelerate/decelerate much. He was going full speed and then slowed down in only a frame or two before coming to a complete halt.

Overall, not bad, but this (Rating-wise) would've been better off in the WIP/Tests forum. Treating like a test would have helped people ignore the flaws and then offer advice on how to fix them. As a release, it's just not near up to your normal quality, and unfortunately that what's it's being judged up against.

Nice. 3/5 it was a great Jump. Good movement. mini/bigsmile

@Pritchard - While I do agree with you on a couple of points there, I disagree some too. First and foremost would be how you think the brick felt about what was occurring. You said, "why would the brick have hesitated to slide over the edge if he wouldn't have fallen?". First off, what if he did think he might fall because he wasn't strong enough to complete such a feat. Or perhaps he was a little hesitant about what he would discover on the other side. It's sort of like a lot of moments in life where you are put up against an obstacle. Sometimes you know you can overcome it, but you may be hesitant or scared to do it because you don't know what is on the other side.

Also as far as the acceleration/deceleration goes... that seems like something that would go more into style. I'm sure someone might prefer to animate a brick with more of what you are saying (perhaps you prefer to do it that way). So sure, you could say you disliked the way it was done but to say it wasn't good animating might be a stretch. (after all, who is to say how a brick's movement should look?)

Sure, the film isn't perfect and isn't as good as some of my previous work. I guess it all comes down to opinion and taste. I made a film that I enjoyed making and decided to share it. Not without some hesitation though. Before releasing it, I was thinking ahead of time that some people wouldn't like it. Now that I think about it, this directly relates to the film's plot. I was somewhat like that brick on the edge of a decision. I knew I could do it quite easily, but I was a little reluctant (or even fearful) about what was on the other side of the release.

Well that's cool, I like this film a little bit more now just because I've developed a new connection to it. Interesting how film can do that, huh? Thanks for posting your comment and critique, Pritchard. Sure, I didn't like some of it, but overall it was beneficial and even helped me to think about the plot a bit more. Nothing personal of course. mini/smile This is one of the forum's purposes. Thanks!

Pritchard Studios wrote:
Repelling Spider wrote:

...I just hope people aren't rating this lower simply because they were expecting something more like I usually do.

That may be one reason, but I think there are others as well.

A prop was bumped in two or three of the clips, and that probably hurt. A simple re-shoot would have fixed it, so I'm surprised that you let them through. I think that your last video (Gary and Julie 2) left sorta a bad taste in people's mouths, (Mine included) which could have been washed away by a new video on the same fantastic level that most of yours are usually at. But instead we get this, and released as a full video. This isn't bad, but frankly better suited for the WIP/Tests forum.

On to the video itself, there is the aforementioned prob bumping, and then the final angle seems kinda awkward.
Not sure what it is that's wrong, it just doesn't look quite right. Also, why would the brick have hesitated to slide over the edge if he wouldn't have fallen? If he was truly scared, then he should have peeked over the edge and backed up several more times to show the reluctance to go over. The animation itself was ok, but the brick didn't accelerate/decelerate much. He was going full speed and then slowed down in only a frame or two before coming to a complete halt.

Overall, not bad, but this (Rating-wise) would've been better off in the WIP/Tests forum. Treating like a test would have helped people ignore the flaws and then offer advice on how to fix them. As a release, it's just not near up to your normal quality, and unfortunately that what's it's being judged up against.

For how short the video is, it's not a Test or a clip from an upcoming film, so it doesn't belong to that Section. It's a short.

From your post, it also looks like you say a few bumps are enough to give it a low rating, at least that's how I interpreted that part. Of course it's better to have none, and a simple reshoot could have fixed the problem...but it's just  a bump, small, you might even not see it, and it shouldn't detract you from enjoying the film.

I'm not sure a movie should be compared with previous works by the same director, if they're completely different genres. This it's completely different from his other films, it's new material to work with, and it's nicely done. I, however, think you could (and possibly should) have explored more possibilities to make a more interesting work.
Judging for what it is, though, and not for what it could have been or what it isn't, it's a simple, enjoyable film, and well done.
3/5 is a fair rating for that.

I agree with you, I could have explored more possibilities, and I probably will. There are tons of things that can be done with bricks that I would like to try. Thanks for your comments and honest review of it!