Topic: Composing Music?

Hi all, Here's my problem! As some of you may have known about I was making a musical, I gave up on it but now I'm restarting it *Yay*. Now my question. How do you compose music. At first I was just making "parody" songs for my film but now I want to make my own music. I can learn myself how to make the music online, but how do I actually tell my singers HOW to sing it. How do I have them understand what tune to sing it to if oyu know what I mean. Please respond if you know how to do this or have composed in the past.

Thanks!

~Hal

Re: Composing Music?

So you can compose the music just fine, right?
To show them how to sing it, just record yourself singing it and send that along with the music track to the Voice Actors.
It may very well destroy their eardrums, but other than that it should work just fine.

Well do you mean writing "songs" with lyrics? or vocals used as instruments in a film score?

Olsonstudios wrote:

Well do you mean writing "songs" with lyrics? or vocals used as instruments in a film score?

Writing songs with lyrics.

~Hal

Are you going to use it in your film? It's pretty rare that you need to make a full on lyrical song to put in a film.

Well, this is for the film. It is a very tough and long process for me.

~Hal

iffffffffffff you know how to read sheet music maybe write out a "fake book" thing (I think that's what you call it when you only write out the melody line) or if they can't read sheet music sequence it as a midi file or whatevs

Look at piano/guitar/vocal books for songs on amazon.  Look at a Nightmare Before Christmas and look at the sheet music: there is the music and a separate line of single notes and that's the tones the singer would...sing.  Some people wouldn't know how to use that, but if they are good singers they most likely will.

Otherwise just sing it to em, even if it's not very good, it could get the point across.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll just *Gulp* Sing it. Buh. BUH. BUUUUHHHHHHH!

~Hal