Topic: Kensington (TwickABros)

This is TwickABros' film Kensington that I wrote the score for. We pretty much co-produced the film (I gave him general assistance and ended up contributing a bit to the pre- and post-production,) but since he doesn't frequent BIM, he gave me the go-ahead to post it here after I requested so. I guess the main reason to watch for this audience is for my score in addition to the film itself, since most people on here probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. Here are the links he provided:

YouTube
Quicktime
RMVB
Windows Media

The Brickfilms thread: http://brickfilms.com/community/viewtop … mp;t=23696

The score took me about a year to write in total, counting down time in between, from late 2007 to mid-2008. There are officially five songs that I wrote, plus a movement of Bach that I also included in the dinner scene. However, I was only able to compile the footage with the music recently, and that is why it is just now being released. So enjoy the film, but I would greatly appreciate any comments/criticisms on my score as well!

Last edited by Schlockading (March 28, 2009 (06:35pm))

[Schlockading Productions] [Point of No ReturnFlight 901Flight 901.5The Brick Zone]

Re: Kensington (TwickABros)

That was awesome. Truly awesome.

I never expected the ending.
I think this is a great story to how peter pan came to neverland.
Magnificent. mini/smile

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Hmm...despite having made the opening shot and designed the fairy effect for Twick back in the day, I never put the pieces together to figure out the kid's identity.

This is a impressive undertaking, the score was definitely one of the highlights for me.  It has a warm, full sound consistently; if I had to critique it I would say that I wished it had a more consistent musical motif of some kind; I couldn't find any recurring melody that was used throughout the film.  Obviously you'd need several themes in a feature-length film, but for something this short I wonder if it might be more cohesive to use one or two primary motifs throughout.

I thought the sound design worked well, too, though it is mostly fairly subtle.  The vocal levels could have been more consistent.

The animation was good, I thought the solutions for the main character's short legs worked pretty well for the most part.  The color palette was also effective, the uses of muted earth-tone colors was consistent and helped sell the contrast at the end.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I was wondering where TwickABros got to...I'l watch it tomarrow..

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

I thought it was quite amazing, myself.  As has been said, Schlock's score is superb, and sounds like something you'd hear from Hollywood.  The thing is that I felt it was a bit too ongoing, and it could have done with a bit more of silence, as opposed to stopping briefly then relaunching into another part of the score.  The film itself, though, was pretty darn good.  The only thing that put me off were the inconsistently volumed voices and the framing of the character's head in certain shots, where the head was at the bottom.  Besides that, though, it was awesome.

This film's tone and story is so touching to me since Peter lost his family, had a brother he never got to meet and got replaced by him, fled humanity and passed into neverland, and became the fun-loving boy who will never grow up; he got what he wanted. Traditional Brickfilms was a great narrator in this film rather than Professor Voet in Darkman's The Quest for the Blood Diamond trilogy, and one thing in the first of the trilogy he was credited as Joe Hanson if that's his name or not if Darkman made a mistake.

Sméagol wrote:

I couldn't find any recurring melody that was used throughout the film.  Obviously you'd need several themes in a feature-length film, but for something this short I wonder if it might be more cohesive to use one or two primary motifs throughout.

Actually, I did incorporate a main motif throughout each of the five songs (maybe not so much in the very end one, but I know for sure in all the other ones). It's pretty hard to hear in the film itself though, a lot of times I had to turn down some of the important parts to keep from covering up the dialogue. If you listen carefully though, the first melody you hear in the main theme at the beginning (the main string melody you hear after the fanfare) is in each of the other songs in some form. The other secondary motifs are the one featured with the horn at the beginning of the flight to Neverland scene, which you can also pick out at one point in the rainy bedroom scene and in the slow section of the second movement, and then the string melody right before the end credits which I stuck in some of the other pieces. It's probably just that it's not all apparent in the finished form, but if you go here you can listen to the original tracks and maybe hear some of the orchestration a little better. Sorry for the lengthy description, but I'm glad you're interested.

ManVan wrote:

I felt it was a bit too ongoing[...]

I thought the same thing at times; I agree it could have done without some of it, or maybe thinner orchestration in some parts, like at the beginning of the second scene before the dad walks in for example. In a feature-length film there would be a lot more silence I'm sure.

Last edited by Schlockading (March 28, 2009 (09:30pm))

[Schlockading Productions] [Point of No ReturnFlight 901Flight 901.5The Brick Zone]

The first six minutes were incredibly well-done, but are unfortunately muddled down by a very mediocre ending. The majority of the film exhibited great storytelling and character development (as well as some fine voice acting), if only such care were given to the final act rather than having it narrated to me. It almost felt like a cop-out, like they ran out of time, resources, or motivation to tell the rest of the story and threw together a small montage of events in Peter's later life. The fact that upon Peter's return, his parents have forgotten him could have been an excellent moment of drama, but instead is only touched upon briefly. The ending is really the only major detrimental part of the film, which holds it back from being a truly excellent brickfilm.

Like I said earlier, much of the voice acting is quite good, especially Impey as Peter (I do wonder where Impey went, he showed a lot of great potential as a brickfilmer). The animation was pretty good for the most part, as was the lighting. The set design was great, the cinematography was about average (I didn't care for how the characters were framed during dialogue sequences). I didn't notice the shift in colors until Smeagol pointed them out, but now that he has, I definitely see what he means, and it's a nice little touch. The chroma keying effects were rather shaky, probably the biggest technical problem with the film. I agree with Smeagol about the sound design, it was effective and worked well with the film while being subtle. The vocal levels were the only inconsistent thing with it. The score was also quite good, helping to add an emotional highlight to each scene.

Overall, I'd say TwickABros did a good job with this material for the most part. The storytelling and development is done better than many other brickfilms recently, but the only thing keeping this from being a really great film is the ending.

The ending seemed abrupt.  Everything seemed to run smoothly at the beginning, but then Peter starts to fly and we rapidly go into a summary of his adventures in Neverland.

The score was enjoyable, although there needs to be some balance between music and voice.  At times, the music was too loud or the voices too soft.

Overall, I enjoyed it up until the end.

FYI, I did the rain and lighting effects.  I tried to do the keying, but the greenscreen was too difficult for me to key out.  Well done to whoever did manage to key out the greenscreen.  I imagined you had to go through quite a combo to get the keying right.

Last edited by Lechnology (March 28, 2009 (10:37pm))

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

I know what you mean, Lech. Having to work around the wide range of voice and sound effect levels without totally ruining the flow of the music was tricky.

I pretty much agree with what MindGame has said; it was great until the ending. Still, I was pretty impressed. I thought the score was one of the best I've heard in a brickfilm, but the sound mixing was way off, and I thought there were some moments where silence would have worked.

The lighting was quite impressive (despite some underexposed shots), but the framing consistently felt awkward, which was a major drawback for me.

I agree with Lech. For two straight years of work, and an even longer peorid of hyping, I thought the ending was way too quick.

Good:
-EXELLENT score. Schlock, if I ever make an 'Epic', I want you to do the music for it! It captured to whole feeling of the movie perfectly, and without it, I feel the movie would have been mediocre.
-Good sets. Although its pointless to praise and critise the movie here, I'm not creating an account on BF just to reveiw this movie (also, me and Twick have a little history)
-Nice rain effects Lech.
-Nice Tinkerbell effect Smeagol, and I love the opening shot.

Bad:
-Though the greenscreen worked out pretty well (I think Twick ended up doing it himself) for some of the time it was not needed. The shot of Peter on the tree could have used a backdrop to the same effect, and the street corner could have just featured more set. I suppose this is just because I'm not really a fan of CG unless there is no other way of doing it. I'm sure real set would have looked much better.
-The Ending. As Mindgame said, the movie is horribly paced. A script is like a poem, its got to keep consistent and sounding good. After two years of work, I would have expected scripting to be top notch and to perfection.

WTF:
-The flying. WHAT THE HELL? Why did Peter suddenly jump out of the window and fly? Did he just think "Bad ending AWAY!" and knew he was going to fly? I thought you needed Pixie dust or some other magical power, yet Peter seemed to have neither. Its like Twick just cut out the part where Peter learnt how to fly, and just decided to show him flying. And the scene was too dark to see Peter flying anyway.
-Why did Peter suddenly decide to run away? I didnt even know he had run away untill he returned, and the movie didnt show how long he had run away for. Surely he must have grown full size legs by the time his family managed to get a daughter and forget all about Peter? Though the thought of going to school makes me want to run away, I think it was way to quick.
-WHERE THE HELL DID THE FAIRY COME FROM? Half the movie is missing here. Whilst the other characters are developed exellently, Tinkerbell comes right out of no-where and the voice over acts like she's been in the whole movie. No wonder the editing took so long - half the movie appears to have been cut. I cant beleive that whilst scripting, such errors could have been made.

Overall: 3/5. Whilst containing the best beggining to a Brickfilm ever, be prepared to be dissapointed by such a poor, corner cutting ending.

Moral: Dont ever hype a Brickfilm. EVER.

-MRB

Last edited by Max Butcher (March 29, 2009 (03:06am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

I forgot I voice acted in this.

I think that the animation on a whole was good, and I especially liked some of the lighting in the film, especially when hes in his room and its raining. However it was sometimes difficult to hear the voices as they were too quiet and the soundtrack took it over. I agree with everyone when they say that it ended too fast, it seemed in the last 2 mins everything stepped into hyperspeed.

Overall I think you accomplished something pretty cool.

The Voice acting could have been improved, the sudden narration was a little jarring and the ending could have been improved, otherwise I thought it was great.

Max Butcher wrote:

I'm not creating an account on BF just to reveiw this movie

You already have an account.

_2014

I really liked it. The ending was a bit abrupt, but I like the way he left it open so the viewer can judge what happens next. Animation was excellent and the score was superb. I just loved it! mini/bigsmile

-Brain Wave

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

My biggest complaint was that the voices were a little quiet in comparison to the music playing over them. The flying scenes needed a little more work, but I still thoroughly enjoyed this film. The animation, lighting, and sets were all very well done. Good job!

Thanks for all the comments, both on the film and the score. I notice a lot of you are talking about the sound levels, and actually I was the one that incorporated the score into the preexisting sounds and voices, but Twick did the voices themselves. The thing was that the voice levels were already messed up quite a bit when I received the rough cut version, and some were extremely quiet while others were really loud. I actually had the music playing at a slightly more "normal" level the first time, but then Twick asked me to redo it, so I may have inadvertently caused some more "inequality" among the sound levels because of this. I tried normalizing some of the voice levels but my software could only do so much because they were already incorporated into the movie file itself, along with putting the score on top of it. But that is the story behind that if you were wondering.

A lot of the framing didn't make sense, there was way too much head room in most of the shots. The score was probably the best thing about the film even though it seemed overused and put before some of the pivotal voices making them inaudible. Your sets were great though.
On one hand it looks like a lot of effort went into this but then I find it strange that you didn't take the time out to get the voices re-recorded if you were having such trouble with the levels.
In general I also find the whole Peter Pan concept banal and lets face it, ridiculous: a kid with mummy and daddy issues who didn't want to accept responsibility so instead he started taking drugs. I don't see how that's a good moral story for children.