Topic: Build-a-Base

Directory Link

Build-a-Base

YouTube

This is my entry for the ReBrick LEGO Movie Competition. I could use your help to get my video into the judging stage. Only the top 25 most liked videos on ReBrick will be judged. If you could take a moment and visit the following link, create a ReBrick account, and "like" my entry "Build-a-Base" on their website. Thank you! mini/smile

http://rebrick.lego.com/en-US/bookmark/ … ry-/uf7paq

Last edited by Repelling Spider (April 18, 2013 (03:02pm))

Re: Build-a-Base

Done.
Very clean looking, perfect animation, and great music choice!

Sorry; I'm not too keen on "voting for videos for contests". In my opinion, the satisfaction of people saying the video is good is enough without it having to win something. But, great video anyways, Spider.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Oh, that music brings back memories..... mini/eh
Anyway, my vote won't help you much, as I voted for just about all of the entries that I've seen so far.

On to the review, while being a good solid animation, it doesn't have anything that's really unique or that stands-out to me. It's got a slower pacing than most, and therefore seems to be less action-y. And while there's no problem with that as an animation, as a contest entry that may hurt. It also seems more like the characters are saying "Hey, you wanna play break-down?" "Sure, but only if we can re-build this as something else." as opposed to "Quick, we have to re-build this garbage truck into something with weapons to combat the coming apocalypse!"

But enough with the bad stuff, that's really nothing more than nit-picks. You did a great job on the detailed building clip, and I liked the ending shot a lot. Your animation is top-notch as always, and the set is nice and large, as well as detailed. I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks everyone! mini/smile

@Mickey - I'm not either, but at least it's not a contest that is totally dependent on community votes. The top 25 most liked videos will be the ones that enter the judging round. I'd prefer this type of contest from LEGO than no contest though. mini/smile

@Pritchard - Thanks for all the great feedback! mini/smile I can completely agree with pretty much all your comments. I really didn't like that it wasn't as fast paced or action-oriented than some of the other entries. Also, the creation isn't the most memorable either. Thankfully this video served a good purpose in a decent entry and also testing and getting me back into animating. I'm currently working on a second entry that is almost halfway done and is much more action oriented and a much better MOC. Thanks again!

I really liked the animation, it was very smooth.  The music was very nice as well.  But the film could have been a bit more fast-paced, and I had no idea what the thing that the garbage truck was built into was supposed to be--some sort of recycling plant/stand?  Still, I really liked it.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

What's wrong with the music?  I actually quite like it.  This piece always played on an old computer game that I used to love playing way back in the day, so for me it brings back lots of great nostalgic memories. mini/wink

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Nice job! I wasn't really sure what the point of it was but it was well carried out.

The music reminds me of the "Happy Easter Charlie Brown" TV special.

~Hal

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Pritchard Studios wrote:

What's wrong with the music?  I actually quite like it.  This piece always played on an old computer game that I used to love playing way back in the day, so for me it brings back lots of great nostalgic memories. mini/wink

No, There's nothing wrong with it at all. That's just the music I used in the very first film that I posted here on BiM.
Over a year and a half ago now that I think about it...And yes, it's a fond memory. mini/wink
Sorry for the confusion.

This is really good.  I love the animation. mini/smile

This entry, along with Bionicle's and Brotherhood's is why I'm not even going to try to win this thing.

That was really fun! I like the look of the base at the end of the video. Alternate models are always awesome.

I can't really add anything constructive that hasn't already been said.

However there is one thing I will say. I haven't voted for any of the entries yet, as the website keeps crashing whenever I visit it. I'll have to try and figure out what is wrong before the voting ends. mini/sad

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Thanks, Squid and Walter! Glad you guys like it. I wasn't super impressed with it in comparison to Brotherhood's and Bionicle's entries, but I'm about to finish up a second entry that I think is much better. Should be coming pretty soon.