Re: THAC 11 is on the way!

Nasrsarian wrote:

Sucks eh?
I'm not sure what I should do, I'd like to work from like 2:30am till like 7am (it's a nice peaceful time to work when everyones sleeping rather than from 11-2) but I want to be awake for the beginning. And I don't think I have an alarm clock -.- Maybe if I sleep in too much I won't have to go to Church in the morning, so I can get some shiz done. It's hard being in Australia, good to know that I'm not alone in the disadvantage though.

Positives of being an atheist.

Anyhow, I'd be awake for the official opening of THAC (for all the info), then sleep during the early hours of the morning and finally animate/edit with large doses of caffeine throughout the day. Just tell god/your parents that you have to animate so toughtitties.

Also, buy a $5 alarm clock from Big W or Kmart or something.

Last edited by Carousel (December 6, 2013 (09:20pm))

I can see both sides of the issue. My personal stance is that assembling sets, props and characters is part and parcel of the 24 hour challenge and that pre-building gives an unfair advantage. That said, thus far I've attempted to enter THAC four times and never once made it in. I can't deny that much of my time is taken up with building and freely admit that my ideas (refined as I build) tend to get too big really quickly. Not to mention I'm getting old I don't have the capacity to push myself 'round the clock like I used to.

If you are a pre-builder, then we expect that your movie SHOULD have better animation, effects, what-have-you. If you build on the day, we would expect your movie with be a little rough around the edges which is also okay. There are two big problems, then, as I see it. The first is that all movies are presented for judging without knowing who took what road to achieve what we're seeing. If the animation is lousy, is it because much of the time was spent building or because the animator was lazy and thought they could rely on the production value of quality pre-built sets to carry them over the finish line? The second problem is that if someone truly works from the ground up and builds sets, animates, makes custom sound effects and music and the result is fantastic - it doesn't really look like that much of an achievement next to the others, does it?

Personally I have no problem with grabbing sound effects and music from elsewhere - not everyone has the facilities to create a wide variety of sounds or musical talent (I know I don't). But everyone here has at least SOME animation skill and a supply of LEGO - a BUILDING toy - with which to create a BRICKfilm. Building should be an integral part of the challenge. It's what we do.

In the end, participation is what's really important. If you're like me and strike out year after year then you might just stop trying and that's no good either. And, if you're young, building AND animating AND post AND audio might be too much to handle in 24 hours (or 16 hours if your parents send you to bed halfway through). Our community isn't big enough to be picky or exclusionary so I say we just keep going the way we're going and take any movies we can get from anyone who will make them. Just don't expect us to clap really hard when you win if we suspect it's unlikely you built that huge mountain fortress in four hours.

Totaly gonna enter! Can't wait!!!
mini/bigsmile

Church in the morning

Saturday night church.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

For me, I'd much rather use pre-build sets and get a final result that stands up with my other films, rather than throw something together simply 'in the spirit of THAC' and have its production values be pathetic. Writing, animating and editing are hard enough in that time, and I take a while to build sets anyway, so it's pre-build all the way for me.

In that same vein, how many of you go into it with one or more basic ideas of what to do, and then flesh one of them out once the theme is known? It probably strays even closer to 'cheating'  than set-building, but it also speeds things into a better production phase. (I think Nick Durron does this each year....And then places super-high.) Are ya'll of the same opinion regarding that?

I get that the point is 24 hours, but I'm too much of a perfectionist (And anti-procrastinator) to leave things to the last second and risk a terrible outcome.

I kinda like it when others pre-build because I'd like to watch a slightly more polished film from other people.

Going into plot ideas is a very dangerous thing.  One might try to develop something, but then the theme could be something different.

For instance, if Bank were made for THAC X, how ever would I have stuck a grand unveiling into the story?  It feels usually oddly specific and yet simultaneously vague.

Though, one might be able to force it into a film, but that could feel very awkward.

Though, I can't help trying to think of random ideas before thac of what it might be and what it can't be.  My imagination really runs wild.  And I unintentionally think up a dozen possible stories and such before BRAWL, none of which I actually ever use.
mini/tongue
I've always guessed that Nick just thinks up a new chapter to abduction and tried to fit in the theme.

The only thing I'd really consider blatantly going against the spirit of THAC would be taking a script you've already written, then jamming the theme into it.
Even if I already happened to have a script that fit with THAC perfectly, I'd right a new one.

Anyway, everyone knows that real THACers start mining the oil to make their LEGO the moment the contest starts.

mini/lol

I don't now really, when people say it goes against the spirit of thac, it kinda feels like being called a cheater or lazy, when I just want to make a good film.
But I can see how it must be annoying to have people pre-build if you want to be hardcore, and you may have built this amazing set, but people might not believe you if you said it wasn't pre-build because it seems too incredible.

I do think it's really cool to be hardcore, I like it when people are hardcore, and I respect them for that.  I just want people not hardcore to be accepted, because that's cool, too.

Last edited by Squid (December 7, 2013 (06:08am))

Totally entering! Had a lot of fun doing it last year!

Squid wrote:

You can't really make it entirely from scratch.  You're using sound effects made before, using music made before often times, using some figures made before often times.

We all know to create anything from scratch one must first invent the universe. My THAC film last year everything was made in the 24 hour period. Even the music was written in the 24 hour period. I feel like this best embodies the spirit of the contest but that is just my opinion.

haha sorry I cannot participate in this because I will be at a convention painting myself grey and drinking faygo ^_^

Whenever someone says from scratch there are always an infininite number of abstractions that can go along with that statement so just brush that off as a silly thing that doesn't really mean anything and just do what you are comfortable with doing as a challange,

topitmunkeydog wrote:

haha sorry I cannot participate in this because I will be at a convention painting myself grey and drinking faygo ^_^

Build some red and orange horns out of bricks to celebrate THAC while you're there.

Squid wrote:
topitmunkeydog wrote:

Build some red and orange horns out of bricks to celebrate THAC while you're there.

THE COLOR MOD HAS BEEN ANOUNCED EARLY!

Lets do this thing...

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

I try not to use pre-built sets; in my honest opinion, I think it makes much more sense to base your sets on the storyline of the film. Here's how I do it:

-Theme is announced
-I brainstorm ideas
-I write a script
-I build a set that fits the storyline
-I get like 43rd or 44th place out of like 48 entries in the results mini/lol

But, I won't bash any of you guys' methods. If you pre-build your sets so as to fit in with your schedule, that's perfectly fine with me. I'm just sharing my method.

Carry on, you guys.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I'll try to enter, although I'll probably place pretty low.

Mickey wrote:

If you pre-build your sets so as to fit in with your schedule, that's perfectly fine with me.

Well, even if building sets prior to THAC wasn't fine with you, the person could still do it not according to you, just saying!

The arguments against pre-building are pretty convincing. I guess my main conceit in considering it is that I haven't entered the main contest in so long that I tend to care more about making a quality film than how I stack up against the other entrants. I can see how it would be a problem from the judging end of things.

I think I'll abstain from pre-building and make my goal for this year to finish an actual entry for once, haha.

To be honest it's not as hard as it's made out to be (concerning prebuilt sets). Sure, you can build better sets going into it, but it means you have a more limited list of sets to make your film around. And set building is only one factor, the story, animation, voice acting, sound, editing, post in general, all have to stem from the theme on the day.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Okay, I changed my mind, I'm entering.

I have this really, really, really strong urge to do it right now.  It's really weird.  I need to.
I'm going to either finish my Batman scene before Christmas or just leave it and finish it later if I can't in time.  I probably won't be able to voice act as much now, but I just feel it like crazy.  All of those intense memories are coming back.  THAC X was the most exciting day of my life.  I would like another day like that, even if I'm going to regret thing at 2 AM on the 29th, I'm totally doing it.

I figured out that if I take out all of the lines I didn't use from The Lost Invention then it's only four pages long, so I have a good idea of how much script I should or shouldn't use this time.  And I shouldn't have to record as many unneeded lines.  Also, I won't be using difficult to pronounce names this time.  That caused a whole lot of trouble last year.

I'M SO EXCITED!

very pumoped to the ex treme. i keep getting ideas n i have to tell myself 2 calm down. pumpoed

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I may just do it this year! Ahh, who am I kidding?

Squid wrote:

I might actually join the call this year.  I know Jon has been wanting me to do so.

Yes please do ily

Join us so you can hear me have another mental breakdown at 2AM

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

jstudios wrote:
Squid wrote:

I might actually join the call this year.  I know Jon has been wanting me to do so.

Yes please do ily

Join us so you can hear me have another mental breakdown at 2AM

I'll probably be on the call whenever I can get a break and not recording.  I should have Wilson animating sometimes to get a few brakes.  And this year he won't be going to a wedding during a large part of the day.  Though, since last THAC he's only animated one shot...  I should probably have him do some test animations.

So do you guys usually stay on the call even while you animate?

Squid wrote:

I should have Wilson animating sometimes to get a few brakes.  And this year he won't be going to a wedding during a large part of the day.  Though, since last THAC he's only animated one shot...  I should probably have him do some test animations.

So do you guys usually stay on the call even while you animate?

Make him animate the whole thing to atone for his mistakes. How DARE he have a wedding when there is THAC to worry about?! SOME PEOPLE.

ɪ'ᴍ ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴋɪᴅᴅɪɴɢ, ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢᴇᴛ ᴍᴀᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴍᴇ. ᴡɪʟsᴏɴ ɪs ғʀɪᴇɴᴅʙᴇᴀsᴛ.

I usually only stay on the call when I'm scripting, set building, or taking brief breaks. I don't want to get too distracted, and some of the stuff said on the call is enough to, eh... distract momentarily.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]