Re: THAC 11 is on the way!

Does anyone know of any settings I can use on my video export to make it go faster?
I'm trying to get it so that I can make a low-quality export so I can finish on time.  Just enough so that the film is not entirely unwatchable.  I've tried reducing the resolution of the film to 240p, but it still usually takes around 20 minutes to render (when trying my last THAC film).

There are a lot of weird settings, but I have no idea what most of them do.

Squid wrote:

Does anyone know of any settings I can use on my video export to make it go faster?
I'm trying to get it so that I can make a low-quality export so I can finish on time.  Just enough so that the film is not entirely unwatchable.  I've tried reducing the resolution of the film to 240p, but it still usually takes around 20 minutes to render (when trying my last THAC film).

Speaking of this, I have a question about the rules. Does the video have to be completely processed by the end of the contest? I'm planning on uploading this years video in 4K but that takes a lot longer to processes on YouTube. I'm wondering if I can send in the link to the YouTube video once it has been uploaded but it is still being processed?

Such good memories of this contest. I entered THAC9 and entered 12th. Maybe I'll enter this year mini/smile

AquaMorph wrote:

I have a question about the rules. Does the video have to be completely processed by the end of the contest? I'm planning on uploading this years video in 4K but that takes a lot longer to processes on YouTube. I'm wondering if I can send in the link to the YouTube video once it has been uploaded but it is still being processed?

Also, can we submit a video that is still uploading?  YouTube gives you a link as soon as you start.  I'm not sure if there is anyway to use this nefariously.  It also kinda levels the playing field for people who don't have as advanced uploading capabilities.

It shouldn't be a problem for me, though.  My quick export does take longer than I'd like for it to render, but the file uploads in only a minute or two, unlike my typical HD export which takes several hours.

I believe (but of course Hazzat should clarify this) that the final film has to be COMPLETELY UPLOADED and viewable (but unlisted) by the deadline.

I always give myself the last two hours of the contest to export, compress and upload. Any less of a buffer is too risky for me.

But there's no way to enforce that (unless he checks every film right when the email comes in and that would be difficult do do especially in the final hours when many are coming in)

End does have a good point.  There were 74 entries last year.  So one or two could still slip by if submitted before being fully uploaded if the case is that they are illegal.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I always give myself the last two hours of the contest to export, compress and upload. Any less of a buffer is too risky for me.

Last year I gave myself 3 hours I think.
Though, since I do have a faster upload preset this time, I'm only planning on a one hour window.  But I just got my render time to about 14 minutes, so that still gives me over half an hour of extra time.  It still is really risky, but I really want to spend as much time as I can editing with my slow program.  And I don't want to waste any time I don't need to.

AquaMorph wrote:
Squid wrote:

Speaking of this, I have a question about the rules. Does the video have to be completely processed by the end of the contest? I'm planning on uploading this years video in 4K but that takes a lot longer to processes on YouTube. I'm wondering if I can send in the link to the YouTube video once it has been uploaded but it is still being processed?

Don't be that guy...

Just downscale it to 1080p and it'll look beautiful without having to be fully rendered out at 4K. Besides, who and the wide wide world is going to wait for a 4K video to load on YouTube? (people with ultra fast internet)

I film my videos at 5K and downscale to 1080p. It looks great even when played it 360p or 480p.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

CarrollFilms wrote:
AquaMorph wrote:
Squid wrote:

Don't be that guy...

Just downscale it to 1080p and it'll look beautiful without having to be fully rendered out at 4K. Besides, who and the wide wide world is going to wait for a 4K video to load on YouTube? (people with ultra fast internet)

I film my videos at 5K and downscale to 1080p. It looks great even when played it 360p or 480p.

2014 is the year for 4K video. We are already seeing computers with screens above 1080p. The switch to producing 4K videos is relatively easy for me and I would like to future proof my videos as much as possible.

Nathan Wells wrote:

I believe (but of course Hazzat should clarify this) that the final film has to be COMPLETELY UPLOADED and viewable (but unlisted) by the deadline.

Well that is shizzle. My internet shares a close relation to a cognitively disabled vegetable, so uploading will take a considerable amount of time. I think that as long as you have started uploading the finished video within the contest's boundaries, you shouldn't be penalised. Not everyone has internet capable of uploading 4K video.

At least my computer is apt in the rendering department.

AquaMorph wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:
AquaMorph wrote:

Don't be that guy...

2014 is the year for 4K video. We are already seeing computers with screens above 1080p. The switch to producing 4K videos is relatively easy for me and I would like to future proof my videos as much as possible.

Yea, screens running at around $3,500 mini/rolleyes

You literally can't tell the difference between original 4K and 1080p with downscaled 4K footage. Not only is it hard on your computer when rendering, it is hard for other peoples internet to even process that original footage if they have internet slower than 2Mbp/s.

I have the computer and internet connection needed to do it. I will take about an hour and a half to upload the video which I have time for in my schedule. As for 4K monitors being expensive right not that doesn't matter. 1080p monitors cost similar amounts when SD was the standard.

So, this is how my quick render make my next THAC film look: http://youtu.be/Qvo-xcVz288
It's pretty bad.  But it will serve its purpose of getting the film up in time until I can render and upload an HD version which will probably take several hours.

(I used The Lost Invention as a film to test export since will probably be a similar length to my next THAC film, however, I seem to have lost the final edit, and this is from a save without all of the audio files in place from around the middle of the editing process last THAC)

@Aquamorph:  Go for the 4k.  Do it.  For the future.

That....is absolutely DREADFUL quality.

Nathan Wells wrote:

That....is absolutely DREADFUL quality.

My computer really, really stinks.

AquaMorph wrote:

I have the computer and internet connection needed to do it. I will take about an hour and a half to upload the video which I have time for in my schedule. As for 4K monitors being expensive right not that doesn't matter. 1080p monitors cost similar amounts when SD was the standard.

4K sounds fun and experimental. Do it! mini/smile

Oh, and can't you have a film uploaded and viewable before it is fully processed to higher resolutions? Or is that just misconception I'm having?

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Walter Benson wrote:

can't you have a film uploaded and viewable before it is fully processed to higher resolutions? Or is that just misconception I'm having?

I'm pretty sure it is like that.

AquaMorph wrote:

But you need to think about other peoples internet. I have a beast of a computer that renders 4K videos in 15 minutes and can play Battlefield 4 on Max, but my internet is just dreadful. I have to wait minutes before I can play a 1 minute video that is at a native 4K resolution. Sure it'll work for you, but no one is going watch it in 4K on YouTube. Why? Because their internet won't be able to load the whole video in a few seconds like most people can with a video at 720p or 1080p.

Yay, it looks beautiful, but that's more of a waste more than it is a gain. You'll get a good quality video but when they play it at 720p because who and the heck is going to watch a brickfilm at 4K? But when they play that video at 720p there is going to be a lot of artifacts in the video and blurred pixels.

You're better off down scaling it

This might be true right now but the times they are a changin. It's not as if I am forcing people to watch my film at 4K. The option to watch it at a lesser resolution is still there. YouTube also compresses 4K videos less and this even on a 1080p screen it will look better.

Years from now when 4K becomes the standard it's not going to seem like such a bad idea. mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png