Topic: Christmas in a Minute 2013! [CLOSED]

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oCT1-uxl0dE/UqYV35ZVroI/AAAAAAAALo4/HNN03713YoQ/w1278-h320-no/2013+CHRISTMAS+Banner-01.jpg

Hello everyone and welcome to the Christmas in a Minute Brickfilming Competition for 2013! The idea is simple: make a 1 minute or less Christmas themed short film that can stand out and claim a victory. Watch the announcement video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBbXzpo … e=youtu.be

Last year we had over 30 entries, and this year I'm hoping we can go even further. Get in the Christmas spirit by joining in on the fun!

PRIZES:

1st - £25.00 Gift Certificate (Approx. $40.00) to FireStarToys.com
2nd - $10.00 Gift Certificate to LEGO.com (Donated by Mighty Wanderer)
3rd - $5.00 Gift Certificate to LEGO.com (Donated by Mighty Wanderer)

SPONSORS:

A big thanks to this year's sponsors...
FireStarToys.com!
Mighty Wanderer! Check out his YouTube Channel here: (http://www.youtube.com/user/MightyWanderer1)

RULES:

1.) Entries must have a Christmas theme. They do not have to be religious, so you can choose whether to go for a traditional approach or a secular one.

2.) Entries must be 1 minute or less, with a minimum length of 20 seconds. There is an additional 5 second grace window which can be used for credits or whatever is needed, however entries must not exceed a run time of 1:05. (1 minute and 5 seconds) There has been some trouble in past competitions with a video having an additional second or two added when uploaded to YouTube. This is completely fine, just keep entries in the allotted time window.

3.) All entries must be family friendly, i.e. no explicit material. (sexual references, offensive language, or bloody violence) If you think your video has any chances of being disqualified due to this, contact me to provide details and I’ll let you know ahead of time whether the content is acceptable.

4.) Entries must be new and not previously released. If you are already working on a Christmas video and decide it would work to enter it into this contest, that is fine.

5.) The Contest's Logo must be put in the credits or title section of your video (either the animated version or the still image provided below). This is to further help to makes sure videos are new and not released before the contest was started. For emphasis: Your entry MUST contain the Contest's Logo. To download the animated logo or the still image, visit the following links, choose which one you want, then click "File", "Download":
Animated - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3e0Rs … sp=sharing
Still - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3e0Rs … sp=sharing

6.) Copyrighted material is not permitted. You must have all of the appropriate rights to use any content that is featured in your entry. If something is in question, you may be asked to provide the license to the material and where you got it. Some great resources for royalty-free, creative commons music that can be used would be Incompetech.com and MachinimaSound.com. For sound effects, try FreeSound.Org, however be sure to look at the individual license for each sound you use.

7.) Only one entry per person will be accepted.

8.) Entries must be primarily stop-motion animation and use LEGO or some similar brick toy.

9.) No entries based off 3rd party themes (i.e. Star Wars, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings). You may use LEGO pieces and elements from these themes in your videos, just don't use the characters and places in your videos. Come up with something new and more creative!

Deadline for submitting entries will be Christmas Eve, Tuesday, December 24th at 11:59pm Eastern (NY).

JUDGING:

Judging will be conducted by a panel of three.
Judges will evaluate entries in the follow categories: Originality, Story, Animation, Audio, Set Design, and Incorporation of Theme.

SUBMISSION Details:

- Submissions will be accepted by sending a link to your film via e-mail or PM. My e-mail is [email protected].
- Once your submission has been received, I will contact you confirming that I have received your entry. If you have submitted an entry and do not receive a confirmation within a day, please post to this thread letting me know, as I will be monitoring this thread quite frequently. You may also comment on the video announcement for the contest to let me know.

ADDITIONAL Info:

I reserve the right to disqualify any entry if I deem it unacceptable. I also reserve the right to adjust and change rules, prizes, and anything else pertaining to the contest at my discretion. By submitting an entry, you agree to the rules for the competition and agree to not hold me liable for anything in any way.

Prizes will be distributed by the contest sponsors in the weeks following the end of the contest, so I will have no control over the actual distribution. More details on the receiving of prizes will be provided to the winners. If you are a winner that is under the age of 18, please seek permission from your parents before accepting prizes and before giving out information.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask them here, send me a PM, tweet me, or e-mail me at [email protected]. The quickest way to get in contact with me will be via this thread or by Twitter, as I will be monitoring both frequently. You can find me on twitter: @repellingspider

Good luck and may the best video win!

FAQ:

Question: Can I make a video that is more loosely Christmas themed? (i.e. snow fights, hot chocolate, mistletoe, etc)
Answer: Yes! These can be great areas to create a video from. Just remember that one of the judging criteria is Incorporation of Theme, so if you stray too far from the Christmas theme, you could lose some points.

Question: Can I use stuff besides LEGO?
Answer: Yes that is fine, so long as you use predominantly LEGO pieces, or have them as your main feature. (Think Brotherhood Workshop's Lord of the Rings videos)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xmn4tAYuSus/UqYV4eYhxeI/AAAAAAAALpA/tk-Hs8IRq2E/w1140-h641-no/2013+FINAL+Logo-01.jpg

Re: Christmas in a Minute 2013! [CLOSED]

I'm totes doing this.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I do have a question about the copyright thing, number six on your list.

Does that only apply to music, sound effects, etc., or does it also apply to everything like what LEGO theme we could use. 
For example (and it's totally not like I would do this or anything mini/shifty ) but if the video was about or had Tony Stark or Iron Man does that fall under copyrighted material?  Because of course he is copyrighted, but then again, so is the LEGO brick and the minifigures themselves. 
Thanks.

I'll try and enter.  Hope I have enough time.

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

A new rule has just been added! A couple of people asked about this so....

9.) No entries based off 3rd party themes (i.e. Star Wars, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, etc). You may use LEGO pieces and elements from these themes in your videos, just don't use the characters and places in your videos. Come up with something new and more creative!

Repelling Spider wrote:

A new rule has just been added! A couple of people asked about this so....

9.) No entries based off 3rd party themes (i.e. Star Wars, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, etc). You may use LEGO pieces and elements from these themes in your videos, just don't use the characters and places in your videos. Come up with something new and more creative!

Thank you!!!!

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

I have an idea scripted and storyboarded. If I can clock it in under a minute I'll be sure to enter it.

Thanks to RepellingSpider and this year's prize contributors for running this contest! mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Ah drat. I shouldn't enter this, with THAC right around the corner and Alex and Derrick: Five Years Later still in progress.

Buuuutttttt...... mini/shifty

I'll most likely enter this, to make up for not being able to enter THAC. mini/tongue

- PlainBrick
Formerly MrLegoProductions
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/mrlego15/bg67_zps34f3201a.png
Youtube - My Latest Video

I've had an idea that may work for this contest. I might have to cut out a few things to make it qualify, but I'll see what I can do. mini/smile

Repelling Spider wrote:

9.) No entries based off 3rd party themes (i.e. Star Wars, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, etc).

That's a shame, I was looking forward to my 'LEGO STAR WARS CLONE CHRISTMAS FT. BATMAN AND ROBIN' but I'm sure I'll think of something. mini/wink

Honestly this is perfect timing too, a lot of us are itching for THAC and a 1 minute film is the perfect way to occupy our time, or at least for me anyway! Once I've finished my current project I'll be straight onto making this.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I might just do this, as a warmup to THAC.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I also applaud the ban on use of already established IPs. Let's see some original stories!

I'll most likely enter. That way, like Onion mentioned, I'll have something to do before THAC arrives and not just sit around and gobble down chips and salsa. I was already sort of planning a Christmas brickfilm, and now I get more incentive to finish it!!!

Last edited by GHB (December 12, 2013 (04:01pm))

Hmm.  I've got an idea for a quick film.  It would be a weird story if I do it, I don't even know if I'd call it a story. 
Huh.  I may try to enter after all.

I may have an idea....And looks like a great warm-up for THAC.
Thanks for hosting this again Spider!

Spider, would you mind terribly if I entered? I was already kind of planning to if you hosted the competition, but then I saw your plea for sponsors. mini/tongue

I probably won't do that well anyway, but seeing as I'm sponsoring the contest I'm not sure if I should enter or not.

Stupid question, but I gotta ask.

There are lots of things that happen during the holiday season, but are not specifically Christmas-y.
Examples: Drinking hot chocolate, making cookies/treats, etc.

What if we make a film about...let's just say a snowball fight for the sake of argument.
Usually during the holiday season it snows.
Not always and not everywhere in the world, but in most Christmas movies there's snow.
A lot of us have stories of snowball fights during the holiday season.
Or, having it snow on Christmas, then going out and have a snowball fight with a relative or neighbor.
Granted, a snowball fight isn't exactly Christmas-y.

I know this is a stretch, but I wanted to ask and test the boundaries of just how far we can go with a "secular" theme.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

dewfilms wrote:

Stupid question, but I gotta ask.

There are lots of things that happen during the holiday season, but are not specifically Christmas-y.
Examples: Drinking hot chocolate, making cookies/treats, etc.

What if we make a film about...let's just say a snowball fight for the sake of argument.
Usually during the holiday season it snows.
Not always and not everywhere in the world, but in most Christmas movies there's snow.
A lot of us have stories of snowball fights during the holiday season.
Or, having it snow on Christmas, then going out and have a snowball fight with a relative or neighbor.
Granted, a snowball fight isn't exactly Christmas-y.

I know this is a stretch, but I wanted to ask and test the boundaries of just how far we can go with a "secular" theme.

This is totally fine! We had quite a few entries that were like this. Twick a Brick did a video about Christmas Cookies. A couple of people did something in regards to snow balls I think. So yeah, just things that people think about when they think of Christmas. One of the judging criteria is Incorporation of Theme, so if you stray too far you may lose points in that area.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Spider, would you mind terribly if I entered? I was already kind of planning to if you hosted the competition, but then I saw your plea for sponsors. mini/tongue

I probably won't do that well anyway, but seeing as I'm sponsoring the contest I'm not sure if I should enter or not.

I think it would be fine if you entered, however I think it would probably be best if you weren't eligible to receive prizes, simply for that reason. The prizes are more like an added bonus to participating in the contest. The main purpose of this contest is just to bring about some really fun Christmas brickfilms, so why not make one that fits the contest? Hope that helps. Thank you once again for offering up some prizes, I know the people in the community and those participating will appreciate it too. mini/smile

Edit: An FAQ section has been added to the main post. I will be storing some of your questions and the answers so that others can more easily see them.

Can I use stuff besides lego? (I'll use lego, but can I use non-lego items as part of the set?)

I'm not random, I start conversations.