Topic: What music inspires you to Brickfilm?

I'm not sure if this is "film" as such, but I thought it would be an interesting question.  What sort of music do you like to use in your brickfilms (Incompetech aside mini/tongue ), and what sort of music gets you in the Brickfilming mood?  We can also use this thread to discuss different types of music, and, if you compose, different ideas on that subject.

For my part, if you're familiar with my films, you might be aware that I tend to use classical music so far (especially the Danse Macabre).  I tend to like music with a sort of off-kilter, spooky yet upbeat feel, especially if the scene in question is meant to be spooky or surreal.  Also worth mentioning would be this piece, which I seem to have a strange thing for right now.  In fact, I have a very specific scene in mind which would use this music, which I hope to animate at some point in a future. 

I also like listening to film soundtracks as well.  Generally, I prefer using music without words in my films thus far, but I certainly don't intend to stick to any sort of rule or formula, and I also have several songs with words in mind that I intend to use in the future.

So, what sort of music do you use in brickfilming, or what music gets you in the mood? mini/wink

(see what I did there?)

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Re: What music inspires you to Brickfilm?

This.

this

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I've used this from the soundtrack to the Mission in my THAC film. Other than that I've mainly used Incompetech.

I listen to a lot of soundtracks while animating, including
Pacific Rim
Skyfall
LOTR
The Mission
Inception
Harry Potter 8

I also tend to listen to Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov, Gorecki's Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, and the Joshua Tree album by U2.

New World Symphony
It's really good, particularly the 4th movement.

It's helped me imagine scenes from a film I wish to make called either The Absorbent Old Man or An Adventure in Bogeyland as well as my secret project.
I'm hoping to actually use it for the music in A.I. (the secret project), because some parts of it would fit spectacularly.  I also named one of the secret project's characters after the composer because he has such a cool name.
Dvořák

"Model Girl" by Graham Hughes

No link available, sorry.

LASF wrote:

"Model Girl" by Graham Hughes

No link available, sorry.

here it is : - )

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

probably:
justin bieber BELIEBERZ 5eva!!
lil wayne
drake
nicki minaj
1D
miley cyrus

they r my top faves

TIMEWAR was originally going to be a Kraftwerk music video, but I chickened out whilst animating the first shot (hence the really lame title). I still had 'The Man Machine' playing on loop whilst animating though...

YouTube
Max, She/They

There are lots of things that inspire me to write, but I can only narrow it down to anything done by Hans Zimmer right now.

Stuff like this.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

It depends on what mood I am in but lately it has been the score for the Fountain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=564jYE1V9bQ

I listen to alot of classical music and soundtracks from films and videogames.
When it comes to classical, I prefer symphonies, especially those of Beethoven, Mozart and the New World Symphony of Dvorak, as Squid said is great. When it comes to film soundtracks anything goes really, from more traditional to electronic. I love the music of Hans Zimmer, John Williams and Danny Elfman, to name a few.

Classical:
-Beethoven 5th Symphony, 7th Symphony; Moonlight Sonata (listen to it reversed, it is very inspiring)
-Mozart 40th Symphony
-Pachelbel Canon in D minor
-Holst The Planets (This really lets your imagination soar!)

I've been practicing composing in a free program called MuseScore, and it is awesome! I hope to use some of my original compositions in films, soon.

Last edited by BrickStory (March 13, 2014 (06:57am))

Ah, yes, good ole' Glenn Miller.

One particular song that I enjoy listening too, and actually am able to listen to it on my mom's phonograph, is the Japanese Sandman, composed by Paul Whiteman. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tef8RQF3XTU

Hans Zimmer makes many good things, but otherwise, I tend to find myself usually listening to the supremely brilliant soundtrack of Last of the Mohicans - one of my all time favourite movies.

I like Monstercat on YouTube

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Kizar wrote:

Isn't Monstercat that channel that puts together the latest dubstep/techno music (like UKF)?

I'm pretty obsessed with James Brown's "The Payback" right now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7pojXgkIRg

Call me weird if you will, but I like to listen to music from the 1940s and from the civil war when I animate.

I also listen to soundtracks like normal people though....

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

LASF wrote:
Kizar wrote:

Isn't Monstercat that channel that puts together the latest dubstep/techno music (like UKF)?

Yes it is

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

PushOverProductions wrote:

Call me weird if you will, but I like to listen to music from the 1940s and from the civil war when I animate.

I also listen to soundtracks like normal people though....

Normal...normal, well okay then mini/tongue

What kind of things from the civil war?  The only songs I'm familiar with are When Johnny Comes Marching Home and The Battle Hymn of the Republic, both of which I like a lot but don't listen to them regularly or anything.